New First Responders Recreation Center

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2019, 10:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by windylou View Post
Naming it First Responders will certainly be confusing ... but it can still be something to honor them
by the things inside....Maybe Freedom Rec Center ??? Or other suggestions ???
And how do we get these thoughts to the people who determine every thing ??
What is confusing, trying to understand. Also I believe the name is already set and it is just the activities that are up for discussion.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAndre View Post
I think the plan is pretty good. I too do like the Putt & Play. My wife and I do not play golf but we will definitely play this. I like the walking trail although the exercise equipment is not mentioned. I think that would be good to add.

The one other addition I would like to see is a dog park. You know people will be bringing their dogs there and then there becomes the ad hoc unauthorized doggie area where the dogs will be pooping and peeing. Afterall people have been letting their dogs run free on the property for years. There certainly is room looking at the plan for a dog park and it would be appreciated by dog owners and non-owners alike.

There was a suggestion for a snack bar. If we don't get a food vendor of some kind in there at least a soft serve ice cream/beverage bar would be good.

And just an observation. The parking lot is way oversized and the expense to maintain it will be unnecessarily high. It seems like the platform tennis could be built on the southern end and that would allow more space for other sports activities, dog park or other.

And above all please put some shade trees all over the place to protect us from the sun. This is Florida ya know!
Not sure another dog park is needed. If people are going there to swim, play mini golf or tennis etc the dog should be left home in the AC.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:49 AM
Gold member

There are many pickleball courts in The Villages. The closest platform tennis is at Seabreeze and many of those people have been wanting more courts for them. I hope they get it. I would hate to be a house next to a pickleboard court. That sound all day would drive me nuts!
Old 07-30-2019, 02:45 PM

Great - another facility that caters to kids -- just what we don't need. We are so short of pool facilities in the North end of The Villages, and now this new center will have only a family pool. Really frustrated that kids are priority in a senior community.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by island05 View Post
Great - another facility that caters to kids -- just what we don't need. We are so short of pool facilities in the North end of The Villages, and now this new center will have only a family pool. Really frustrated that kids are priority in a senior community.
There are 2 adult pools 1/4 to 1/2 mile away in either direction so putting in a family pool, especially a zero entry one will be good. Not sure where you live but we have at least 2, maybe more adult pools closer than the current closest family pool.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
There are 2 adult pools 1/4 to 1/2 mile away in either direction so putting in a family pool, especially a zero entry one will be good. Not sure where you live but we have at least 2, maybe more adult pools closer than the current closest family pool.
If you look at the recreation map of the Villages you'll see that there are more pools "per square mile" south than there are north. There are more of all the three types: adult, fitness, and family. This isn't including the Country Club pools because those require separate membership to use.

In the entirety of Silver Lake and Orange Blossom Hills, there are just 3 pools total, one of which is a family pool. These are used primarily by 6 different "neighborhoods" within the OBH section of the community. In order to use the closest sports pool you'd have to go over the golf cart bridge (or drive a car) to get to it, it's in a whole other area of the Villages.

West of Buena Vista and north of 466, and including all of Belle Meade Circle, there are only 4 adult pools, 1 family pool, 1 sports pools. That is (theoretically) to serve the homes occupying around 5 times the space of Orange Blossom and Silver Lake combined.

East of Buena Vista and north of 466 is even more sparse than that, however a big portion of that real estate is occupied by commercial strips and Spanish Springs town square.

Now compare with that tiny little portion west of Palmer Legends Country Club, which is south of 466, north of Rainey Trail, and west of Buena Vista. Just that one section has 5 normal adult pools and 3 family pools. That real estate is smaller than the "historic" section, and there are more than twice as many pools. No sports pool there but there's one across the street from Buena Vista at Laurel Manor.

The St. Charles area, the Mallory Hill area, Havana area, Bonifay, each of these other sections have significantly more pools, most of which are adult pools.

So I would tend to agree that the north could use some more watery love, even if it's just one more on the west of Buena Vista, and one more between Buena Vista and Morse. I think the Historic section seems just about right for the total number of properties in it, though perhaps just one more pool, maybe a small adult pool in the same location as the existing family pool, behind the building and between the parking lot and the retention pond, might be nice.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:31 AM

I feel it should be an adult pool. Don't want to have to remember what day is what. As far as the waterfall, everyone enjoys the relaxing sound of a waterfall. You don't have to stand under it, but I am sure many adults will!
Old 08-01-2019, 09:06 AM
Gold member

For the record, I would never trust anything from Wikipedia. Probably that last source I would ever recommend.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:11 AM
Gold member

Hero's? Then people will say why are you honoring a sandwich? No matter what you name it there is always that 10% who have to complain about it.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:15 AM
Gold member

There are two sports pools north of 466. Savannah and Mulberry. Laurel Manor has a sports pool and that is right on 466.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:44 PM

I’m very happy to hear that they are dedicating a Recreation Center to first responders. It is refreshing to see that they read the surveys that the residents submit. I’m proud to say it was one of my suggestions. Thanks for the long overdue honor. I love Eisenhower Recreation Center!
Closed Thread

Tags
proposal, center, preliminary, fire, recreation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.