Never fear the mean people again

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2009, 03:27 AM
Eternal Member
Default Never fear the mean people again

Rejoice! Help is on the way. For those who feel threatened by the bullies in the Politics thread or elsewhere, fear no more. If you feel there are nasty people out there making critical comments about you or possibly even ganging up on you, there's someone looking out for you.

HR 1966 has been introduced by Rep Linda Sanchez (D, CA.) to provide the oversight and protection we all want and need so much. She has proposed that the following be added to Chapter 41 of Title 18 of the US Code:

"Whoever transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication, with the intent to coerce, intimidate, harass, or cause substantial emotional distress to a person, using electronic means to support severe, repeated, and hostile behavior, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

For details, see http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1966

`
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 05-08-2009, 04:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Boy Howdy. Is this proposal retroactive?
Old 05-08-2009, 04:57 AM

Such a measure is the worst piece of legislation I have heard yet. Abandoning or muzzling free speech is liberty lost. Regardless of your politics, don't go down that path, there is great peril there.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default I suspect the bill is a response by a representative to a contituent

or constituents request/complaint. Like most bills that do not make it out of committee, this one probably won't as it involves possible constitutional violation, let alone the issues of enforcement.....and makes no sense what so ever. Maybe the constituents belong to a political forum

BTK
Old 05-08-2009, 05:33 AM
Platinum member
Default Maybe

someone has sent her something that she didn't like and this is her way of dealing with it. For this she makes the big bucks??
Old 05-08-2009, 06:35 AM

This would be a terrible think. Who would determine what is OK to say.
DON'T LET MORE FREEDOM ESCAPE
Old 05-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahsh...chool-bullying

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 05-08-2009, 06:58 AM

I guess the anti-bully legislation would cross the line into "over protectionism" by big brother. However the group on this site that is more dangerous are the back stabbers. They say or write one thing to your face but then twist your words to their advntage when with their cliques distorting the real issue. I would rather deal with a bully because at least you know where they're coming from whether they're right or wrong. The others are just lonely, hurtful people who need such conflict to give meaning to a nowhere life.
Of course all of this is "IN MY OPINION"..
Old 05-08-2009, 07:32 AM

This is bad neews.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by days2go View Post
I guess the anti-bully legislation would cross the line into "over protectionism" by big brother. However the group on this site that is more dangerous are the back stabbers. They say or write one thing to your face but then twist your words to their advntage when with their cliques distorting the real issue. I would rather deal with a bully because at least you know where they're coming from whether they're right or wrong. The others are just lonely, hurtful people who need such conflict to give meaning to a nowhere life.
Of course all of this is "IN MY OPINION"..
Are you speaking about a situation that occured in the past or at the present time?
Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Sage
Default Be careful of asking honest questions; it may result in bullying

Last edited by senior citizen; 05-28-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle View Post
Rejoice! Help is on the way. For those who feel threatened by the bullies in the Politics thread or elsewhere, fear no more. If you feel there are nasty people out there making critical comments about you or possibly even ganging up on you, there's someone looking out for you.

HR 1966 has been introduced by Rep Linda Sanchez (D, CA.) to provide the oversight and protection we all want and need so much. She has proposed that the following be added to Chapter 41 of Title 18 of the US Code:

"Whoever transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication, with the intent to coerce, intimidate, harass, or cause substantial emotional distress to a person, using electronic means to support severe, repeated, and hostile behavior, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

For details, see http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1966

`
A classic example as to why we have the political forum in the first place.

Yoda
Member of the Loyal opposition.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Veteran member
Cool senior citizen......

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Very interesting. I've stopped posting because of this. Just asking simple questions and trying to relay our past experience in Florida to see if perhaps central Florida was a tad different, trying to decide whether to buy a home in the Villages for winter use, and receiving many helpful replies but then I must have hit the wrong nerve as far as being "politically correct" and this was not about politics at all.....and viewed posts of "I've written this one off", blah blah blah.

Not to mention the vulgar comments of the "host" or administrator or whatever he was /is.

Common Christian decency would be better than a law. I do believe there is a clique involved here. You are either accepted or "written off".......simply by asking intelligent questions which will decide how you spend you retirement funds. We were pretty gung ho on the Villages and had considered purchasing. I do realize the few who were mean do not represent the whole, but they are out there.

In normal communities all over the country people accept the different personalities of all...........here it seems you must fit a certain "mold" to fit in.

Again, it is a small minority and I think they might have been misogynists.
I regret I used the Stepford comparison but you never know.......
Senior citizen..... I agree with you that it is a small minority but your contributions have merit and I hope you don't judge TV by an outspoken few individualsl with bad manners

Last edited by ConeyIsBabe; 05-08-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Senior citizen..... I agree with you that it is a small minority but your contributions have merit and I hope you don't judge TV by an outspoken few individualsl with bad manners
I agree - most of the people I've met do not even post on TOTV and they are the nicest people. From my experience, the people on this forum are not representative of the whole, politically and otherwise. Of course, we have to remember, that a lot of the posters here are not even Villagers. You have to take it all with a grain of salt. Many of the posters who act like they have all the answers, may actually have only lived here a few months. And I have reason to believe that The Villages is paying some people to post and cheerlead The Villages on this website, as a sales ploy. Nothing wrong with that, just good business practices, but just saying you have to keep your wits about you and consider the source.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 05-28-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.