New Home Inventory - Builder Still Holding Firm Against Negotiating?

Old 03-25-2024, 06:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
I'm in Lake Denham and it is selling steadily. Maybe no fast, by Covid boom standards, but more normal from how it was before Covid (so I'm told). My little neighborhood has about 3 sold per week. There's only about 17 houses left in my section. I watched the video posted above and wasn't impressed with that realtor. Maybe his numbers are correct but IIRC he didn't really even understand how much was going in to Eastport and I believe he said something like Moultrie Creek was for families.
I agree, the talking head in the video contained misinformation about the Villages. I wouldn't buy a home he represented.

Some locations will be an easier sell than others. (e.g. Richmond, north of Eastport, ...)
Old 03-25-2024, 06:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyBeach View Post
There was a thread back in September (now closed) discussing whether negotiating was possible on new homes. It was clear the builder does not negotiate on new builds or spec homes but that it's common to watch for discounts posted on spec homes the longer they sit.

Now that Eastport is starting to crank out homes, while Denham and Dabney still have plenty on-hand, has anyone heard of buyers negotiating?

I love to negotiate on whatever I can but, having bought three new build homes throughout my life, actually like the "level playing field" of new home construction's structured pricing/sales.

I purchased a new build in TV summer 2023 and was told the builder used to negotiate years ago, but no longer does for a wide array of reasons. This market might just test that policy.
They will never negotiate. They will lower prices and the houses will sell. They’re in no rush.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Gen Xers (the generation after the Boomers) are already moving in...
I'm one of them. I'm 58 and not retired yet (remote worker). My boss (also General Xer) was asking about this place too. He likes the idea of being where he was going to retire before he retired so he can enjoy some of the benefits before he's too old.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

I’m from NJ and I purchased a new home there many years ago. There was absolutely no negotiating on the set price of a NEW home. I think that is the case everywhere.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:28 AM

We were just in the Brownwood sales center Saturday. They were preparing the 'sales' board for the coming week. They said they had 150 homes closing next week. No need to negotiate the price.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Don't count on it.
Only time will tell. Econ 101 Supply and Demand will determine. Costs money to sit on un sold properties.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

No need for the builder to negotiate, somebody will buy if you don't.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
They will never negotiate. They will lower prices and the houses will sell. They’re in no rush.
This makes the most sense. They are too big and not set up for haggling. Their way of working is lower the price if need be. Maybe add incentive like washer dryer (I heard they did that in the past but haven’t seen it). This way they don’t deal with all the haggling issues. The prices may come down but the system flows as they like it.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:57 AM
Sage

Fifteen years ago, when we bought it was at the end of that market slump where real estate all over fell low. We got a house that was bare-minimum (no ceiling fans, no garage door opener etc) at a pretty good "bargain" price. We could get them essentials and install much cheaper anyway, ourselves, which we did. Even back then we were told NO negotiating on houses!! They might have done that in the 80's and 90's---don't know though. BUT on stick-built it's not happening.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:02 AM

Quote:
There was a thread back in September (now closed) discussing whether negotiating was possible on new homes. It was clear the builder does not negotiate on new builds or spec homes but that it's common to watch for discounts posted on spec homes the longer they sit.

Now that Eastport is starting to crank out homes, while Denham and Dabney still have plenty on-hand, has anyone heard of buyers negotiating?

I love to negotiate on whatever I can but, having bought three new build homes throughout my life, actually like the "level playing field" of new home construction's structured pricing/sales.

I purchased a new build in TV summer 2023 and was told the builder used to negotiate years ago, but no longer does for a wide array of reasons. This market might just test that policy.
I have been in The Villages since 2005 and built two new construction houses. I have never heard of the "builder" negotiating the price of a new construction house. They will discount periodically if the inventory is too high or the market is slow.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Only time will tell. Econ 101 Supply and Demand will determine. Costs money to sit on un sold properties.
That’s true unless you also own the bank. Then it’s more like you’re paying yourself interest and the impact is less. The normal rules of development doesn't apply to this company because they control their associated cost across multiple industries.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Never negotiated that I’m aware of! Don’t need to! As communities close out, they will change some prices to close out the community, so they can concentrate on new Villages
Old 03-25-2024, 09:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

When we bought in 2012 they wouldn’t negotiate. I’m guessing now TV & Florida is probably one of the 1st places people want to move to, maybe if you buy from the homeowner before they turn it over to a realtor you might be able to get a better deal.But only if it’s a preowned home maybe, a new home only TV realtors can sell them, so if you want to negotiate buy a preowned home!
Old 03-25-2024, 09:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
The holding costs of unsold inventory are baked into the pricing and overall business model.

It’s not a surprise - they’ve been doing this for a long time.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:18 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyhyder View Post
That’s true unless you also own the bank. Then it’s more like you’re paying yourself interest and the impact is less. The normal rules of development doesn't apply to this company because they control their associated cost across multiple industries.
Not even close to accurate. Bank lending is regulated around the concentration of risk and as a percentage of capital., and Citizens First wouldn't come close to being able to finance the construction of all the homes in TV.

Tags
homes, negotiate, negotiating, builder, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.