New Fire Truck

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2021, 08:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecenturian View Post
I really wish people would get informed and have some facts before they run off at the mouth with negativity.

The ladder doesn’t reach 10 stories. That was bluster. It realistically is 7 stories.

100 feet is standard in ladder trucks. They are not made custom. You can not get a 50 foot ladder.

It’s also not about the height. If the truck can not be put directly next to the building then the length is increased due to the reach from being farther out.

I don’t know with certainty about the state of Florida however, other states won’t allow a building to be built over 3 stories if the fire department does not have the ability to reach above that. Although the department already has 2 ladder trucks, they must be replaced at regular intervals. You can not buy a fire truck and think it will last 30 years, at least not in a respectable agency. I do not know the age of the other trucks but considering the time the department has been operating and the ever great expansion it is a very realistic possibility it was time to upgrade c

$1 million is on the cheaper side for a fire truck, especially a ladder. They could have and should have purchased a Tower Ladder which has a bucket because you are not getting most people especially elderly to climb down that ladder however, Tower Ladders will cost $1.5 million on the cheap end. We know how much crying and complaining that would cause.

The departments ISO rating will apparently increase. This is what insurance companies base their rates off of. So if the ISO rating increases your home owners insurance should decrease for at least not increase.

Unless you have been in the fire service or have a background in Risk Assessment you should ask people with better information then just starting off complaining about it with your armchair quarterback knowledge.
I agree a "Platform" ladder would incur a better cost/benefit. I operated one in Miami Beach. We had a priority dispatch system where all fire units ran EMS calls, as well as fires, based on availability. Ladder trucks are also used in all types of special operations and technical rescue situations.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:50 AM

Yes, we all hope that it is never needed.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
In the 3/24 paper, page C3, is an article about the new fire truck that Villages Public Safety has purchased. Its key feature is a ladder that will reach a 10 story building, like the Brownwood Hotel. Its cost, about $1 million.

No wonder our annual fire assessment has to increase. I do not begrudge the firefighters a fair wage, but no houses are 10 stories tall, only businesses.

That's a good reason for a public safety impact fee on commercial property.
All citizens should be able to be served by this equipment. If I'm high up in a hotel, I'd like to know I can be saved by this equipment. Fire and safety equipment should be able to handle any building or situation that would be possible in the area.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
In the 3/24 paper, page C3, is an article about the new fire truck that Villages Public Safety has purchased. Its key feature is a ladder that will reach a 10 story building, like the Brownwood Hotel. Its cost, about $1 million.

No wonder our annual fire assessment has to increase. I do not begrudge the firefighters a fair wage, but no houses are 10 stories tall, only businesses.

That's a good reason for a public safety impact fee on commercial property.
Don't look at it as costing $1 M and don't just think of a ladder truck is just for for "tall buildings", that's also a lot of reach for places that are set back off of the street. You can't just plop a 100' aerial on the front lawn somewhere, even though at times you have no choice, it should be on pavement so it doesn't sink.

So if you have a two story building with 30' of frontage you'll need that aerial's reach to get to the roof in order to vent or to reach a top floor window.

Ladder companies perform many functions on the fire ground. Life safety is a top priority, ladder companies are generally assigned search and rescue as well as ventilation at a fire. Sometimes egress through the interior is compromised due to fire conditions. Having a 100' ladder gives the command officer more tools in his tool box to effect rescues of civilians and in some cases other firefighters.

That ladder will also allow firefighters to ventilate from a safer position than from a ground ladder or a roof ladder. It expidites the process when seconds count, it also is a help in a limited manpower situation because let's face it, The Villages Fire Department is far from "riding heavy" when it comes to manpower.

I'm all for paying the guys to the job, it's dangerous, I did it for 25 years but if you can also give them the ability to do the job safer you do so.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanoa1kale2 View Post
All citizens should be able to be served by this equipment. If I'm high up in a hotel, I'd like to know I can be saved by this equipment. Fire and safety equipment should be able to handle any building or situation that would be possible in the area.
I agree. Safety is number one, and the right equipment should be available. I admire the good work of our firefighters and do not question the need for this truck.

I am just trying to make the case that, in addition to the road impact fee, a public safety impact fee should also be assessed.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:42 AM
SUENRAN

So sad to see so many "experts" weighing in on the need for this vehicle...with no knowledge of how it is used or what the purpose of the vehicle is. This is a necessary piece of equipment that will serve the community well for many years. I hope it will never be used...but if it is needed (high-angle rescue, below grade rescue, house fire, commercial fire or any other emergency) it will be a valuable asset. Please leave the decision on what is needed to the experts...
Old 03-26-2021, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Freedom Pointe is seven stories tall in places.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:49 AM
Gold member

I'm a little surprised we didn't have one already.
Glad it's in the FD arsenal now.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

They claim it will reduce homeowners insurance rates.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:44 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

[QUOTE=Stu from NYC;1920942]Our firefighters should have all the equipment they need but why in the world are we paying for something that can go 10 stories high?[/QUOTE

Maybe the old "rather be safe than sorry" ? Watching the devastation in Alabama this morning made me think of Charlie and some of the tornadoes that have ripped through our community. Can you imagine the human tragedy if one of our hospitals had hundreds of patients, already bedridden, hit like some in Alabama have been in the past ? Might never be used, may save many lives, but you have to HAVE it ready, can't do an "after the fact" ! ? Just a thought. Seems a lot of high rise building going on around here, and more planned (over where they tore down the country club/pool gossip says "could" be high rise apartments, if not, probably somewhere in the V's)
Old 03-26-2021, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

I asked the question why was it needed and got the answers I was hoping to get.

Thanks for enlightening me.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:14 AM

To all of the complainers about The Villages Fire Department buying a new Tower Ladder, feel free to private message me and ask why it’s needed. I’m sure all of you are Fire Department or Emergency Services and just forgot why they’re needed. I’ll be happy to explain why they’re needed.
Maybe even better, stop by you’re local fire station or Headquarters building and tell them that the new Tower Ladder is not needed, then report back on here the results.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:42 PM
Veteran member

Yada yada yada. More grumpy people looking for something to complain about.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi View Post
Yada yada yada. More grumpy people looking for something to complain about.
I asked a question and the people here who know more than me convinced me it is a good piece of equipment to have around here.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:49 PM

Amen. One of my pet pevs
Closed Thread

Tags
fire, safety, public, truck, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.