New Home Inventory - Builder Still Holding Firm Against Negotiating?

Old 03-24-2024, 03:02 PM
Default New Home Inventory - Builder Still Holding Firm Against Negotiating?

There was a thread back in September (now closed) discussing whether negotiating was possible on new homes. It was clear the builder does not negotiate on new builds or spec homes but that it's common to watch for discounts posted on spec homes the longer they sit.

Now that Eastport is starting to crank out homes, while Denham and Dabney still have plenty on-hand, has anyone heard of buyers negotiating?

I love to negotiate on whatever I can but, having bought three new build homes throughout my life, actually like the "level playing field" of new home construction's structured pricing/sales.

I purchased a new build in TV summer 2023 and was told the builder used to negotiate years ago, but no longer does for a wide array of reasons. This market might just test that policy.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:23 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Don't count on it.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:32 PM
Sage

The houses on our street were new in early 2008, when the financial sky had fallen and pillars of big business were on the ropes. No negotiating then or ever since.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

It would be crazy for the developer to start negotiating the price of new houses.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Instead of negotiating, my guess would be they would slow down building rate if demand fell. But so far there are more and more and more people retiring to The Villages. I think once all the Baby boomer cohort has retired there maybe a real change in demand for housing here.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyBeach View Post
There was a thread back in September (now closed) discussing whether negotiating was possible on new homes. It was clear the builder does not negotiate on new builds or spec homes but that it's common to watch for discounts posted on spec homes the longer they sit.

Now that Eastport is starting to crank out homes, while Denham and Dabney still have plenty on-hand, has anyone heard of buyers negotiating?

I love to negotiate on whatever I can but, having bought three new build homes throughout my life, actually like the "level playing field" of new home construction's structured pricing/sales.

I purchased a new build in TV summer 2023 and was told the builder used to negotiate years ago, but no longer does for a wide array of reasons. This market might just test that policy.
NO - never in 20 years I've been here.
Old 03-24-2024, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

They still sell more than 70 homes a week.
Old 03-24-2024, 06:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:

It’s pretty clear which areas will sell fast and which will not.
If we can figure it out on TOTV, you know the developer knows.
They don’t need to negotiate. They will lower some prices eventually, but they probably planned for it.

Last edited by Papa_lecki; 03-24-2024 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Not sure where you get your numbers from, but based upon the Lake County Property Appriser data (which admittedly is a little slow in recording), Lake Dedham is almost 87% sold (hardly plenty on hand) and Dabney is almost 1/3 sold. Newell is basically sold out, the only unsold are Harper Villas which I believe are being held back for Lifestyle visits.
Old 03-24-2024, 08:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Instead of negotiating, my guess would be they would slow down building rate if demand fell. But so far there are more and more and more people retiring to The Villages. I think once all the Baby boomer cohort has retired there maybe a real change in demand for housing here.
Gen Xers (the generation after the Boomers) are already moving in...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-24-2024, 08:49 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Gen Xers (the generation after the Boomers) are already moving in...
That is true and they have already heavily invested in industrial land which will be their next big adventure, I can see them owning a Florida railroad in the future to go along with the 4500 acres they purchased in Wildwood and the other parcels of industrial land that they own.. They are far ahead of any of us.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
Not sure where you get your numbers from, but based upon the Lake County Property Appriser data (which admittedly is a little slow in recording), Lake Dedham is almost 87% sold (hardly plenty on hand) and Dabney is almost 1/3 sold. Newell is basically sold out, the only unsold are Harper Villas which I believe are being held back for Lifestyle visits.
Sure, here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs2z6dpoG14&t=582s
Old 03-24-2024, 09:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Sorry to confuse things with facts
Old 03-24-2024, 10:53 PM
Veteran member

At the moment, Moultrie Creek is selling well. Maybe, there will be additional discounts on homes in Lake Denham and Dabney. There were 400 new homes available in that area at the end of December. In January, the Developer reduced the price of 250 homes. Nearing the end of March, even with discounts, 250+ homes remain.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:46 AM
Veteran member

I'm in Lake Denham and it is selling steadily. Maybe no fast, by Covid boom standards, but more normal from how it was before Covid (so I'm told). My little neighborhood has about 3 sold per week. There's only about 17 houses left in my section. I watched the video posted above and wasn't impressed with that realtor. Maybe his numbers are correct but IIRC he didn't really even understand how much was going in to Eastport and I believe he said something like Moultrie Creek was for families.

Tags
homes, negotiate, negotiating, builder, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.