Nest thermostat alternative?

Old 04-26-2024, 08:58 AM
Veteran member

These are great insights and responses, thank you.

As I have had head-banging frustrations with Honeywell in the past (pre-set convoluted 7 and 14 day programs, non-intuitive pains in the derriere, etc.) I will investigate the ecobees first.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:23 AM

Ecobee
Old 04-26-2024, 09:29 AM
Default Honeywell Home Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
For years I used a Nest thermostat and was happy with its intuitive user interface. I HATE those ones with pre-set M-F 8-5 defaults because they are hard to manipulate and control. I never worked M-F 8-5 and I don't work now, so they were always a huge PITA.

Well, I wanted to upgrade to a thermostat that I could control from anywhere in the world with temperature and humidity readings and settings. Turns out, Google is discontinuing the Nest line.

Sooo, what is a good, solid, easy to use, internet accessible and settable alternative?
We have a Honeywell Home Smart in Arizona.. Love it. No workweek bothers.

Robot or human? (link name confusing but works fine)

Also, here is Buyers Guide for 10 Best 2024 WiFi stats.
Best WiFi Thermostats 2024

Last edited by RoadToad; 04-26-2024 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:
For years I used a Nest thermostat and was happy with its intuitive user interface. I HATE those ones with pre-set M-F 8-5 defaults because they are hard to manipulate and control. I never worked M-F 8-5 and I don't work now, so they were always a huge PITA.

Well, I wanted to upgrade to a thermostat that I could control from anywhere in the world with temperature and humidity readings and settings. Turns out, Google is discontinuing the Nest line.

Sooo, what is a good, solid, easy to use, internet accessible and settable alternative?
Don't know where you got your information, but Nest thermostats are not being discontinued. Not to say the Nest app may go away in the future, but you can control a Nest thermostat with the Google Home app too.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:59 AM
Default Thermostat

Installed a complete new Carrier HVAC in January.
Came with ECOBEE thermostat, that is working GREAT, so far!
Will be going North for summer season, expect to be able to control/monitor from there.
Really easy to adjust.
Don't think you could go wrong with ECOBEE.
Old 04-27-2024, 04:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,144 Times in 884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRcorvette View Post
We have been using the Honeywell thermostat since 2014 and love it. It does not adjust the temperature automatically but you can do so on your phone or tablet from anywhere! You can buy them at any Big Box store or online. You will need an AC company to install because they have to do something out at the air handler unit.
It's true that there is a shift at the AC unit but it's not rocket science. Don't pay too much if you get a tech to do it for you. It's about 15 minutes to install it all if you know what you're doing.
Old 04-27-2024, 05:59 AM
Veteran member

I can find no information stating that Google is discontinuing Nest thermostats. They are stopping a few things like Nest Secure (alarm system of some kind) and "Works with Nest" support.

That being said I think I like my Ecobee in Florida better than my Nest in Massachusetts. I had to turn on the learning feature on Nest. My wife is a realtor so the Nest couldn't really learn her home and away routine because nothing about being a realtor is routine.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
I can find no information stating that Google is discontinuing Nest thermostats. They are stopping a few things like Nest Secure (alarm system of some kind) and "Works with Nest" support.

That being said I think I like my Ecobee in Florida better than my Nest in Massachusetts. I had to turn on the learning feature on Nest. My wife is a realtor so the Nest couldn't really learn her home and away routine because nothing about being a realtor is routine.
Really? I find a bunch of info that they are being discontinued. Go to the major search engine that rhymes with Boogle, and type in "Nest thermostat discontinued." Every response below the "Reddit" top response indicates that Nest is on its way out. Even if these answers are not exactly correct the number of them are indicative that the date of expiration for Nest is either here or fast approaching. Hence my original post.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:43 AM

I just had an Ecobee Premium installed. I love it. It has two remote sensors and averages the temperature of all three locations instead of just the main screen. You can tell it how many minutes minimum per hour to run your fan (keeps all balanced out overnight). This thing is just amazing. Bought it online at Costco for $200. Chuck Farrell put it in for $99 (had to remove the Carrier relay on the HVAC unit etc). Can’t recommend it enough.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:22 PM

Ecobee, Ecobee,...Ecobee. They are a Canadian based company with unbelievable customer support. I installed the Alexa Ecobee in my house and they worked with me over the phone sending pictures back and forth. I sent them a picture of my current wiring and they sent me back one where the wires should go. You don't get that kind of service anywhere anymore...and for free. I've now had it over 6 years with no complaints.
Old 04-27-2024, 02:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Really? I find a bunch of info that they are being discontinued. Go to the major search engine that rhymes with Boogle, and type in "Nest thermostat discontinued." Every response below the "Reddit" top response indicates that Nest is on its way out. Even if these answers are not exactly correct the number of them are indicative that the date of expiration for Nest is either here or fast approaching. Hence my original post.
I could not find one article, using your exact search criteria, stating the thermostats are being discontinued. They are discontinuing Nest Secure and "Works with Nest".

