Need Clarification

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
Correction Indy...the HOPA itself does not restrict ownership to 55+, but an individual community can. Just like HOPA doesn't restrict residency to 19 and older, but the community can add that addition rule. In my previous residence, we could not purchase the house unless one buyer was 55+.
I stand corrected. I should have restricted my criteria to The Villages. Your previous community must have had their hands full when owners' estates included under age heirs.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
I stand corrected. I should have restricted my criteria to The Villages. Your previous community must have had their hands full when owners' estates included under age heirs.
It was small compared to the communities in FL. It was actually (one of many) age-restricted developments within an otherwise "normal" city. They had rules in place to cover all contingencies, and the HOA board of directors would meet and vote on unique issues on a case by case basis. But their rules were very stringent and I'm sure, complicated. They employed an attorney to oversee the decisions of the HOA to ensure they were consistent and legal. But when it came to buying and selling, it was pretty straight forward.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV2015 View Post
So I am confused - where does the Fair Act law play out in the scenario you mentioned? Are the TV sales rep only allowing 55yr old or older to purchase and not allowing under 55 to purchase. Seems like age discrimination and not abiding by the Fair Act Law.
It is not a concern, since the villages is currently only about 8% households that don't have a 55+ owner. I know this because I closed in January, and I am 51. To be honest, I had to bring up the issue with the villages staff, they forgot to ask. They don't seem to worried about it. Why are you worried about it? I am not sure why you seem so concerned. It is really not an issue - on top of it, we are ALL getting older
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 03-20-2015, 07:46 PM
Veteran member

My final view on this - I am 51 and the villages did not care if I lived here or rented. I was told specifically that they track this, and only something like 8% of the houses don't meet the HOPA requirement, so they are nowhere near the point of having to worry about it. From my experience, the majority of people we see when we are in the villages at a minimum are old enough to remember the Beatles coming to America, so they are over 55. I am more of a Styx/REO Speedwagon generation guy. I was born in 1963, and don't really consider myself a baby boomer (I know some classify us as such, but we have little in common with the Beatles/Vietnam crowd, and a lot more in common with Gen X).
What I am trying to say is - the majority of the homes in the villages obviously meet the 55+ requirement - I am not sure how anybody could think any differently.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 03-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Gold member

Champion6.
I am positive.

It is a golf front cul de sac home. The entire street was built out and sold under the custom design program, with the exception of the last 2 homes. These were started and the owners bought them while under construction.

Maybe they simply put a deposit down and then closed after the home was turn key. But I do know they "bought" before the home was finished.

Good neighbors. They were just fortunate enough to retire early.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.