A new gate record

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2022, 12:02 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Default A new gate record

I would have to believe our gates at Buena Vista to Hillsborough Trail have set a new record in the past 30 day for the most broken gate arms. For several days, the gate would last only one day before needing to be fixed. If it isn’t the entrance it’s the exit gate that was hit. Maybe the sun is brighter this summer because of climate change to then blind drivers so they can’t see gates. One is down again today
Old 07-06-2022, 12:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

In 07 the sun was so bright on my way to Seabreeze I almost ran into the gate. Not sure how bad global warming was then, but it would have been my fault even if the sun was blinding at the time
Old 07-06-2022, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Would love to see a list of the excuses given for hitting a gate.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-06-2022, 12:42 PM
Veteran member

make them pay $1000 for repairs , then see how many get busted .
Old 07-06-2022, 12:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Damn snowbirds!!!
Old 07-06-2022, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I would have to believe our gates at Buena Vista to Hillsborough Trail have set a new record in the past 30 day for the most broken gate arms. For several days, the gate would last only one day before needing to be fixed. If it isn’t the entrance it’s the exit gate that was hit. Maybe the sun is brighter this summer because of climate change to then blind drivers so they can’t see gates. One is down again today
Piggyback runner’s IMO see it all time where I live and many close calls.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
make them pay $1000 for repairs , then see how many get busted .

Got to catch them first, then got make them pay, odds are not going to happen.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:07 PM

The one thing I think they need to do is put a sign up when they first put them in. I would bet many times people don't think about it if they've been driving through there without one, and then they finally put one in. Just something that says traffic change ahead, like they do when they put new lights or stop signs in...
Old 07-06-2022, 01:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation The Gates are Ridiculous!

The solution is to get rid of the gates. YES -- get rid of them! Many would like to believe that they control traffic. Nonsense! The developer put them there to make would-be buyers believe they are buying into a truly gated community. Between the maintenance of the gates, utilities, and salaries for those keystone cops who "man" the gates, it costs well over a million dollars a year. That money could surely be put to better use!
Old 07-06-2022, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
The solution is to get rid of the gates. YES -- get rid of them! Many would like to believe that they control traffic. Nonsense! The developer put them there to make would-be buyers believe they are buying into a truly gated community. Between the maintenance of the gates, utilities, and salaries for those keystone cops who "man" the gates, it costs well over a million dollars a year. That money could surely be put to better use!
The source for the "well over a million dollars" statement?

The gates definitely DO control traffic. Crossing those entrances on foot, on a bicycle, or on a golf cart would be very dangerous without the gates.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-06-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
It is really for the golf cart crossing at the road. Think of what would happen if no gates and cars coming through at 40 to 50 mph. Many places have very limited visibility for the golf carts, so seeing the gate being down does provide some level of assurance that you won’t be mowed down by a car. Of course if the car runs through the gate going fast not much you can do.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Cars Have the Right of Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dond1959 View Post
It is really for the golf cart crossing at the road. Think of what would happen if no gates and cars coming through at 40 to 50 mph. Many places have very limited visibility for the golf carts, so seeing the gate being down does provide some level of assurance that you won’t be mowed down by a car. Of course if the car runs through the gate going fast not much you can do.
Cars are NOT going at the rate of 40 or 50 mpg when entering or exiting the gates! You are NOT going at that rate of speed when you have to make a right-hand turn from the circle into the Village nor are you going at that rate of speed when exiting and coming upon the circle.

It is incumbent upon those in a golf cart to slow down and/or stop before crossing the entrance to a Village, just like you would do when on foot before crossing a street. The problem is they don't do that! Automobiles ALWAYS have the right of way in this case.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
The source for the "well over a million dollars" statement?

The gates definitely DO control traffic. Crossing those entrances on foot, on a bicycle, or on a golf cart would be very dangerous without the gates.
It would not be dangerous if people watched what they were doing instead of realizing they are the ones who need to stop first and then continue on when the coast is clear.

I've said it before; it is no different than crossing a street but somehow. many in a golf cart think they either are invincible or indestructible and plow on through without a care in the world. The onus is on them to watch out!
Old 07-06-2022, 02:00 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Would love to see a list of the excuses given for hitting a gate.
Me too. Like the old David Letterman's top ten list! LOL
I can only imagine some of them.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
The issue was with the motor at that gate.
Closed Thread

Tags
gate, day, gates, record, it’s

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.