Need Cutting the Cable Advice

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2022, 09:40 AM
Default Need Cutting the Cable Advice

After a recent thread on here about options for TV/internet other than Xfinity, my husband and I are interested in gathering more information but need help. My husband works from home and needs reliable high speed internet but we’re also sick of paying ridiculously high cable bills. Is there someone locally that we can hire to advise us of all the pros and cons of the various streaming services? It seems overwhelming to us and we want/need to keep our internet service intact but choose the best TV streaming option for us. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2022, 09:48 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

First, you need to determine what internet service is available to your house. It varies.

If Spectrum in option...........this is the top provider (for price, speed and service).

As far as streaming services, I couldn't be happier with YouTubeTV.
The great thing is this can travel with you if you are away from home.

There will be lots of posts and other options...........but I don't think the number of options is very large.

Good Luck.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,727 Times in 5,249 Posts

Go to the website "suppose.tv". It is a free service where you can list all the channels that you want, and it will display which streaming services you need and the cost.
Old 11-18-2022, 10:17 AM
Gold member

The VHA does cutting the cord programs.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 11-18-2022, 10:26 AM

You might consider Quantum Fiber which has a fixed price for life. Quantum has two packages: Up to 940 Mbps for $65 per month and up to 200 Mbps for $30 per month. We have had Quantum for a year now and it has been very reliable. The Wifi works everywhere in the house and lanai including a TV in the garage.

We stream using ROKU devices on the TVs. We stream primarily through YouTubeTV. It seems O.K. except we have some problems with recorded shows/movies. Sometimes the recorded movies will not play. I like YouTubeTV because you get local channels plus a good variety of streaming channels. We also have an Amazon Prime subscription, so there is a lot of programming thru that. You can also get Amazon Music for free with your Amazon Prime subscription but it will only work on one device.
Old 11-18-2022, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,727 Times in 5,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
You might consider Quantum Fiber which has a fixed price for life. Quantum has two packages: Up to 940 Mbps for $65 per month and up to 200 Mbps for $30 per month. We have had Quantum for a year now and it has been very reliable. The Wifi works everywhere in the house and lanai including a TV in the garage.

We stream using ROKU devices on the TVs. We stream primarily through YouTubeTV. It seems O.K. except we have some problems with recorded shows/movies. Sometimes the recorded movies will not play. I like YouTubeTV because you get local channels plus a good variety of streaming channels. We also have an Amazon Prime subscription, so there is a lot of programming thru that. You can also get Amazon Music for free with your Amazon Prime subscription but it will only work on one device.
What do you mean by one device? I thought you could access Amazon Music from any device connected to the internet.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
First, you need to determine what internet service is available to your house. It varies.

If Spectrum in option...........this is the top provider (for price, speed and service).

As far as streaming services, I couldn't be happier with YouTubeTV.
The great thing is this can travel with you if you are away from home.

There will be lots of posts and other options...........but I don't think the number of options is very large.

Good Luck.
Very helpful. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2022, 11:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,970 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
What do you mean by one device? I thought you could access Amazon Music from any device connected to the internet.
I believe it will only play on one device at a time
Old 11-18-2022, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:

While is DESPISE Xfinity/ComCrap for reasons other than QOS, Quantum fiber is probably NOT AVAILABLE in 60% of TV. Wish I had it but NORTH of 466A it's very scarce if available at all, kind of like natural gas for cooking. Around here, Xfinity is really the only FAST internet service option. I have Xfinity 1GIG service (yes, I don't need 1GIG , but I have it "because I can") and TV for less than the cost of Youtube TV, or ROKU and internet "ala carte". Xfinity also has Xfinity Stream included so I can also take it with me anywhere if I needed to but some channels are limited on stream. I have tried both Verizon and T-Mobile "5G internet service" just to test it but it is so location specific it's pretty useless for me due to highly variable and very low bandwidth.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:06 PM

Just switched to Spectrum and everything seems to be working fine, for less money.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:48 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertScott View Post
Just switched to Spectrum and everything seems to be working fine, for less money.
Jus wondering............Who was your prior provider??
Old 11-18-2022, 07:56 PM

We have Spectrum for Internet.

For streaming, we use Roku units on all 3 TVs. We also subscribe to Sling. We have been very happy with Sling. We will switch Sling to both of their channel packages for ESPN during college football and return to a single package after the season ends. Sling allows changes anytime and it takes about 30 seconds to make those changes. With Sling, everything is done over the Internet on their website.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Do you have something written that says those price are fixed for life? The reason I ask is that their webpage does not say that. Before the brand name change from CenturyLink to Quantum, Centurylink did offer a "one price for life", which is what I have had for several years.

Quote:

Old 11-18-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Did you get the 200mps or 940mps?
Old 11-18-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Do you have something written that says those price are fixed for life? The reason I ask is that their webpage does not say that. Before the brand name change from CenturyLink to Quantum, Centurylink did offer a "one price for life", which is what I have had for several years.
Will be waiting to see the answer too. We have had Centurylink 40MBPS for $45 total a month for life for awhile now. 200 Mbps for $30 per month sounds better.
Closed Thread

Tags
streaming, high, husband, internet, cable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.