New home heat pump

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2022, 09:02 PM
Veteran member
Default New home heat pump

We have a newer home in ST Catherine and when I looked at the heat pump they put in, it looks like it is undersized for our house sq footage. We have a 2038 sq ft house with a 3 ton heat pump and when I check on many sites online, the right size for a 2000 sq ft house is a 4 ton heat pump.
Has anybody else ran into this and if so, have you brought this up to the developer?
Old 04-23-2022, 10:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,745 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
We have a newer home in ST Catherine and when I looked at the heat pump they put in, it looks like it is undersized for our house sq footage. We have a 2038 sq ft house with a 3 ton heat pump and when I check on many sites online, the right size for a 2000 sq ft house is a 4 ton heat pump.
Has anybody else ran into this and if so, have you brought this up to the developer?
The rule of thumb is about 600 SF per ton. 3 tons is about the correct size. I think 4 tons would be oversized.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:02 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The rule of thumb is about 600 SF per ton. 3 tons is about the correct size. I think 4 tons would be oversized.
Duuuuuuuuude: = 600 + 600 + 600 = ______
Old 04-24-2022, 06:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Duuuuuuuuude: = 600 + 600 + 600 = ______
The rule of thumb is a rough estimate. 3.5 tons may be closer to the correct size. But, unless there is a cooling issue, I don't think the builder will change it out. I haven't seen any cooling issues in The Villages.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:51 AM
Veteran member

My new home is 33% bigger than my old home, and the heat pump is 33% smaller. The new homes are so much better insulated than the ones built even 15 years ago and don't require the same size heat pump.

We've been in it 4 years and have had no issues, even when it's 100 out.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

Quote:
You should be able to get the heat loss calculation for your home which will have the required size of the HVAC system from the county building department. This should answer all of your questions. Then if the calculation shows a different size, you can call home warranty, to find out who installed it and request the correct sized unit.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I have never looked as it works and my house it cool. Guessing you looked because you have a problem getting your house to cool down. Document the issue and contact the warranty department. If you don’t have an issue cooling your house I would not worry about it.
Old 04-24-2022, 02:16 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
I have never looked as it works and my house it cool. Guessing you looked because you have a problem getting your house to cool down. Document the issue and contact the warranty department. If you don’t have an issue cooling your house I would not worry about it.
A heat pump is basically an A/C unit it’s in the winter months is when it changes by taking the ambient heat from the outside air it converts that to heat for the house. Depending on design and efficiency some work well others not. When outside air reaches 32f approximately most efficiently is lost.
Old 04-24-2022, 08:55 PM
Veteran member

My concern is 3 tons might be on the smallish size and it will work harder to cool the house down compared to a larger size which won’t work as hard. I’ll ask Munns who put it in. Thanks
Old 04-24-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
My concern is 3 tons might be on the smallish size and it will work harder to cool the house down compared to a larger size which won’t work as hard. Air conditioners and heat pumps are vastly different on how they operate. I don’t know what the seer rating is but I doubt it’s the most efficient heat pump out there. I’ll ask Munns who put it in. Thanks
Slightly undersized is better than oversized. Far better to have longer run times versus short cycling. You might consider a variable heat pump if you replace it. I have a Carrier variable speed heat pump that is slightly undersized by performs well year round. As pointed out, get the calcs from the building department and see what they recommend. The size of the unit is just one variable in cooling a home - there are others including supply duct sizing, return sizing, type of inside unit, window sizing and direction etc etc.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:52 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
my concern is 3 tons might be on the smallish size and it will work harder to cool the house down compared to a larger size which won’t work as hard. I’ll ask munns who put it in. Thanks
as you know your home 1st year warranty is almost up.
There are home inspectors who advertise here on totv.
I also live in st catherine's and will be utilizing their services which i believe would also address yours and the myriad of items us non professionals would obviously miss
good luck.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJim View Post
Slightly undersized is better than oversized. Far better to have longer run times versus short cycling. You might consider a variable heat pump if you replace it. I have a Carrier variable speed heat pump that is slightly undersized by performs well year round. As pointed out, get the calcs from the building department and see what they recommend. The size of the unit is just one variable in cooling a home - there are others including supply duct sizing, return sizing, type of inside unit, window sizing and direction etc etc.
You nailed it.

Also oversized condensers can cause humidity and air quality issues as dehumidification is another function of AC.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:04 AM

If you want to increase your heat pump efficiency, have the spaces above your lanai and garage insulated or have a radiant barrier installed. This will help with your attic temps and take some of the strain off your heat pump.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
My concern is 3 tons might be on the smallish size and it will work harder to cool the house down compared to a larger size which won’t work as hard. I’ll ask Munns who put it in. Thanks
You will get an answer from them but probably not an objective one because they would have to admit they put an undersized unit in your house. Look at the good news ; you are going to have to replace it in about 12 years or less anyway. As others have stated your A/C works as an evaporator inside your house while it is running removing humid air. I would just relax and enjoy your new home and be more concerned with changing the filter (twice as often as recommended with the exact size replacement)and making sure the condensation drain is flowing properly
Old 04-25-2022, 05:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmean58 View Post
If you want to increase your heat pump efficiency, have the spaces above your lanai and garage insulated or have a radiant barrier installed. This will help with your attic temps and take some of the strain off your heat pump.
You would get better results by adding insulation to the attic spaces above the conditioned areas. Insulating unconditioned areas will not have much benefit. That is why unconditioned areas, like the garage and lanai, are not insulated in the first place.
Closed Thread

Tags
heat, pump, house, home, ton

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.