A new gate record

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2022, 08:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Inept? Seriously??? Just because you don't agree with me doesn't make my sentence "Inept" and your use of the word, in this case, is a poor example of what you might be trying to say. You might try respecting what others say before you make inane comments.

I have driven golf carts many times and don't choose to own one. "Pucker" that! A very dear friend was in a horrible golf cart accident last year and almost died. He is still showing signs of that accident although he has recovered pretty well.
So you don't own a golf cart, but feel enlightened enough to tell us that the gates are not beneficial for those of us who do and need to cross busy streets.
Right.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:07 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Since it's "readily available", support your claim and provide us the link.
Thanks in advance.
IN looking at the budget figures on Village Community Development Districts, I would say the cost for gate maintenance would be at least $500,000 per year as calculated in my previous post plus 13 - 24 hour staffed gates at 13x24x $10 per hour x 365 days = $1,138,800 plus 10 gates staffed at say ~1/2 that at 569,400 for a total of at least $1,708,200. Other cost would be utilities and other services so I would say that cost to man and maintain gates could easily be near 2.5 to 3 million per year.

follow this link for gate staffing information
Village Community Development Districts

Last edited by twoplanekid; 07-07-2022 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
A speed bump could work to slow cars down and cost a lot less than these gates and the salaries of the "guards"
Isn’t the purpose to make the cars STOP, not slow them down.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Isn’t the purpose to make the cars STOP, not slow them down.
And to spread the cars out thereby giving those trying to cross a break in traffic to do so. A speed bump would slow cars a bit but would allow a steady stream of cars with no breaks.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-06-2022, 11:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
So you don't own a golf cart, but feel enlightened enough to tell us that the gates are not beneficial for those of us who do and need to cross busy streets.
Right.
Yes, "right!" I have enough golf cart experience to be able to speak effectively about them. Don't second guess me.

No one needs to own a golf cart to feel "enlightened" regarding what the gates do or don't do! Everyone knows that. I have been through the gates thousands of times as have many others. In addition, there are no gates located right at a busy street.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Cars Come First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
And to spread the cars out thereby giving those trying to cross a break in traffic to do so. A speed bump would slow cars a bit but would allow a steady stream of cars with no breaks.
Other than at the Morse gate, there are very few "steady streams of cars" at gates. Please stop exaggerating by creating a mountain out of a molehill!

It is the responsibility of a golf cart to wait until vehicular traffic permits them to cross a Village entrance. The few cars waiting in line to go through a gate come first! If an automobile driver waves one on, that's fine. But otherwise, they wait.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Since it's "readily available", support your claim and provide us the link.
Thanks in advance.
If you read all the comments, others in this thread have already given statistics that support most, but not all of the gate costs .
Old 07-07-2022, 04:54 AM
Veteran member

The gate us scheduled to close after each car goes thru. How many times to multiple cars go thru when the gate is up fir the car ahead? One car at a time, less gate crashes.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:05 AM
Veteran member

Gates aren't manned 24/7. Go thru the gates after midnight, and you'll see that there is no attendant.

IMHO, sometimes the gates are hard to see, even though they are red and white. For me, it appears that the horizontal bar just blends into the scenery, especially at the exit gates. I would prefer that they were shiny yellow and red like the bumpers and backs of the fire trucks and ambulances. Easier to see.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:05 AM

This is a silly post and response. On one hand they complain about how fast the golf carts drive, how many unsafe acts the bicyclists commit, cars driving in MMPs, and people feeling privileged. The gates are necessary because operating a vehicle causes problems or perceived problems. I
Old 07-07-2022, 05:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
make them pay $1000 for repairs , then see how many get busted .
They put in the cameras exactly for this reason.The charge is $200 I believe. They have 2 guys whose full time job is to fix the gates.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:53 AM

The gates help space out traffic allowing bike cyclists, carts and pedestrians openings to cross. I have seen similar gates on on-ramps to interstates in densely populated urbane areas help space traffic.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:58 AM
Default There are cameras- video of the gate crashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Got to catch them first, then got make them pay, odds are not going to happen.
They catch them a lot because there are video cameras of the crashing !!
Old 07-07-2022, 06:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
IN looking at the budget figures on Village Community Development Districts, I would say the cost for gate maintenance would be at least $500,000 per year as calculated in my previous post plus 13 - 24 hour staffed gates at 13x24x $10 per hour x 365 days = $1,138,800 plus 10 gates staffed at say ~1/2 that at 569,400 for a total of at least $1,708,200. Other cost would be utilities and other services so I would say that cost to man and maintain gates could easily be near 2.5 to 3 million be year.

follow this link for gate staffing information
Village Community Development Districts
thank you for the information.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Yes, "right!" I have enough golf cart experience to be able to speak effectively about them. Don't second guess me.

No one needs to own a golf cart to feel "enlightened" regarding what the gates do or don't do! Everyone knows that. I have been through the gates thousands of times as have many others. In addition, there are no gates located right at a busy street.
But since you don't own a cart, or use a cart, you, of course, see no benefit in the gates. Most residents of TV do use golf carts, and use them a lot. So those of us who do use golf carts a lot see everyday the value of having a gate arm come down and stop traffic in order to let at least one car across. During busy times, the carts would be backed up a long way waiting for a natural break in the stream of traffic. That's a fact.
I'm not "second guessing " you. I'm telling you you are just plain wrong in saying they don't help.

As far as the expense, using Two Plane Kid's numbers from the District site, of $3Million/year, and dividing it by the estimated 130,000 people who live in TV, that comes to about $23/year per person, or $46 per household.

Most of us are more than happy to pay that amount in order to have the cart traffic moving along, and don't mind the moment of inconvenience it causes us when we are in our cars.
Closed Thread

Tags
gate, day, gates, record, it’s

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.