A New "Gripe" to add to the monthly rotation

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2020, 04:18 PM

5 lb bag of ice on your head while IN the pool and your problem is solved!!!
No need to Thank me....
Old 08-13-2020, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRICHARD View Post
5 lb bag of ice on your head while IN the pool and your problem is solved!!!
No need to Thank me....
I like that!

Put a cooler over that and tie the handles under your chin.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:05 PM

"I WAS IN THE POOL!" (with ice in my suit) George Costanza
Old 08-13-2020, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry van View Post
"I WAS IN THE POOL!" (with ice in my suit) George Costanza
shrinkage, shrinkage, shrinkage
Old 08-14-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
So we have "we want Costco" and "no white crosses" and "snowbirders" and "speeding golf carts" and "slow golf carts" and "them thar southern Villagers" and "you old fuddy duddies."

I'll add a new one that I haven't seen before: the temperature of the water in the pools!

That's right kids, if you think there aren't enough first-world problems to whine about, here's one more.

What we need - is to cool off that water. The last time I went to Hilltop it felt as if I was swimming in baby pee. Not warm enough for a proper jacuzzi, but not cool enough to actually cool me off. Pools should be refreshing, that's the whole point of the ones that you're not supposed to actually SWIM in (that's another rant in case you've forgotten).

Ice, or a refrigeration

, or put the shade umbrellas closer to the pool rims, or some anti-reflective agent to the paint, or something.

Trying to feel refreshed by soaking in 80° water is gross.
Sorry, NOT trying to be snide, but maybe just turning OFF the heaters they are always bragging about keeping the water so warm here would be a good start ?
As for wanting a Costco, that and TJ's have been a request at least since 2002, and probably before that. Personally, if not possible here (and a community this sized probably does not make sense) but always thought perhaps Ocala might draw from a great distance and be worth a "look" by these corporations.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
Sorry, NOT trying to be snide, but maybe just turning OFF the heaters they are always bragging about keeping the water so warm here would be a good start ?
As for wanting a Costco, that and TJ's have been a request at least since 2002, and probably before that. Personally, if not possible here (and a community this sized probably does not make sense) but always thought perhaps Ocala might draw from a great distance and be worth a "look" by these corporations.
Water in our local pool was cooler today, wonder if it was due to the rain storm yesterday afternoon.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:49 PM
Default Pool shelters for a select few pools ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Square Business. Let's see how much it would cost to add Chillers for between 60 & 90 pools by the time this joint is finished and how much it would cost to run those Chillers and then add it to that amount to the amenity fee if, in fact, that is where the pool maintenance comes from. I really don't know or care truthfully.

The next thing would be Umbrella sales would Skyrocket and Flooding would occur from the tears that would be shed because of the increase in the monthly cost.
We live in Florida. I always assumed the pool would be hot. That's why we go to the Paradise Pool. The swimmers there are Gladder cause they have Smaller Bladders!
Maybe they could enclose the pools or put Big trees around them to shade the water!
It has been seriously proposed (but never seriously considered) in the past to select at least one pool in each of the 3 major divisions of the Villages, and erect a solar shade like those used at some resorts over the pools. This reduces the direct sunlight (at resorts one of the goals to to protect children) and does reduce the temperature of the pool. It was suggested here when The Villages closed their only indoor pool and left residents with skin cancer (in the thousands here), those who take medications that forbid direct sunlight, and (a lower number but still important) provide an option to those who have a chronic allergy to direct sun rays. Everything is expensive, but, compared to an indoor pool, and to building an actual open structure over a pool, for a community which collects the amount of money collected here, the price of such a sun protection is completely affordable (just think what is spent only for flowers several times a year; and that would not mean NO flowers, not at all, just judicious use of attractive plantings). Does that solve all problems, no of course not, can rays still glance off the water, of course, but if you have ever been to a resort having such a shelter for it's guests in the the resort pool, you also know they are VERY attractive... almost look like beautiful sails, quite aesthetic, and would be such an asset to so many residents unable to enjoy our pools (which close so early ! How many hotels, motels, resorts tell guests they can not use the pool AFTER the intense sun hours ?)
Old 08-14-2020, 02:55 PM

