Never, Never, Never say YES

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2023, 07:30 AM

If I happen to answer a call from an unknown I use my batman voice.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexes@aol.com View Post
Had a brand-new one today...... speaking of phishing/scams.......
Phone rang and I answered it, (which I usually do not do if I don't recognize caller), but was expecting a call from someone whose number I did not have in contacts...
I answered "hello"
Caller asked if I could hear her...... I replied, I can hear you
she repeated , can you hear me....... I can hear you
she asked if I had speaker on....... i replied, speaker on
she asked if I was on cell phone..... I replied, this is a cell phone...
You get the picture here.....this person asked over 15 questions, fishing for a "yes or no" answer..... I played along, out of boredom, I guess.....
I had heard about this, but never experienced anyone attempting to get the "yes" out of me this persistently......
PLEASE, pay attention folk........NEVER SAY YES.......
It’s just a scam. Nothing about that was phishing.

More importantly, when you don’t recognize the number calling you, just don’t answer.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,493 Times in 2,564 Posts

I know I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but if scammers are trying to open a new account using the word 'yes' why do they need my voice?
Surely any old 'yes' will do.
To my knowledge there is no recording of my 'yes' on any data base, anywhere.
I sure as heck can't get any money from my accounts by saying 'yes', and I know the passwords, and all security answers, plus the two factor authentication involving my finger print, and all my fingers at the moment are intact!
What am I missing?
Old 03-26-2023, 08:07 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I know I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but if scammers are trying to open a new account using the word 'yes' why do they need my voice?
I sure as heck can't get any money from my accounts by saying 'yes', and I know the passwords, and all security answers, plus the two factor authentication involving my finger print, and all my fingers at the moment are intact!
What am I missing?
Scam artists may be able to use a recorded “yes” to claim that the person authorized charges to his or her credit card or account.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:47 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
What am I missing?
"Can You Hear Me?" Scam Calls | The Office of Attorney General Keith Ellison
Old 03-26-2023, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,481 Times in 2,100 Posts

Quote:
What am I missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
Scam artists may be able to use a recorded “yes” to claim that the person authorized charges to his or her credit card or account.
We all know how the "Yes" scams are *supposed* to work but is there any evidence that someone has ever used such a recording to obtain credit or steal funds?

As the poster points out, it will take more than me saying "yes" on the phone to withdraw money or open new accounts. Plus, I doubt any service uses voice recognition software to ensure that any "yes" they received came from the customer and not someone else. If all it took was a "yes" than anyone could claim they were me and say the word without going through the trouble of trying to record my voice.

It is good practice not to give the scammers what they are looking for and it is always better to just hang up on them. But, is there really a valid concern if you say the word "yes?"

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-26-2023, 09:40 AM

The Minnesota official website that explains the different scams is very informative. Everyone should read it instead of just guessing why scammers do what they do during calls.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
just freeze your credit - these responses sound unlikely

How to Freeze Your Credit - NerdWallet
Easy to do, and just need to verify if you apply for credit. Something a scammer will not be able to do.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,936 Times in 927 Posts

Quote:
What am I missing?
voice validation screening, fidelity uses this technology when dialing in for human help. Once validated, the person can use his own voice to do whatever he/she wants with your account.

So if the person has bought all your personal information on line, they can be you to the financial services firm.

the crooks have more imagination than you have security measures. . .
Old 03-26-2023, 12:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,217 Times in 768 Posts

Screen every call, if it's important they will leave a voice mail.
Old 03-26-2023, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,903 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
voice validation screening, fidelity uses this technology when dialing in for human help. Once validated, the person can use his own voice to do whatever he/she wants with your account.

So if the person has bought all your personal information on line, they can be you to the financial services firm.

Vanguard also uses voice validation, but you need to repeat a specific phrase. Just saying "yes" will not do it.

I agree with those who said that a recording of you saying "yes" will not be of much value to a scammer. It sounds far fetched to me.
Old 03-26-2023, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,936 Times in 927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Vanguard also uses voice validation, but you need to repeat a specific phrase. Just saying "yes" will not do it.

I agree with those who said that a recording of you saying "yes" will not be of much value to a scammer. It sounds far fetched to me.
Maybe, but there is a lot more that people can do with voice recordings that we can't quite imagine, as that's their goal to break through, and your goal is to trust that the protections in place now are adequate.

Time is on their side, not yours.
Old 03-26-2023, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,493 Times in 2,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredTheHead View Post
The Minnesota official website that explains the different scams is very informative. Everyone should read it instead of just guessing why scammers do what they do during calls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post

I have read the scam report, but it does not say why it needs my 'yes.'
I use no financial institution, that uses a simple 'yes' as authority for any form of transaction, and unless it was done surreptitiously, no one has voice recognition of me saying anything.
Plus they will need a darn sight more info than that as well.
Am I just old, thick, and missing the point?
Old 03-26-2023, 05:17 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
I have read the scam report, but it does not say why it needs my 'yes.'
I use no financial institution, that uses a simple 'yes' as authority for any form of transaction, and unless it was done surreptitiously, no one has voice recognition of me saying anything.
Plus they will need a darn sight more info than that as well.
Am I just old, thick, and missing the point?
Regardless, the point here is to never respond to scammers. At the very least you are validating that it is a valid phone number which makes it more valuable on the dark web. We never answer the phone if we to not recognize the number and we rarely receive these types of calls.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:27 AM
Veteran member

We had a Sumter County sheriff's deputy come to talk to our ladies group about scams and other protection for your house. We mentioned to him about they phone calls and saying "yes" and he said he never heard of any scam like that and didn't think that it really could do any harm to anyone.
Closed Thread

Tags
asked, hear, replied, phone, speaker

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.