New Home Noise problems

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Default New Home Noise problems

Has anyone had a low volume, oscillating HUM in their house (new or old). I do and it's been identified as being caused by the AC unit's compressor (neighbor & mine) sending a vibration through the ground and being picked up by the house structure. So far they have only added rubber bushings to the AC units bolts connected to the concrete pad-- helped some but seems to me that this house picks up vibration too easily due to metal in house structure/ceilings (studs/ceiling strips). Any experience & comments? tks
Old 12-12-2017, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageBud View Post
Has anyone had a low volume, oscillating HUM in their house (new or old). I do and it's been identified as being caused by the AC unit's compressor (neighbor & mine) sending a vibration through the ground and being picked up by the house structure. So far they have only added rubber bushings to the AC units bolts connected to the concrete pad-- helped some but seems to me that this house picks up vibration too easily due to metal in house structure/ceilings (studs/ceiling strips). Any experience & comments? tks

No. Not in either house here. One was frame, this one is block stucco. The homes are close together and some people have good hearing.

Most good hearing disappears over time.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OP, One possibility might be that your homes happen to resonate at the same frequency as the A/C compressor. I do not know of any simple fixes if this is the problem. You might be able to test this theory with suitable equipment. For example a sub-woofer, amplifier, and signal generator could provide a variable frequency source, and a calibrated microphone would provide the level of the sound. Then sweeping the frequency range would show if there were any peaks (room resonance).
It just occurred to me that rugs might help, but if the walls or ceilings are resonating, then solutions become much more difficult, as you would need to somehow stiffen the wall or ceiling.
One other thought, a 'sound proof' or sound reducing fence or similar around the A/C unit.

Hope this helps, send me a PM with your phone # if you would like to discuss further.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

It may have something to do with the hurricane code??? The construction of our house was delayed a bit due to something to do with the hurricane code.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

I thought I knew everything, but I don't have a clue with your problem. Maybe if I have a few more beers, I'll figure it out.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have had something similar in a previous home with a Carrier Heatpump. It only occurred in heating mode with the compressor in low-speed (it had a two-speed compressor) and was best described as a "hum". The system had a fairly long lineset (about 75' IIRC) and I suspected the issue was that the lineset was effectively tuned to the frequency of the compressor. The Contractor had a similar theory and increased the lineset by a few feet (brazed a short piece to the liquid line) and it markedly reduced but did not totally eliminate the problem. The neighbors house was not part of the problem.

Quote:

Last edited by tuccillo; 12-12-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:36 PM

If it's humming, it's probably because it doesn't know the words! :-)
Old 12-12-2017, 10:28 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Sympathetic vibration from some source?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-13-2017, 08:29 AM
Eternal Member

Very possible your home is located in a small vortex. Bring some crystals into your home.

Google The Taos Hum.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Thought that our 4 year old TV home and 1 year old car was making continual higher pitched buzzing sounds.

Finally determined that it was Tinnitus...
Old 12-13-2017, 09:27 AM
Sage

My husband complains of the same thing. For years now he'll say, "Do you hear that hum?" He only hears it in one room. I don't hear it but then I don't hear rain falling either, unless it's a downpour.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
When I read your post the first thing that came to mind was the Taos Hum. Hearing is as individual as the person. We all have deficiencies in certain frequency ranges and the opposite is true, we have greater sensitivity in various frequency ranges. Two people in your home may not, or will probably not, hear the same noises.

What is the Taos Hum?
Old 12-13-2017, 08:31 PM
Gold member

Hmmm. interesting

What’s the Mysterious Hum Driving People Crazy Around the World? – TheBlaze

Quote:
Old 12-14-2017, 08:26 AM

Update: recently the Lanai fans are causing a noise in the Lanai ceiling. People climbed into attic and discovered that the thin metal strips in the ceiling were not attached to the sheet rock, causing them to vibrate; fans checked and are fine. Seems these metal strips and the metal studs may also be the cause of the resonant Hum from the AC units-- hoping so.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Veteran member

Since I'm practically deaf I would not have that problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
house, vibration, units, pad--, concrete

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.