Independent Voters left out of voting in the Primary

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2016, 11:10 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,033 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Independent Voters left out of voting in the Primary

Did you know that today over 25% of the "registered" voters in Florida were unable to vote in the Primary Election today? Only party designated voters are allowed to vote in the Primary Elections in Florida.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemorkam View Post
Did you know that today over 25% of the "registered" voters in Florida were unable to vote in the Primary Election today? Only party designated voters are allowed to vote in the Primary Elections in Florida.
What's wrong with that? These are not national elections or even government events. They are elections that are run by each party to determine who their candidate is going to be. Why should anyone but party members be allowed to vote in them?

As far as I'm concerned it should be this way in every state but the rules are up to the party leaders in each state.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:16 AM

For what its worth, this was explained to us when we chose not to declare a party affiliation when we registered to vote. Personally I'm fine with it.
--
Bob C
Old 03-15-2016, 11:24 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I've been a registered independent since the 70s. California, like here, does not permit Independents to vote in primaries. My conscience, my choice. It beats nonstop phone calls from a party or individual who just irritates me.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-15-2016, 11:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
It would be inappropriate for someone who CHOOSES to not affiliate with the Republicans or Democrats to decide who the Reps. or Dems. put up for President.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Isn't it called the Republican Primary?
Old 03-15-2016, 11:56 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Nothing keeps you from voting Gop one time and Demo the next if you have a special choice candidate you want to vote for.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:58 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,033 Times in 1,210 Posts

Good Points All.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
And the problem is what? When and if they ever have an Independent Primary election then registered Independents can vote in that primary.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Also an independent, have no issue with not voting in the primary. Was the same situation in PA. Only downside I couldn't get a tootsie roll.....

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-15-2016, 02:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
This is not new news!!
Old 03-15-2016, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

In Florida, if a seat has no opposition outside of the party, then the primary is an open primary since it decides who the representative will be. I registered as a Republican in Jacksonville when I couldn't vote for the state senate seated vacated by Jim Kings death (the last true great republican in Florida politics). The Republican field had three candidates in the primary and to keep any Democrats or Independents from voting in the primary, the GOP ran two write in candidates for the general election in opposition to the Republican nominee. (some of you will say, do you have proof they deliberately did this. The answer is no but in nearly 40 years of voting in Duval County I have never seen a write in candidate before or since this election) The Republican Primary determined who was going to be my Senator and I was shut out of the process. Lesson learned and the next week I registered as a Republican.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:05 PM
Platinum member

Want to vote in the primary then join a party.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:12 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Those independents living in Marion County can vote for the sales tax increase.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:11 PM
Veteran member

Been that way for a long time in many States.
Closed Thread

Tags
voters, primary, vote, florida, today, election, party, left, designated, elections, allowed, independent, voting, 25%, unable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.