A new approach for discussion topics---Do you want to try?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-16-2015, 07:16 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,980
Thanks: 0
Thanked 158 Times in 153 Posts
Default A new approach for discussion topics---Do you want to try?

Today on the Diane Rehms show she had a discussion with Susan Greenfield who is the author of: "Mind Change: How Digital Technologies Are Leaving Their Mark On Our Brains." Susan is a neuroscientist who studied how frequent exposure to social media sites, search engines, video games and other digital technology affects our brains.The discussion touched upon some of the topics in an active thread and some that were discussed in other threads.

This gave me an idea.

Anyone can listen to her show[s]. Here is the link The Diane Rehm Show - One of her guests is always you.

Anyone can pick a show to be discussed on TOTV. If there is a rule about who can participate it would be anyone who listened to the show could participate.

Diane from time to time gives an opinion but the show is not about her. She asks good questions. I will warn you that her speech pattern seems a little off, too slow. This is a condition she has. Quite frankly I like the fact that she speaks slowly and clearly. And she's our age.

What do you think? Could a topical discussion where we all listened to the same show before commenting be interesting?
  #2  
Old 02-16-2015, 07:47 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 15,401
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2,098 Times in 957 Posts
Default

Would dog poop, roundabouts, irs, house prices, etc. be excluded?
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #3  
Old 02-16-2015, 07:55 PM
Wandatime's Avatar
Wandatime Wandatime is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Village of Collier
Posts: 510
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I love the Diane Rehm show and listened to the one you mentioned. I also liked the way she handled a caller who wanted to digress from the topic. She was professional but firm. I like listening to shows like this on NPR because they are in depth, the guests are always polite to each other even when in disagreement, and a wide breadth of topics are discussed. To do something like that on this forum would be . . . epic.
__________________

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West


  #4  
Old 02-16-2015, 07:56 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,980
Thanks: 0
Thanked 158 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Would dog poop, roundabouts, irs, house prices, etc. be excluded?
give this show a listen. I think you will enjoy it. click here

Give it 5 minutes.
  #5  
Old 02-16-2015, 08:06 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,980
Thanks: 0
Thanked 158 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
I love the Diane Rehm show and listened to the one you mentioned. I also liked the way she handled a caller who wanted to digress from the topic. She was professional but firm. I like listening to shows like this on NPR because they are in depth, the guests are always polite to each other even when in disagreement, and a wide breadth of topics are discussed. To do something like that on this forum would be . . . epic.
thank-you
That's the idea.
Today was a great show. I learned quite a bit a bit about how the mind works and is affected by technology.
I had no idea that reading a book is not the same as reading the same information on a screen.
  #6  
Old 02-16-2015, 08:36 PM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,685
Thanks: 223
Thanked 944 Times in 377 Posts
Default

I haven't watched the show...yet. But the idea sounds interesting anyway.
  #7  
Old 02-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,610
Thanks: 200
Thanked 2,018 Times in 646 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
thank-you
That's the idea.
Today was a great show. I learned quite a bit a bit about how the mind works and is affected by technology.
I had no idea that reading a book is not the same as reading the same information on a screen.
You may like this.....

Mind Change: How Digital Technologies Are Leaving Their Mark On Our Brains by Susan Greenfield, book review - Reviews - Books - The Independent

Perhaps this was a guest ??/
  #8  
Old 02-16-2015, 09:01 PM
DougB's Avatar
DougB DougB is offline
Sage
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hacienda South
Posts: 2,952
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Today on the Diane Rehms show she had a discussion with Susan Greenfield who is the author of: "Mind Change: How Digital Technologies Are Leaving Their Mark On Our Brains." Susan is a neuroscientist who studied how frequent exposure to social media sites, search engines, video games and other digital technology affects our brains.The discussion touched upon some of the topics in an active thread and some that were discussed in other threads.

This gave me an idea.

Anyone can listen to her show[s]. Here is the link The Diane Rehm Show - One of her guests is always you.

Anyone can pick a show to be discussed on TOTV. If there is a rule about who
can participate it would be anyone who listened to the show could participate.

Diane from time to time gives an opinion but the show is not about her. She asks good questions. I will warn you that her speech pattern seems a little off, too slow. This is a condition she has. Quite frankly I like the fact that she speaks slowly and clearly. And she's our age.

What do you think? Could a topical discussion where we all listened to the same show before commenting be interesting?
I find it more fun to post and give unsolicited advise on things I really know nothing about.
__________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
  #9  
Old 02-16-2015, 09:13 PM
NYGUY NYGUY is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Village of Charlotte
Posts: 1,643
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
I find it more fun to post and give unsolicited advise on things I really know nothing about.
LOL....we already knew that....
__________________
Don't take life too seriously, it's not like you're going to get out alive!!!
  #10  
Old 02-16-2015, 09:19 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,980
Thanks: 0
Thanked 158 Times in 153 Posts
Default

That's who was on the show.
  #11  
Old 02-16-2015, 09:28 PM
Average Guy Average Guy is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 350
Thanks: 10
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post

Diane from time to time gives an opinion but the show is not about her. She asks good questions. I will warn you that her speech pattern seems a little off, too slow. This is a condition she has. Quite frankly I like the fact that she speaks slowly and clearly. And she's our age.
Not everyone who reads TOTV is her age - she is 78.
  #12  
Old 02-16-2015, 09:35 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,980
Thanks: 0
Thanked 158 Times in 153 Posts
Default

good review
Did you catch this stat?
"According to the UK law firm Divorce Online, Facebook was implicated in 33 per cent of marriage breakups in 2011, which makes it the greatest serial co-respondent of all time."

I spend a lot of time online, probably too much. A movie is usually on in the background that takes mos to my attention.

The book and the show is about how much the world has changed from when we were young and how kids that are born into the digital age are affected by technology.
  #13  
Old 02-16-2015, 09:38 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,980
Thanks: 0
Thanked 158 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
Not everyone who reads TOTV is her age - she is 78.
I'm 62. She asks questions that someone who has been around would ask. She has a quick mind.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.