New Fridge slow to cool?

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2017, 03:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Purchased Samsung refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, microwave about 2 years ago. Everything going well except twice in he last six months it stopped making ice. If it does it again I'll call a repairman. We did buy LG for the washer and dryr

Mya I ask what problems you had with your Samsung?

We dropped the freeze temp from 0 to -2 because of the extreme heat, helped with the icemaker?
Our Samsung fridge lost it's compressor... ice maker.. after the 2nd compressor Home Depot gave us new fridge
we chose LG from the recommendation of the appliance guys that came to our house to fix the Samsung,, but most of them said all appliances are "junk" and you just have to gamble but they all agreed that LG was the least repaired. go figure.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:53 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Latest and last update on my sad saga:

Called Lowes around 10:30ish to report problem. Nice young woman, told me I would be getting a call back. About 11am the Service Department Manager called and said he was on his way to our house. He and someone else came, checked the fridge, told me they would get me a new fridge first thing tomorrow morning.

Great service. We have always purchased from Lowes and will continue to do so. It's a pain in the backside when these things happen, but so nice to know you have a good company to rely on.
What about calling Lowes customer service and explained what happened. You lost all your food. Maybe they could give you a gift card to help even it off. It's worth a try.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Thumbs down on LG here, repeatedly repaired, failure after 8 years. To top it off the energy consumption was understated, this generated a Federal Government forces settlement - a check to me for 28.38 a year for a few years.

I bought it in part for the low energy consumption.

Now the whirlpools from the Villages, also failed but at least that could be repaired. Thanks YouTube!
Old 06-02-2017, 05:17 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
Our Samsung fridge lost it's compressor... ice maker.. after the 2nd compressor Home Depot gave us new fridge
we chose LG from the recommendation of the appliance guys that came to our house to fix the Samsung,, but most of them said all appliances are "junk" and you just have to gamble but they all agreed that LG was the least repaired. go figure.
We did a lot of research and found that the top Samsung dishwasher had more complaints then their second rated best. so we went with the second best. We recently replaced washer and clothes dryer and our research carried us to LG.

I agree with your repair guy they all seem to be junk now...not like the Maytag or Electrolux of old.

The problem as I see it is most products cars, appliances gas grills claiming to be American made are not they us carry the product name.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
We did a lot of research and found that the top Samsung dishwasher had more complaints then their second rated best. so we went with the second best. We recently replaced washer and clothes dryer and our research carried us to LG.

I agree with your repair guy they all seem to be junk now...not like the Maytag or Electrolux of old.

The problem as I see it is most products cars, appliances gas grills claiming to be American made are not they us carry the product name.
The world is FLAT Rubicon and no matter what you hear or are told, products are going to be made where the company can make the most profit .... you are a retired businessman, you know this to be true.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-02-2017, 06:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
What about calling Lowes customer service and explained what happened. You lost all your food. Maybe they could give you a gift card to help even it off. It's worth a try.
I have spoken to both Lowes and my Insurance Agent, and the problem is all mine. I did not take the extended warranty, I never have before, but I will in future. If I had purchased the extended warranty it would have paid for EVERYTHING all the steak, shrimp, fish, crab cakes and all the other good and expensive food my freezer was filled with. Too late we learn.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-02-2017, 02:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default I'm confused

If this was a brand new purchase, what would an extended warranty have to do with it. It must have a 1 year factory warranty, at the very least.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
The world is FLAT Rubicon and no matter what you hear or are told, products are going to be made where the company can make the most profit .... you are a retired businessman, you know this to be true.
so true. I spent well for a Jenn Aire grill only to find that they didn't manufacture it but simply applied their name tag. The grill did not last long. I then purchased a Master forge and have had it about 7 years and it operates just like it did from day 1.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
If this was a brand new purchase, what would an extended warranty have to do with it. It must have a 1 year factory warranty, at the very least.
Appreciate your information. When I was talking to Lowe's Service Manager he suggested that, but he did not hold out too much hope of them doing anything. But, I will get all my information together and give them a call on Monday and see what happens.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Gold member
Default Sort of relates

Quote:
Rubicon, not sure if you are addressing me or JSaggy. I had a mid-range GE. I have always had GE and never had a problem until this one, the last one was 12 yrs old when it died. My son's business took him to China and he recommended LG to me for a washing machine.
My sister has a GE refrigerator that clearly is OLD. It has the motor on top. The date on the motor plate is 1938 and it still runs. ASIDE: I checked with a relative who services commercial air conditioning. Apparently in those days, they used ammonia rather than Freon and if it leaks it can kill you.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:14 PM
Gold member
Default We had a maytag washing machine

Quote:

It came with our previous house. When we got it it was already several years old. We were in that house for 40 years and we gave that machine, still working, to the new buyers of the house. They don't make them like they used to. But most people would want more features which means more repairs and they would refuse to pay the price for a long lasting product.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:01 PM

I have a Whirlpool that came with the house and I put that in the garage. Bought an LG and it is great. Did get a Samsung first and had to return it because no one could get it to stop rolling forward. I bought from Best Buy (they are hit and miss, usually a hit)
Old 06-03-2017, 04:33 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
I have spoken to both Lowes and my Insurance Agent, and the problem is all mine. I did not take the extended warranty, I never have before, but I will in future. If I had purchased the extended warranty it would have paid for EVERYTHING all the steak, shrimp, fish, crab cakes and all the other good and expensive food my freezer was filled with. Too late we learn.
It seems that with just about every product we buy these days a clerk would suggested purchasing an extended warranty.

Most economic experts warn against such purchases as being wasteful purchases.

And my reaction and response to the clerk's suggestion is " I am suppose to be purchasing a quality product and you are already advising and advertising that it is not as advertised"

I understand life happens but essentially they are saying that they are selling you junk. It use to be that manufacturers stood behind their products
Old 06-03-2017, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
It seems that with just about every product we buy these days a clerk would suggested purchasing an extended warranty.

Most economic experts warn against such purchases as being wasteful purchases.
That probably got kick-started by Circuit City in the 80's. Unlike Best Buy whose sales people get paid hourly, Circuit City sales people worked on commission. I worked for a short time at a CC in the 80's during grand opening. At CC the info/price card on the shelf edge of an item, had a code number. The last two numbers were the warranty commission amount reversed, so if you saw a 001272, the warranty commission was $27 on that one item. Most times the extended warranty paid more commission than selling the actual item.

I recently studied some items online and found that the LG high efficiency 'HE' top loading washers and dryers were the best, but the LG front loaders had problems as well as the popular Samsung front loaders. I did read that the Samsung TV's were some of the best, and everytime I read a TV review, I always look at the 1's, the least favorite reviews. They more times than not ended by saying I returned the 'so and so brand' TV and bought a Samsung TV and it is great. So I just bought an LG HE top loading washer & dryer with the glass doors at Best Buy and a Samsung 75" LED Smart 4K TV at Best Buy. BTW, LG is made in Korea and I had just owned a Hyundai made in Korea for 5 years and never had a problem, so that ended any thought that Korean made is not as good.

Best Buy is very much like a car dealer when it comes to price. I was able to get the W/D $180 less than Lowes plus get a free $100 gift card, which I used to purchase speakers for my car. They had Kicker brand speakers on sale half price, $100 for $50 a pair, so I was able to get 2 pair of speakers that came to $100 for free. I was also able to get $100 off the Samsung TV price, which was already reduced $700 because Samsung was replacing with a newer model.
Closed Thread

Tags
refrigerator, thought, factory, set, temps

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.