Never fear the mean people again

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 05-28-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Veteran member
Cool How very interesting...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
And I have reason to believe that The Villages is paying some people to post and cheerlead The Villages on this website, as a sales ploy. Nothing wrong with that, just good business practices, but just saying you have to keep your wits about you and consider the source.
I have long suspected this to be true...... but dismissed it as my suspicious nature from growing up in NYC & da Bronx

Anyway, it would be a devious sales ploy and my respect for the participants would be greatly diminished
Old 05-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Sheesh. I know I shouldn't but I am taking this very seriously because I am a serious cheerleader for this wonderful place and I do believe that I, myself was the one who answered Senior Citizen and brought up the word Stepford, because that was my first impression. Everyone I met, no allow me to qualify that, most everyone I met and continue meeting are wonderfully positive and enjoy this place mightily.

I am, for the most part a positive person, but I never expected anything to be as wonderful as this place is and I am certainly not being paid by anyone to say that. I know many of you agree with me.

Yes there are bugs. We had a bunch of fruit flys before we left last week.
Yes, there are problems, there must be, my table was chosen last at the potluck and we didn't get the best vittles. Everyone I see here is old. They are a little on the plump side, including me. It takes some of them and me awhile to get out of a chair after sitting for awhile.

I have never met the Morses and they must be rich as Croesus, but it doesn't make me dislike them. They just keep improving if you ask me and learning as they go along.

I am raving. I am gonna stop without making a point. I don't get anything out of telling about how great this place is, but it seems a shame not to spread the truthful word, me being a Christian and all and since YOU mentioned it.(The Christian part)

oboy. I didn't mean to start something but I bet I have. I am going to walk my dog.

I don't have a dog.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-08-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 05-28-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Veteran member

This site is not supported by The Villages and I don't believe they or the owners of TOTV pay members to post positive statements about The Villages.

What I do get tired of is some members believing those of us who choose to buy in The Villages have on blinders and don't see any of TV faults. There are several things I disagree with but they are minor and really don't have a major effect on my lifestyle so they were not a factor in us buying a home in TV.

We are still in our early 50's and lead a very active lifestyle and plan to continue to do so once we retire and that is one of the main reasons we choose TV.

TV is not for everyone but I don't believe anyone likes being told they have been deceived or tricked into buying a home, it is insulting and rude.

Eyes Wide Open and loving The Villages warts and all.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I have long suspected this to be true...... but dismissed it as my suspicious nature from growing up in NYC & da Bronx

Anyway, it would be a devious sales ploy and my respect for the participants would be greatly diminished

I am a part time Villager, the other part we llive in NY. We have been to most of the Crisper meet and greets and I must say that I do not believe that there are people on this list planted here. We visited the Villages for 12 years before buying. I agree with Halle, there are some things I disagree with here, but only heaven could be more of a paradise. My motto is, "life here is what YOU make it"!

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Halle is right.
She said, "This site is not supported by The Villages and I don't believe they or the owners of TOTV pay members to post positive statements about The Villages."

Talk of The Villages does not pay posters. Period.

Having no connection to The Villages developers, I cannot say what they do or don't do.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 05-28-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Gold member

That is a very dangerous piece of legislation...I see my right to free speech seriously in danger according to the wording in that proposed bill......who is going to be the enforcement agency?
There have been some very contentious posts on this forum and some very hurtful things said...and even if I do not agree with the criticism or think the words unkind I will defend the rights of those individual to express their opinion. I might suggest they were hurtful and unnecessary but I would never presume to censor there opinions.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post

Not to mention the vulgar comments of the "host" or administrator or whatever he was /is.
In view of the fact that I use the screen name "Talk Host" and I am an administrator, I assume you are talking about me. I invite you to print right here, right now, an example of those "vulgar comments" that you refer to. If you can't think of a specific example, then a vague recollection will do.

If you are unable to provide us with either I am going to assume you made it up to discredit us. I then invite you to apologize to me and the other administrators.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleevee View Post

Shirleevee,

I just want you to know that I hear you. While there are some adults who think this thing is about them, I hear you loud and clear. There have been kids driven to suicide because of cyberbullying. They cannot process like adults should be able to process. And tragically, for teenagers, cyberbullying can result in that permanent solution to a temporary problem.

I will say that I did not watch the Oprah show that you referenced. And I try not to read much about such things. But I am well aware of what is out there.

I will also say that I did not delve into Munc's link for the specifics.

I do know that technology is well ahead of the law.

And I also know that for so many kids, their daddy is cable television and their mama is the internet. That's where so many kids spend so much of their time. Parked in front of a screen. It becomes their world. And too many parents choose to abdicate to the machine. These are such difficult times for our kids. And the faceless bully can destroy a kid's life. Both figuratively and literally.

As far as adults go, that's a whole different game. I am not here for some kind of "free speech" debate.

But children should not die by the typing hands of a cyberbully. And then that cyberbully goes unpunished.

Teenagers. I know about teenagers. I have known thousands of teenagers. So many are fragile. Whether they show you that or not. And so many lack loving guidance. But they have lots of screens in their lives.

Shirleevee, I hear you.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-08-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
In view of the fact that I use the screen name "Talk Host" and I am an administrator, I assume you are talking about me. I invite you to print right here, right now, an example of those "vulgar comments" that you refer to. If you can't think of a specific example, then a vague recollection will do.

If you are unable to provide us with either I am going to assume you made it up to discredit us. I then invite you to apologize to me and the other administrators.
Look at what Tony posted on 4-17 to Senior Citizen telling them 'waving your arse in their faces"!!
Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Alex,

You left out the context. By doing that, you just revealed a volume about yourself.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Look at what Tony posted on 4-17 to Senior Citizen telling them 'waving your arse in their faces"!!

I went back and looked at Tony's post and many of those which preceded it. Not only did I not find 'waving your arse in their faces' to be vulgar but to be rather quite restrained considering the provocation. I didn't follow the thread at the time -- lucky me, I guess -- but the disdainful attitude of the lady's posts set my teeth on edge (whatever the heck that means). I think if I'd read one more snide comment about our subtropical climate, I might have made a more vulgar arse reference.

`
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Do you think they are just stirring the pot?

I do.

BTK
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.