New build on prairie

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We are building on a lot that has a retaining wall topped with iron fence. Drop is about 8 feet, with easement of 7.5 feet from the lot line.

We will be adding a pool after market, wondering what you did with landscape in the easement. We have trees, and green space view. Can’t plant in the easement, so did you, Leave grass to mow, or mulch area?

Thanks in advance
I would "step" plant from the screen enclosure back, leaving the last 6-7 feet mulched. Colorful and low first layer (drift roses?) followed by a grass layer, then using the preserve trees as your backdrop. I think you still need to be 10' off the rear property line (in addition to the easement) so you have almost 18' from the screen to the fence. I wouldn't try to mow between the screen and fence, and I would want more color/structure then the scrubby preserve plants. Just an opinion
Old 08-19-2022, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,608 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanp@aol.com View Post
I would "step" plant from the screen enclosure back, leaving the last 6-7 feet mulched. Colorful and low first layer (drift roses?) followed by a grass layer, then using the preserve trees as your backdrop. I think you still need to be 10' off the rear property line (in addition to the easement) so you have almost 18' from the screen to the fence. I wouldn't try to mow between the screen and fence, and I would want more color/structure then the scrubby preserve plants. Just an opinion
Nothing permanent in easement area, so bushes are out. That’s why they suggested mulch, or grass. We can build right up to the 7.5’ easement, they sent us couple of rough sketches, with birdcage within 6 inches of easement. Anything we plant could be dug up and destroyed if needed, so rock may not be the best option. Bushes are considered permanent and not allowed. Plus we would not want to block the view, trimming would be worse than mowing grass.

Couple of posters have PM pics of their easement, with their design so Big thanks to all who sent them

Last edited by asianthree; 08-20-2022 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:36 PM
Sage

There's been shrubbery in our easement area for 11 years; nobody has seen a need to dig in the easement so far...
Old 08-20-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We are building on a lot that has a retaining wall topped with iron fence. Drop is about 8 feet, with easement of 7.5 feet from the lot line.

We will be adding a pool after market, wondering what you did with landscape in the easement. We have trees, and green space view. Can’t plant in the easement, so did you, Leave grass to mow, or mulch area?

Thanks in advance
You should really have pool built with the house. No tear out of irrigation. Landscaping. Screens. No mess either.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:59 AM

Retaining walls should have anchors into the material they are retaining so the wall doesn't topple over. Some can be quite long depending upon soil types and weight loads. Be sure a pool wall will hit one.
Closed Thread

Tags
easement, lot, feet, landscape, space

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.