New House- Electicity Problem?

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2023, 03:23 PM
Default New House- Electicity Problem?

Don't want to call an electrician if someone smart here can tell me if this is a non-problem.

We have a stereo receiver. Our TV, home theater, etc. is connected to it. We leave it on all the time. Our ceiling fan is in the same room. When we turn OFF the ceiling fan the home theater speakers make a single, dull POP sound.

Does this indicate something is not wired properly- or has somehow become problematic? We had this same arrangement up North and there was no Pop.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2023, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Just a thought. Are the speakers wireless? Does the ceiling fan operate on a remote? If either is the case, you probably need to change the code on the ceiling fan and it's remote to a different frequency. This requires removing the ceiling fan escutcheon and resetting the pins.
Old 11-27-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Just a thought. Are the speakers wireless? Does the ceiling fan operate on a remote? If either is the case, you probably need to change the code on the ceiling fan and it's remote to a different frequency. This requires removing the ceiling fan escutcheon and resetting the pins.
Speakers are not wireless, and the fan is connected to a wall switch.
Old 11-27-2023, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Don't want to call an electrician if someone smart here can tell me if this is a non-problem.

We have a stereo receiver. Our TV, home theater, etc. is connected to it. We leave it on all the time. Our ceiling fan is in the same room. When we turn OFF the ceiling fan the home theater speakers make a single, dull POP sound.

Does this indicate something is not wired properly- or has somehow become problematic? We had this same arrangement up North and there was no Pop.

Thanks!
That's possible with some fan/controllers where they don't suppress emi from the fan motor, no worries.

What input is the receiver switched to?

Are the cables shielded?

Make sure the cables on the receiver are firmly attached.
Old 11-27-2023, 03:56 PM
Sage

I don't know what the problem is. Does the problem still occur if you use the chain to turn off the ceiling fan? If not, I would suggest getting a remote for the ceiling fan. It may solve the problem because you can leave the wall switch on all the time, and it will make the ceiling fan more convenient. Very inexpensive and easy to install. You may also try plugging the receiver into a different outlet, if possible. I assume the speakers are plugged into the receiver. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know what the problem is. Does the problem still occur if you use the chain to turn off the ceiling fan? If not, I would suggest getting a remote for the ceiling fan. It may solve the problem because you can leave the wall switch on all the time, and it will make the ceiling fan more convenient. Very inexpensive and easy to install. You may also try plugging the receiver into a different outlet, if possible. I assume the speakers are plugged into the receiver. Good luck.
I don't want to find ways for it to go away- I want to find out if it indicates a safety problem.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
That's possible with some fan/controllers where they don't suppress emi from the fan motor, no worries.

What input is the receiver switched to?

Are the cables shielded?

Make sure the cables on the receiver are firmly attached.
The input is set to DOCK when the TV is not in use. Our Alexa is connected to the receiver's DOCK setting. We use the Alexa to play music. Believe or not the music going through our receiver sounds like a concert hall. I don't know what shielded cable are. We are using RCA cables, HDMI cable, and regular speaker wire.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
I don't want to find ways for it to go away- I want to find out if it indicates a safety problem.
I don't think it is a safety problem. My guess is that the speakers are reacting to the ceiling fan. But, if the house is under warranty, I would have an electrician check it out.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

IMHO, this is not a safety problem, your surround sound system appears to be picking up the electrical noise when the fan is switched off. Your could try a high quality noise suppressor on the feed to the sound system. You can double check all of your cables to and from the sound system and make sure all of the connections are tight. It MAY be possible to replace the fan switch with one that has suppression built in, however I would need to research this.
Old 11-27-2023, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
One more vote for not a safety problem.

FYI - Your home has Arc Fault Breakers designed to detect a wide range of arcing electrical faults to help reduce the electrical system from being an ignition source of a fire.

https://www.afcisafety.org/afci/what...-c10527c7-13fd

Last edited by Altavia; 11-27-2023 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:05 PM

Not a safety problem as the popping noise usually indicates a small voltage spike in that circuit. I'm assuming the receiver and fan are on the same circuit. It can mean the capacitors in your receiver are getting a little weak as over time they dry out and do not regulate voltage as well as before. You can buy a voltage conditioner that you can plug the receiver into and that should stop the voltage spike.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!
I was thinking about this some more, and ours turns on and off automatically with the TV. This is done with the HDMI-ARC function on each piece of equipment, so it is not on all the time.
Old 11-27-2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I was thinking about this some more, and ours turns on and off automatically with the TV. This is done with the HDMI-ARC function on each piece of equipment, so it is not on all the time.
We intentionally leave it on all the time in the Dock mode. Our Alexa is piped through it so we can simply ask for a song and hear it play through the receiver without having to turn it on. After reading the answers here to my question I'm no longer concerned about it being a safety issue. Thank you for your input
Old 11-28-2023, 08:39 AM

Concur with highly likely NOT a safety issue. If you want to address the pop (if it annoys etc), two things to try:

1) a good surge suppressor on the stereo might help filter any direct power spikes.
2) Very possible the switch on the wall is "bad", not bad enough to not work, but bad enough to create RF interference. Changing out the wall switch might solve issue. NOTE, I would not call a safety issue unless the switch is not operating reliably in the on and/or off position.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:32 AM

work in the villages is not good. we are going to sell and get out and go home not a happy place
Closed Thread

Tags
fan, ceiling, pop, theater, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.