Need Advice on Hiring Moving Vans From the North East

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2020, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Jimmay,

I also am moving from the DC area down to TV and could use some of your insight on the moving industry.
My plan is to hire a moving company to load all my furniture and boxes and then store it here (DC) or maybe there, haven't decided that yet. We will rent for a month or two down at TV and will look to buy soon. Once we find a house to purchase we will need to contact the moving company and make arraignments to have it all shipped down to TV. Any thoughts, tips or advise?

Thank you, John ( User name OU812 )
I would not do what you are doing. Can you stay at your current location longer say 6 months.

Rent for a couple of months and see where you want to be and if you like this place at all.

Once you buy a resale might take a few months to close. If you want a new build another 3-4 months after you decide.

I have had stuff in storage in the past and
1. It is expensive
2. Somehow stuff gets broken.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:42 PM

Important to check that they are not just brokers. Look under Better business bureau to see how many trucks they have, complaints lodged etc. I moved from the Jersey Shore this month. You should have an exact list of sizes and number of boxes etc. They can give an estimate without coming to look at stuff. They factor in weight of items also.Don't be bullied into tipping each guy. Read reviews of customers and yes, they are probably paid or who knows who write them. Get multiple estimates in writting. I was very nervous about the whole thing and did not have anything I felt was important, put on the truck. My car was packed! I had 1 BR worth of stuff and paid just under $3k all together.
Know that my stuff was suppose to be delivered in 4-5 days but it was 7. If you only need boxes transported, look into options. These guys want to wrap, box and disassemble. That's where the price can go up. Use that to barter with. Know they are extremely busy.
Closed Thread

Tags
moving, place, estimates, stuff, online

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.