Navigating Mail Stations Requires Common Sense

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2015, 09:54 PM
Gold member
Default Navigating Mail Stations Requires Common Sense

No common sense & refusing to obey the rules caused my being backed into today. In our neighborhood mail station as you pull in there is a "no left" turn sign, the parking spots are a bit slanted or should I say angled to indicate a one way direction. SOME people grab that first or second parking spot and then when they leave, rather than drive around the mail bldg. and out they insist on saving 2 seconds and back up until they are just past the exit lane so they can then drive out it. WRONG, FOOLISH & STUPID.
As a result, a woman in her car backed into me in my golf cart. I laid on my very loud horn but since her radio was quite loud she didn't hear me. People Please, just drive around the mail station and follow the one way rule. It is not rocket science!
Old 06-08-2015, 10:27 PM
Gold member

Asking them to use common sense assumes:

a) they have some;

b) they care one rat's rear-end what you or anyone expects for an orderly society.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:26 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Think this more of an entitlement issue than a lack of common sense. Rules are for fools. Just ask these folks.

I'm just glad that it was your golf cart that got hurt and not you.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-09-2015, 04:44 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Dear OP:

You need to be specific as to what mail station. Not all stations are designed in the same manner. Some have entrance/exit located in front of the building while others entrance/exit is in the front and one in the back of the building the former more convenient and accessible to the same street.

I agree with your premise and I do prefer to enter one way and exit another.

However by design you won;t find many people who can't back out of their parking space, unless of course they baked into the parking space which in my view is even more troublesome. And by design you don't see any markings in a mail station indicating a preferred flow of traffic.

Other than at mail stations I make it a practice not to back out of a parking lot.

The cause of this accident was "unsafe backing"and irrespective of flow of traffic that would not have changed your outcome.

Finally you will find that term "common sense" subject to interpretations. For instance I believe many people probably thought the Wright Brothers had no common sense at all with trying to fly.

Truly sorry to hear of your mishap.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 06-09-2015, 06:48 AM
Eternal Member

Were either you or the cart damaged by this happening? Did the lady stop her car, see if there was any damage and apologize?
Old 06-09-2015, 07:07 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

The main problem I've seen at ours is the folks that jump back in their car, throw it in reverse, and not even look back. They are looking forward toward the street trying to estimate if they will have to stop getting back on the street.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:34 AM
Sage
Default Get out with my life

I have to agree that mail stations, in general, are like playing Russian Roulette trying to get in and out of them safely. I see people pull into mail stations that barely slow down after coming off the main roads, they might look side to side before backing out but they rarely look behind them. Maybe because the older population can't turn their heard that far??? It seems like complete mayhem during the busy hours trying to retrieve mail. I have learned that if I go later in the day, say around 7-8 in the evening, you can have the space practically to yourself. Also walking helps prevent congestion and you can navigate easier.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:10 AM

I have found there are many living here with no common sense. They talk about the millennialis being the I and ME generation well welcome to the Villages. I thinks all postal stations should be one way IN and ONE WAY OUT. I have seen (mostly men) whip there golf carts around so they are facing out with little regard to others around them. Then they sit in their vehicles reading mail and when ready to go put car in reverse and not even look to see if another vehicle or even a person is walking behind. They are like in another world same thing goes on in Publix. It's like parking lot attendants are needed everywhere here.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Were either you or the cart damaged by this happening? Did the lady stop her car, see if there was any damage and apologize?

My first thoughts too.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

If Common Sense was required to reside in TV, it would be a very desolate place.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I guess I am lucky because I never have any problems at our mail station. Oh, maybe it's cuz hubby always goes to get the mail.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Sage

This OP is right on. Ours isn't like the one they describe but that said folks drive into the lot like they're on a straight road. Some take 2 spots then back up w/out looking to see if there's anyone coming. In turning into the lots, they make a wide turn as well so if one is leaving you have to take extra care no matter what.

That said though, the parking lot(s) at the plazas aren't much better. Just today at Colony I stopped my cart to wait for a spot (3rd one in on the left) so I could take it when the person left. He had a pick-up so I left plenty of room for him to back out, just in case he couldn't see me. A man came behind me and apparently got tired of waiting and yells at me to get going. I told him I was sorry but I was waiting for the car to back out as I wanted the spot. He told me to go and get another one! I then told him "patience, please!" He lost "maybe" 30 to 60 seconds in his "busy" day!!
Old 06-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
The main problem I've seen at ours is the folks that jump back in their car, throw it in reverse, and not even look back. They are looking forward toward the street trying to estimate if they will have to stop getting back on the street.
Or they are reading the mail in their lap while backing up.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

I thought navigating the roundabouts were wild, but things I've/we've seen at our mail station in St. James are incredible - the backing out of the spots, leaving carts/cars parked half in the spot and half out in the drive lane, driving full bore into and out of the mail station with no regard for anyone else - I could go on about it. I thought drivers in STL were bad when we were there, but the drivers here are wild and crazy.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:10 PM

I almost got run over by a car backing out of a space as I was walking across the lot at the Tamarind Grove Mail Station. The driver threw the car in reverse and backed out of the spot without ever looking. Fortunately, I was quick enough to get out of her way. Tamarind Grove is especially bad because we have cars and carts using the mail station as a shortcut to the houses on the East side.
Closed Thread

Tags
mail, drive, people, parking, loud, sense, station, backed, common, result, rules, woman, obey, car, stupid, foolish, lane, exit, golf, wrong, past, laid, hear, follow, rule

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.