New Car Dealership - Ripoff

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2021, 05:16 AM

I don't think anyone is doubting that "supply and demand" are at work here. Or that "nobody is holding a gun to your head" to make you buy a car , isn't a truism. It is. I think what the thread about is that one auto group in particular in this area is really running some deceptive practices (eg, won't post the price of most of the new cars on its website on purpose, but then smacking you with a $7,000-$20,000 add on after you get there to find out what the price is) and people should be aware. I do think it's related to this "TV is full of dumb old people with money" attitude, which is sad.

Unless you are desperate, I would wait it out. but at minimum, pick up the phone and shop around in the State. You can still find honest dealers and prices. but I would stay away from the local dealers yes.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:45 AM
Veteran member

There are two gas stations coming out of the Orlando airport that charged at least a dollar a gallon more!
Old 10-23-2021, 05:49 AM
Veteran member
Default Prices

Most people don't realize by companies are here to make a profit. For at least 25 or 30 years auto dealers have been struggling and I know that's been hard to understand with regulations, semi-fixed prices and high monthy fixed costs put on by manufacturer's demands to have nice showrooms. This includes having coffee bars computers for us to use and internet Wi-Fi. No I am not in the business but I am in marketing and look at these things seriously. The average profit for a new car at least price is eight to 14%. That's about 2 to $3,000 and remember all of the costs including salesman's commission and electricity and rent an office workers come out of that profit. The new car dealers actually sell cars at a discount in the past so they can get your trade in where they can make four to $5,000 much more easily. And they also think about 70% markup on their service if you look at the daily rates for the hourly labor you'll see it's now over $100 at most dealerships, now you know the guy changing the tires is not getting that per hour but probably about 20 or 25 bucks. The simple solution is to buy a used car that's two or three years old because there's about 10 million of them available on the internet. If you going to buy a car with a $10,000 dealer added markup as they say a fool is soon parted with their money. How much there are very rich villager who doesn't care anymore and I'm sure they're quite a few of them around here that would probably brag that they spend $10,000 over markup price
Old 10-23-2021, 06:01 AM

I bought my Hyundai in Clermont for that reason. $17k less for the same thing.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:16 AM

I shopped Jenkins a couple years ago. They wanted some crazy $2000.00 package charge on top of the MSRP. They would not budge.
I went down the street to Phillips and what a breath of fresh air compared to Jenkins.
Jenkins lost, Phillips won.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:02 AM

Only the rich are buying now. So much for the middle class. All this could have been avoided.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:07 AM
Default MR

Business is business, no what you want to pay, do your homework and wait to someone takes your offer. Myself, I love the art of the deal.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penglobal View Post
While servicing my new Honda this past weekend (free warranty work) at the Honda dealership in Leesburg off US441, I looked around the dealership at the new Hondas. All the new cars on sale had an amended priced list which covered the usually high profit mark-up items such as wheel locks for $250 and floor mats for $400. I was amazed that every new car at this dealership also had a mark-up of $10,000 which was listed as a market adjustment charge and a new car salesman also informed me that their new vehicles were being sold at straight MSRP PLUS $10,000. Yes, they where charging an extra $10,000 more for the same vehicle that last year was sold for about 5% under MSRP. So a basic new Honda with a MSRP of about $26,000 was being sold for over $40,000, including all mark-ups, taxes and fees. My new Honda was purchased at another dealership in Orlando just seven months ago and it was purchased for under MSRP and without this $10,000 ripoff charge.

Why would anyone pay these exorbitant new car prices ???
Is this not price gauging???
Understanding that there is a new car shortage, but this dealership takes the cake for the biggest new car ripoff dealership anywhere in the area. I hope when things get back to normal, all us Villagers remember these companies that ripped us all off during this pandemic and not solicit their business in the future. Yes, the dealership starts with "J"!
They’re just greedy and evil. I know from personal experience.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:24 PM

I recently (last 2 months) purchased a new Subaru Outback for my wife and a new Honda Ridgeline for me. In both cases I paid MSRP (sticker) + $300 for dealer. I shopped around including 3 different states. I have purchased dozens of new cars over the past 30+ years. This is the 1st time I paid sticker but I got very good price for my trade-in. I have no remorse.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:11 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penglobal View Post
While servicing my new Honda this past weekend (free warranty work) at the Honda dealership in Leesburg off US441, I looked around the dealership at the new Hondas. All the new cars on sale had an amended priced list which covered the usually high profit mark-up items such as wheel locks for $250 and floor mats for $400. I was amazed that every new car at this dealership also had a mark-up of $10,000 which was listed as a market adjustment charge and a new car salesman also informed me that their new vehicles were being sold at straight MSRP PLUS $10,000. Yes, they where charging an extra $10,000 more for the same vehicle that last year was sold for about 5% under MSRP. So a basic new Honda with a MSRP of about $26,000 was being sold for over $40,000, including all mark-ups, taxes and fees. My new Honda was purchased at another dealership in Orlando just seven months ago and it was purchased for under MSRP and without this $10,000 ripoff charge.

Why would anyone pay these exorbitant new car prices ???
Is this not price gauging???
Understanding that there is a new car shortage, but this dealership takes the cake for the biggest new car ripoff dealership anywhere in the area. I hope when things get back to normal, all us Villagers remember these companies that ripped us all off during this pandemic and not solicit their business in the future. Yes, the dealership starts with "J"!
Just my opinion/understanding of the words "price gouging". I could be mistaken but, as I understand it, to be labeled "gouging", there would have to be no alternatives; it would be an item you must have to sustain life, and, that no alternatives exist. In this case the person can just "vote" with their feet, walk to the next dealer or, walk away completely, or, begin getting bids on having the existing vehicle repaired are a few alternatives I do believe some may be accepting this due to the shortage of USED cars to choose from also. Not long ago our grown children were finally successful in purchasing a home buy adding more and more $$$$ ABOVE the valuation... the demand greatly out-stripped the supply !
Old 10-24-2021, 06:17 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
There are two gas stations coming out of the Orlando airport that charged at least a dollar a gallon more!
Yes, they are quite "famous" for that.... LOL ! Most know by now, but, it must "catch" them a few "suckers".... must return rental full and very little time before a flight for instance ? It must pay, or, they would switch to a different business format ! Hard to dodge and weave the bad practices these days... virus made it even worse if that is possible !
Closed Thread

Tags
dealership, car, $10, 000, msrp, honda

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.