Do you have a link to any source?
Old 04-27-2024, 02:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
I could not find one article, using your exact search criteria, stating the thermostats are being discontinued. They are discontinuing Nest Secure and "Works with Nest".

Do you have a link to any source?
Yeahhhh, I might be able to find one... Keeping in mind, the Reddit link discusses the thermostat itself, other links (As stated in my original and subsequent posts) indicate the supporting architecture and ecosystem is no longer being supported or developed. That would mean any underlying appliances using same are headed down the immediate road to obsolescence. I mean, when they started taking floppy disk drives out of computers it didn't mean they were discontinuing floppy disks... but the writing was on the wall, no?

A kinda rhetorical reply, but did you even try?

When I search exactly as indicated, this is my results screen, hence my concerns and inquiries regarding Nest products being discontinued. While the thermostat is not specifically stated, the direction they are headed in ceasing support and development for Nest products is inclusive with concerns for the thermostat itself:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The next link is from google's own support pages. Ya know the folks that bought out and own Nest:

Support for Nest Secure ended - Google Nest Help

Google to discontinue these Nest products from April 2024: Here’s what you need to know | Technology News - The Indian Express

Nest Secure Shutting Down: Alternatives, What to Know - NerdWallet

Google announces the end of multiple Nest products. What you need to know | ZDNET

https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/8/24...-alternatives#

https://www.failory.com/google/nest-...%20difference.

https://talk.tidbits.com/t/google-ki...cosystem/26216

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nest/commen...tes/?rdt=41548
Old 04-27-2024, 02:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Yeahhhh, I might be able to find one... Keeping in mind, the Reddit link discusses the thermostat itself, other links (As stated in my original and subsequent posts) indicate the supporting architecture and ecosystem is no longer being supported or developed. That would mean any underlying appliances using same are headed down the immediate road to obsolescence. I mean, when they started taking floppy disk drives out of computers it didn't mean they were discontinuing floppy disks... but the writing was on the wall, no?

A kinda rhetorical reply, but did you even try?

When I search exactly as indicated, this is my results screen, hence my concerns and inquiries regarding Nest products being discontinued. While the thermostat is not specifically stated, the direction they are headed in ceasing support and development for Nest products is inclusive with concerns for the thermostat itself:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The next link is from google's own support pages. Ya know the folks that bought out and own Nest:

Support for Nest Secure ended - Google Nest Help

Google to discontinue these Nest products from April 2024: Here’s what you need to know | Technology News - The Indian Express

Nest Secure Shutting Down: Alternatives, What to Know - NerdWallet

Google announces the end of multiple Nest products. What you need to know | ZDNET

https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/8/24...-alternatives#

https://www.failory.com/google/nest-...%20difference.

https://talk.tidbits.com/t/google-ki...cosystem/26216

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nest/commen...tes/?rdt=41548

I don't want to sound rude but you have to read the articles, not just headlines. Did I even try? Yup, same results as you but I read the articles. Nest Secure is a security system. They are not discontinuing the thermostats.

ETA: Every link in your post shows Nest Secure, not the thermostats, save one link. That link talks about gen 2 support being discontinued and is from 12 years ago.

I read your post again and now I get it. You somehow deduced that Google is discontinuing the thermostats because you read that they are getting rid of other Nest products. But you told us that they were discontinuing the thermostats. Fake News.

Here's what I get reading the articles: Google is consolidating. They are getting rid of Drop Cam support, which was old tech that they bought. They only want to support Google Nest cameras. They bought ADT, so they are getting rid of Nest Secure in favor of the ADT alternative. They don't want to support 2 different systems. They are getting rid of "works with nest" so that you have to buy their stuff to work with their stuff. Sort of an Apple model I would think.

As noted by someone a few posts up, they likely do away with the Nest App, which is fine. I'm using the Google Home app anyhow.

Last edited by frayedends; 04-27-2024 at 03:02 PM.

Tags
nest, thermostat, control, alternative, m-f

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.