New buyer with question

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts
Question New buyer with question

We go to settlement next month on our place in TV. We are looking forward to it. We put a contract on a Courtyard Villa.

Question: I realize that there is a lot of information on here and that I am probably duplicating a question already asked, but I have spent a lot of time on the search page, trying to find an answer.

What can be done to the back walls of property, if anything? We were wondering if a trellis can be attached, and/or can the wall be painted? I noticed that there were some small holes in the wall where someone must have had something attached to the wall, perhaps a hanging pot, at one time. If this is in the wrong section, please use my being a newbie as sufficient excuse.

This really is a great source of information and insight to your great community.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

I almost bought a designer that necked up partially to a courtyard wall. I was told that it was possible to landscape in front of the wall, but am not certain about attaching something to it in the case of maintenance by TV. Perhaps they need access? I think your agent should be able to provide you with a correct answer!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

With a CYV it's a little different situation because the inside of the wall is out of sight of the public and is only accessible from your property. I've seen CYV's featured in TV's Sun newspaper with photos of painted murals on the inside of their walls. However if you have a newer villa like ours, the back walls are made of stone blocks, not good for painting. I would think that whatever you do if it's not visible from the street it should be OK.

We've got a couple of neighbor's homes that have a trellis attached to the back of the villa over the patio, they can only be seen when I'm in my backyard looking at my side fence. The side fences only go about 6-1/2' high since they are vinyl.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Sage

Thank you. I have a family member that owns a CYV also and he is thinking of having his wife paint a mural on his wall. Since he enjoys golf so much, I suggested that he have her paint a golf course setting so that he can feel that he has a home on the golf course.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:13 PM

Soooo, a golf course view without the extra lot cost. And no errant golf balls to worry about. Cool.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post

What can be done to the back walls of property, if anything? We were wondering if a trellis can be attached, and/or can the wall be painted?
I'm not sure if it "officially sanctioned", but it's quite common to see murals painted on the inside walls of courtyard villas.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Soooo, a golf course view without the extra lot cost. And no errant golf balls to worry about. Cool.
Hopefully, there are some very nice "quite" folks on the other side of the wall then it is definitely cool.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Sage

Thanks folks. By the way, this is my first day actually commenting on here. I have been curious about TV for a while. I have been reading comments on here for a few weeks now. We're going to be moving down to TV the beginning of Nov. I believe that my spouse is more excited than I am, and she hasn't even been there yet. She just trusted me to come down and check out the homes. She doesn't even care that much about the home. She is more interested in the social aspects and activities.

This is a great blog and very informative. What a great find!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Sage

Quote:

She just trusted me to come down and check out the homes. She doesn't even care that much about the home. She is more interested in the social aspects and activities.
I'm impressed. You are indeed fortunate ... your spouse has a great attitude.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks folks. By the way, this is my first day actually commenting on here. I have been curious about TV for a while. I have been reading comments on here for a few weeks now. We're going to be moving down to TV the beginning of Nov. I believe that my spouse is more excited than I am, and she hasn't even been there yet. She just trusted me to come down and check out the homes. She doesn't even care that much about the home. She is more interested in the social aspects and activities.

This is a great blog and very informative. What a great find!
MDLHB, Welcome to TOTV. What village are you moving to.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Sage

I believe it is called St. Simons?

Added: I believe it is within the Village of Belle Aire?

Last edited by MDLNB; 09-12-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
no one coming up to your lanai to get look for their ball and that my kind of view
Old 09-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Gold member

Is it just me or does pictures painted on walls scream Ghetto? Best to keep your art in your living room for your enjoyment.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Sage

Actually, I was thinking more along the line of painting the wall a color that will blend with the landscaping I plan to install, so as not to contrast with it. Although, I may install some trellis along the wall. I do not like a stark white wall, and plan to dress it up a bit with some vegetation. I won't have any grass to mow, thank goodness. This house keeps me mowing and weeding constantly, and with all the rain we have had this year, I am also pruning almost weekly. I would not be inclined to paint graffiti on the wall. That WOULD appear ghetto. Although, everyone to their own preferences, right? And since it would not be visible to the public, who would be offended? I see your point though.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.