New Home Construction

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2007, 05:33 AM
Default Re: New Home Construction

;D

Steve;
Amen. Could not have said it better. The trolls are out.

Tony
Old 10-23-2007, 12:06 PM

Am I missing something? I just don't get the comment about "trolling ". I agree that all of us in these forums have obviously done our homework, and are asking the right questions. But I remember, a year or so ago, talking to a couple who had never been to The Villages, came on the Lifestyle Preveiw, got caught up in the "sales pitch", and bought a designer home. They were laughing about, wondering how they did such a thing, but so far they were happy with the decision. I think its like condo buying - lots of people buy those without doing any research, etc. Not something I'd do, but those people are out there. No need to get offended about Disney world remarks - to some people this is Disney world and they like it! Hopefully these forums are a place where we can all express our different opinions.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:10 PM

Oops, I meant to say condo time shares, not condo buying.....
Old 10-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Platinum member

Popcorn ceilings and vinyl never looked so good in TV. And we've not even bought yet. There's a home and a style of living there for everyone. Been trying for 2 years to get there. We've stayed with friends in Sable Chase in there popcorn vinyl home. Gorgeous to say the least. Yeah give me a home in TV so I can enjoy new friends while I eat my popcorn and have a beverage.

Steve
Old 10-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Gold member

Along with my vinyl and popcorn I got ........... ;D

golf courses (that's plural)

swimming pools ( plural again...)

recreation centers ( my choice again)

free nightly entertainment

2 but soon to be 3 town centers

even a couple of playgrounds!!!!!!

Need I go on? : :
Old 10-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beady
Along with my vinyl and popcorn I got ........... ;D

golf courses (that's plural)

swimming pools ( plural again...)

recreation centers ( my choice again)

free nightly entertainment

2 but soon to be 3 town centers

even a couple of playgrounds!!!!!!

Need I go on? : :
My point exactly. Where else has as much as TV has to offer. We've looked, nothing comes close. If there are such other places, don't keep it a secret.

Even here in lil' Delaware, there are people, when you mention TV, they say they wouln't want to live there.

"To each their own".

:
Village of Hemmingway
Old 10-24-2007, 05:10 AM
Veteran member

Pop corn will some day come lose and begin to seperate from the dry wall if knock down as they call it is done right is drywall compound and becomes part of the cieling much less chance of falling off. Concrete block is more sound proof and has a better thermal resistantance even though your R rating may be lower.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:56 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug
Pop corn will some day come lose and begin to seperate from the dry wall if knock down as they call it is done right is drywall compound and becomes part of the cieling much less chance of falling off. Concrete block is more sound proof and has a better thermal resistantance even though your R rating may be lower.

May be but in my life life time ? NOT !

Steve
Old 10-27-2007, 01:47 AM

I’ve built homes for a living and from a professional standpoint many of the homes in TV are not build well. For those that think different where was there quality control when over 1,000 home had the siding put on wrong. Yes 1,000. I would play it safe, if your 1-year Warranty isn’t up hire an inspector to take a look, and then call TV for repairs while the home is still covered. As for those popcorn ceiling I won’t even go there.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:59 PM

Just had to comment, I don't live in TV yet, about 4 more years. But I live in Deltona, ( 60 miles east) in a 30 year old home with popcorn ceilings. Yes it is 70's, but they haven't fallen down yet.(but they do need painting again) And yes I have vinyl siding, without any problems. And about 4 years ago I put vinyl on my sons home to cover up the rotted semiwood (t111). I don't see why vinyl and popcorn would be a problem.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:43 PM

gowens1

Many of the popcorn ceilings from the 70's have asbestos in them, could be a big problem come time to sell.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:50 PM

I would definitely test for the asbestos. We had the same problem in my last house. I wanted to remove it and we had a bit tested and came back positive. Ended up painting over it and calling it a day. Downside was we had to then give that info when we sold the house and it hurt us a lot and lost many potential buyers....
Old 10-27-2007, 02:01 PM

If interested you can purchase a test kit on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Lab-Inc-As.../dp/B000DZDSII
Old 12-09-2007, 10:55 PM

I have noticed even the $125,000 Villas now have Hand Trowelled Ceilings instead of that out dated pop corn stuff. I guess as soon as the market slowed they had to give buyers a little more.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:40 AM

Popcorn ceilings do a great job of hiding the seams and imperfections from showing with the shadows and stuff and thats it. Many homes just showing flat ceilings can easily show the taped seams and joint compound if not done correctly.

My preference on the ceilings/walls is a process they do in Arizona thats done what I heard is called a wet trowel. It is flat compound that has different designs coming off the trowel and drys on top of the drywall. Painted it comes up very nice and the corners of walls are rounded not squared and easier to maintain without having those constant specs of square edges with compound and paint chips showing up every time you knock something into the edge.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.