New House: rip out carpet in bedrooms and replace with tile that is in other areas?

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2020, 07:22 AM

Yes
Carpet is builder grade and will deteriorate quickly
Old 03-17-2020, 07:26 AM

When we bought our house 2 years ago, my husband wanted carpet in the bedroom and I didn't. But I decided to let him have his way and I am so glad we did! We went with a flooring store in Wildwood that put down wonderful padding without me even asking for the best and it feels wonderful. That's the only room in our house that has carpet but I am so glad it does!
Old 03-17-2020, 07:43 AM

We replaced our moldy, worn, disgusting bedroom carpet with beautiful laminate flooring. It coordinates well with our tile. Many have remarked on how beautiful it is. Bought area rugs which work well with decor. I wouldn’t want tile in the bedrooms...too cold on my feet. Laminate is ‘warmer’.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:44 AM

Carpet doesn’t hold up well here. We tried laminate. That started to get seedy looking after 10 years. Tile is in the kitchen and sunroom. Still looks good after 20 years. Buy tile with color all the way thru. If not, chip from a dropped pan shows up black on a white tile. We love vinyl plank flooring. Wish we did it year one. Easy to maintain and should hold up lifetime. Expensive so shop around.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:47 AM

Yes and yes. However, I’d go with a high grade laminate flooring vs tile. Because, a pad can be used under the laminate and laminate is very easy to keep clean. Tile grout is a pain to keep clean and it’s very hard on your legs.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:48 AM

I always worry about the same thing. Personally I would go ahead and do it in the guest bedrooms. I like carpet in my master bedroom.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:55 AM

We replaced all carpeting in our house with tile. Originally we replaced every room except bedrooms then a year or so realized should have done it all. Of course by then the original tiles were no longer available but as it turned out we went with a little larger tile and as close to the original. Worked out for us. So if your whole house with the same tile is important to you do it now. FYI tile floors are soooo easy to take care of.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:57 AM

I would ripe it out. carpet gets dirty and if you do want to match existing tile do it now.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:59 AM
Veteran member

We just bought new and have carpet in bedrooms and living area. Tile in kitchen and baths. We prefer vinyl plank throughout but decided to wait because our dog slides all over when running through the house. Really would have preferred to get it done prior to moving in. But on the positive side now I have time to thoroughly explore colors, brands and companies. I’m just the type who needs time before settling on what would work best. And I agree with one of the comments above, vinyl plank does help with the resale value if you care about that. Asked our realtor and he said that’s the single most important thing to upgrade.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:05 AM

I removed all carpet and tile and redid the flooring in June. I replaced carpet on two of the
Three bedrooms and ran the tile throughout all rooms. I find it extremely hard under my feet.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:06 AM

After 6 years of carpet in the bedroom I wish I had tile. I can no longer get matching tile. My carpet is hard to clean and already showing traffic pattern. Do the tile immediately.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:09 AM

Our home in Nebraska had wall to wall carpet except in the kitchen/bathroom. Yes it looked very nice but it had to be replaced every once in a while and vacumed all the time to keep it clean and looking good.
Our home here in Florida has all the same tile through the whole house, keeps it cooler sooo easy to clean. You can find beautiful area rugs to suit you. Since your home is empty and you can still get the matching tile do it now.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:15 AM
Default Jack Frost

Rip the old carpet out immediately and put in either nice hardwood, tile or laminate flooring. We ripped out our original carpeting within 2 years of buying our home. Carpet collects dirt and becomes worn. The other coverings are much, much easier to clean and they're comfortable to walk on...if you really think you need it, put a small area run where you step off the bed.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:24 AM

At our last house, we had carpet in bedrooms, tile in the large foyer/gallery and bathrooms and high-end hardwood in den, living room, dining & kitchen. Hardwood looked great with the tile as tile had a brown hue that complemented the hardwood. When the time comes, we're thinking of doing wood to replace in living/dining only & maybe 3rd bedroom which we use for a den. Like carpet in the bedrooms.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:39 AM

We took our carpet out and put in wood in the bedrooms! Wish we had wood where we have tile!
Closed Thread

Tags
tile, carpet, bedrooms, house, replace

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.