Hey Orange Blossom, first of all why do some people get down on the southern villagers--we are all villagers in a community and should be united. Then, as far as the pools are concerned, they are beautiful and many of them, but I am a germaphobic and avoid the pools and that's alright because I don't swim anyway. You are not going to tell me that we are not swimming in pee with all the seniors in the pools!
Old 08-14-2020, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
It has been seriously proposed (but never seriously considered) in the past to select at least one pool in each of the 3 major divisions of the Villages, and erect a solar shade like those used at some resorts over the pools. This reduces the direct sunlight (at resorts one of the goals to to protect children) and does reduce the temperature of the pool.
I started this thread mostly in jest, but you actually bring up a great inspiration for "improvement," should anyone ever actually ask the residents what they think about improving the facade of paradise we have here in The Villages.

I'm thinking, a pergola over the shallow end of each pool, or perhaps at the corners of each pool, if the pool is square/rectangular.

It won't "solve" the problem of very warm unrefreshing water in the summertime, but it might help reduce the problem.

I also think increasing the air flow of the filters will help - or perhaps tossing a floating bubbler into the pool when it's closed, to help aerate and cool off the water at night, so it's less warm in the morning (and therefore takes longer to heat up on days when you expect it to heat up).
Old 08-15-2020, 07:15 AM

Many of the Village people should have moved to NC - yea you will have to pay taxes on your retirement but who wants to live around a bunch of folks just complaining and sitting around waiting for that ambulance? Get a half acre away from everyone and die alone - in the end we all die alone anyway. Right?
Old 08-15-2020, 08:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD HOFFMAN View Post
Many of the Village people should have moved to NC - yea you will have to pay taxes on your retirement but who wants to live around a bunch of folks just complaining and sitting around waiting for that ambulance? Get a half acre away from everyone and die alone - in the end we all die alone anyway. Right?
Just because people come here to talk and sometimes complain doesnt mean most of us are chronic complainers.

After doing exhaustive research only 23.565236% of the threads are here to complain.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I started this thread mostly in jest, but you actually bring up a great inspiration for "improvement," should anyone ever actually ask the residents what they think about improving the facade of paradise we have here in The Villages.

I'm thinking, a pergola over the shallow end of each pool, or perhaps at the corners of each pool, if the pool is square/rectangular.

It won't "solve" the problem of very warm unrefreshing water in the summertime, but it might help reduce the problem.

I also think increasing the air flow of the filters will help - or perhaps tossing a floating bubbler into the pool when it's closed, to help aerate and cool off the water at night, so it's less warm in the morning (and therefore takes longer to heat up on days when you expect it to heat up).
Oooh, something new. A great idea? Nope. Social distancing. Stairs in the shallow end corner of most pools. A swing and a miss. Good out of the box thinking though. It's hot. The water is going to be hot. End of scoop!. This is not sarcasm!

When you started this Thread OBB from now on you will have to point out when you are going to be sarcastic until we get accustomed to your new configuration. You normally come out blasting. I didn't pick up on sarcasm until you announced it.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:29 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD HOFFMAN View Post
Best 1st post EVER.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:33 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Just because people come here to talk and sometimes complain doesnt mean most of us are chronic complainers.

After doing exhaustive research only 23.565236% of the threads are here to complain.
Like most statistics, you probably just made that up. But in fairness, some posters here NEVER have a good thing to say. It's always negative and usually towards the very developer who built this place most of the residents do appreciate. I would hate to be so unhappy as some appear to be. Good news, there's only about 20 chronic bitchers out of thousands of registered posters. So there's that.

Old 08-15-2020, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpuleo View Post
Hey Orange Blossom, first of all why do some people get down on the southern villagers--we are all villagers in a community and should be united. Then, as far as the pools are concerned, they are beautiful and many of them, but I am a germaphobic and avoid the pools and that's alright because I don't swim anyway. You are not going to tell me that we are not swimming in pee with all the seniors in the pools!
I don't know why some people get down on southern villages. You should ask them.

If you're a germaphobe, then stay home. There are germs EVERYWHERE and you can't avoid them unless you walk around in a bubble suit.
Closed Thread

Tags
cool, water, carts, pools, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.