New Hospital in The Villages

Old 03-02-2024, 04:47 AM
Veteran member
Default New Hospital in The Villages

Does anyone know if they scrapped the plans to build a new Hospital south of 44?

Old 03-02-2024, 06:50 AM

University of Florida backed out of the deal when the impact fees rose drastically shortly after the announcement. By the time the impact fees were backed out, UF had named a new CEO to run their medical business and the new person did not want to pursue again. Supposedly, the developer has been searching for a replacement company and it is rumored that they are getting close to an agreement with someone. I can probably bet that it will not be as comprehensive as the UF plan which I thought was impressive for our community!

Old 03-02-2024, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
Does anyone know if they scrapped the plans to build a new Hospital south of 44?
There was a lot of talk in 2021 about it being canceled due to a proposed impact fee increase in Sumter County. There were also several rebuttals saying the hospital was planned for Lake County and not Sumter County. Also, while the resolution raising the Sumter impact fee was passed, a state law was passed to invalidate the increase and the resolution was rescinded. There was no increase to the impact fee.

I remember several threads about this including one lengthy post giving a timeline of the activities surrounding the new hospital. I have tried searching but cannot find the posts I thought I remembered. It's either aging memory, poor search terms, or a memory hole but at this point I can't be sure which.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Old 03-02-2024, 08:53 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Shortage of doctors/nurses has caused a lot of hospitals to rethink building. With all the growth, Florida may be the need epicenter for more medical facilities.

Old 03-02-2024, 06:03 PM
Gold member

It’s interesting, up in Myrtle Beach, a plan was withdrawn for a new hospital citing environmental opposition given its location to protected acreage. You really don’t see new ‘hospitals’ being developed ....rather urgent care/walk in clinics. The latter easier to permit/construct as they are very profitable but can only stabilize more serious conditions and transport. Unfortunately, the need for the larger specialized treatment facilities continues. Previous post was spot on, this is a huge issue given the expanding, aging population growth in Florida.

Old 03-03-2024, 02:59 PM

I was told by 466A Emergency Room Doctor, HCA Trailwinds, land behind emergency facility has been purchased for a 60 bed associated hospital. Now environmental studies, etc. should be taking place. ??

Old 03-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Gold member

Conway Medical Center drops Carolina Forest hospital plans | Myrtle Beach News | postandcourier.com

Tags
hospital, south, build, plans, scrapped

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.