The Nerve of Some People

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

My first encounter with a CA occurred on a group in trip France. It was a small white poodle, very well behaved. The dog could sense when her mistress's blood pressure went up and reacted. Holding the dog brought it down. (Of course, the mistress's cigarette chain smoking could not have been doing her blood pressure any good.) The French love dogs, especially poodles. The pup was no problem at all and very popular wherever we went, even in Versailles!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
Side note to this thread.
Is there a ADA expert on this forum ?
I would like to talk to one.
Not about a dog.
Oh Cisco!
Old 04-22-2015, 06:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Oh Cisco!
Cisco is serious

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 04-22-2015, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Not an expert, but the ADA document (I posted the link earlier) appears to be very clear, you cannot do anything with respect to a service animal or apparently a comfort animal.......
The way this document is written, I would be real nervous even telling a person with a CA that I was leaving because of their animal.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:03 PM
Sage
Default The Nerve of Some People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
Cisco is serious
And rightly so. I've talked with numerous "experts" about comfort animals, and the responses are all over the board. I think we need to have an opinion from the attorney for the ADA agency to settle this.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:16 PM
Sage

Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals

Who is the ADA National Network?

Printer-friendly version
The ADA National Network consists of 10 regional centers and an ADA Knowledge Translation Center. The regional centers are distributed throughout the United States to provide local assistance and foster implementation of the ADA. Funded by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR), the ADA National Network provides information, guidance and training on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), tailored to meet the needs of business, government and individuals at local, regional and national levels. The Network is not an enforcement or regulatory agency, but a helpful resource supporting the ADA's mission to "make it possible for everyone with a disability to live a life of freedom and equality."
Old 04-22-2015, 07:22 PM
Sage

Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered service animals either. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the individuals disability. It does not matter if a person has a note from a doctor that states that the person has a disability and needs to have the animal for emotional support. A doctors letter does not turn an animal into a service animal.

This will not end the discussion regarding CA or ES identified animals.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:10 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Sadly, she can get away with it. All she has to do is claim the dog is an emotional support dog. Of course, the restaurant can legally ask for proof, but who's going to risk that mess?

ES dogs are trained. They are especially helpful for people suffering from PTSD. Those dogs (and other animals) are recognized by the ADA when the individual has a note from a doctor, therapist or psychiatrist stating there is a need for the animal.

On the plus side, at least she wasn't carrying a pig.
You are entirely correct. We even saw a dog on a cruise ship recently for the same reason: emotional support. Lucky dog
Old 04-22-2015, 09:04 PM

There was a thread about renting houses to people with service animals. Even if you advertise no pets, they can rent and aren't responsible for additional cleaning fees. It was an emotional discussion. There was a poodle in church a few weeks ago. Sat on the woman's lap. She came in late and left at communion. It wore a vest but I couldn't see if there was wording on it. She sat in front of us and I hate to admit how distracting it was even though well behaved.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Eternal Member

Go to the websites of the major airlines and you will see their policies on allowing Emotional Support Animals to travel with the passenger.

It is not like just showing up at the airport with your dog. The airline must know about it in advance.

Personally, I would rather sit next to a well-trained dog or cat on the plane than next to a crying child. And do not tell me I am alone on the preference!
Old 04-22-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Go to the websites of the major airlines and you will see their policies on allowing Emotional Support Animals to travel with the passenger.

It is not like just showing up at the airport with your dog. The airline must know about it in advance.

Personally, I would rather sit next to a well-trained dog or cat on the plane than next to a crying child. And do not tell me I am alone on the preference!
That's lame what if the dog is a whinging hound , I would pick a well behaved child any day
Old 04-22-2015, 09:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I don't think whinging hounds are normally used for service dogs.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Those who get the online certificates know they are frauds. What they don't understand is the harm they are doing to those who truly need ES animals -- they are being accused of the abuse perpetrated by these frauds and condemned and vilified because of it.
Why do you assume they "don't understand..." what the consequences are? Do you think the able bodied people fraudulently obtaining Handicapped Parking stickers don't understand about the actual handicapped peoples plight? A while back I read about a guy suing for a Handicapped Sticker on the grounds that he was suffering from a handicap; it was depression. Yeah... that really merits a shorter walk to the grocery store.
Everyone is just be too afraid to crack down on this abuse. Someone might say they're "against the handicapped" and "cruel and heartless"... Then everyone jumps on the "see how much I care" bandwagon and nothing gets done.

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Old 04-23-2015, 03:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgolfer View Post
That's lame what if the dog is a whinging hound , I would pick a well behaved child any day
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I don't think whinging hounds are normally used for service dogs.

Shouldn't "whinging" (sic) be capitalized?
Is that a new breed???
Old 04-23-2015, 05:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Shouldn't "whinging" (sic) be capitalized?

Is that a new breed???

I think he was just winging it.

I would like to sit next to a dog, just about anytime. I also love children, even if they are whining, and I have some great tricks to get them to stop. Kids, old men and drunks just love me.

But sometimes I think people take advantage of others and use excuses that are lies like I am guessing the women carrying a dog into TooJays was doing.

It wouldn't bother me, but it would bother others, and generally they aren't allowed, and that is the point. Just follow the rules, please Lady with the small dog. You are making it harder for people to understand those who love furries.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.