Need photogenic orange tree

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Veteran member
Default Need photogenic orange tree

Our 7yo granddaughter informed us that Flat Stanley would be paying us a visit and needs to have his picture taken by an orange tree. Said picture will be posted, along with other photos, in the 2nd grade classroom so it is important that the oranges stand out nicely. My CGQ (Cool Grandma Quotient) is rather low at the moment (the result on not knowing who Flat Stanley is, and not in the least influenced by knowing who Taylor Swift is) so I'm a little desperate. Anyone know of an orange tree that would be appropriate for a photo shoot?

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 PM

Oranges should be picked by now and the blossom is out, but try over Orange Blossom as there are a lot of trees that are still full of fruit.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Sage

I don't know of one locally, but if you take SR25 past the post office and past SR42 toward Ocklawaha there are orange groves on the right near enough to the road to get a picture.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
I don't know of one locally, but if you take SR25 past the post office and past SR42 toward Ocklawaha there are orange groves on the right near enough to the road to get a picture.
Linda, there were some trees still loaded as we went to Gator Joes last week!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Default Flat Stanley Project

Flat Stanley is a character in a children's book...who is mailed to another part of the country...thus, learning about cities, states, geography, customs, sights, etc. Many many teachers have their students make a Flat Stanley, sometimes as themselves, and then students send them to relatives or friends in other parts of the country. The goal is to learn about that city or state. Pictures are taken with Flat Stanley who is then returned with postcards, pictures, a journal, etc. Creativity is the name of the game here, and it is amazing to see how creative these relatives and friends can be as they help students learn about a new city or state. I don't know where any orange trees are with good looking oranges, but I do hope you'll be sure to take Flat Stanley's picture in a golf cart as well as around The Villages doing some of our fun activities. Since an orange tree was requested, I assume they are going for crops of Florida. You might want to check for more specific information. By the way, you'll have a ball with Flat Stanley. Be sure to post pictures so we can see how he enjoyed his stay.

After a lifetime of adventures, the adventure of a lifetime.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Sage

Go to Sweet Bay, buy a bag of oranges and tie them to a tree (not in the bag of course) in your yard. Kids won't know.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Go to Sweet Bay, buy a bag of oranges and tie them to a tree (not in the bag of course) in your yard. Kids won't know.
Honestly! You guys. This is supposed to be educational!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:31 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Wait! Wait! That's very cool, your Granddaughter could help and it WOULD be educational because she would be demonstrating that oranges are seasonal!

Together you could attach the fruit with obviously colorful duct tape and make smiley faces on the oranges. Then make a sign that says, 'We hung on just for you Flat Stanley!' and show your Grandaughter's hand holding the sign in the photo.

If you present the idea as a fun way to teach other kids, she will LOVE it and you'll BOTH have giggly fun!
Most oranges still on the tree now aren't going to look as glorious as kids will expect anyway.... do consider it!!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
Wait! Wait! That's very cool, your Granddaughter could help and it WOULD be educational because she would be demonstrating that oranges are seasonal!

Together you could attach the fruit with obviously colorful duct tape and make smiley faces on the oranges. Then make a sign that says, 'We hung on just for you Flat Stanley!' and show your Grandaughter's hand holding the sign in the photo.

If you present the idea as a fun way to teach other kids, she will LOVE it and you'll BOTH have giggly fun!
Most oranges still on the tree now aren't going to look as glorious as kids will expect anyway.... do consider it!!!!
That's a good idea, but I thought Linda's grandchild won't be here. Only Flat Stanley will be here?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
That's a good idea, but I thought Linda's grandchild won't be here. Only Flat Stanley will be here?
oooh.... silly me, I got all carried away...
Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
oooh.... silly me, I got all carried away...
I still have oranges on my valencia orange tree. PM me and let's see if it'll do.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:39 PM

Flat Stanley visited us last year!! We had a great visit
Took a picture of him on a grapefruit tree.
Our grandson particularly liked the picture of him in the golf cart.
Have fun, Linda!!
PS Still laughing over your CGQ & Flat Stanley, Taylor Swift comment!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the ideas everyone! Texasfal I am sending you a pm. If your Valencias don't show up well enough, I am considering a little photo-enhancement.

Unfortunately we may have another problem. Flat Stanley should have arrived yesterday, but he seems to have gone on a walk-about. (The 2nd graders addressed and stamped their own envelopes, so ...) We are leaving for Syracuse at the end of the month, so he really needs to stop fooling around. If he doesn't get here in time, I may yet resort to hanging oranges from snow covered trees. Either that or photoshopping him into a picture I take before we leave.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 03-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmealgirls View Post
Flat Stanley visited us last year!! We had a great visit
Took a picture of him on a grapefruit tree.
Our grandson particularly liked the picture of him in the golf cart.
Have fun, Linda!!
PS Still laughing over your CGQ & Flat Stanley, Taylor Swift comment!
Our fear is that Flat Stan has taken a hike (i.e lost in the mail), thus my question. Are all Flat Stans alike? If so, do you still have your picture of him in the grapefruit tree? Hm-m-m. Maybe a little subterfuge is in order.

As to what figures into the CGQ calculation, the difference between 7yo and 10yo girls is amazing. Luckily 5yo boys think you're cool if you just kick a soccer ball with them.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 PM

If you want to improve your grandma cool rating send a couple of bags of Orange Slices candy with Flat Stanley back to your granddaughter. She can share them with her classmates. They can be picked up at the Russell Stover Outlet.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.