A New Multi-Modal Path Discussion Group

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2016, 11:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnuss View Post
I am not in favor of mandates, regulations, required classes, etc for golf cart users. To me the biggest safety issue is the extremely bright headlights, especially on the newer carts; they totally blind an oncoming cart driver. I would like to see an outreach program to cart owners and cart repair shops about dimming lights and keeping them properly aligned. If a cart has low and high beams, be considerate and use them. Maintain the alignment of cart headlights. I don't think we would need striping, reflectors, etc. if the headlight issue was resolved.
Haven't seen cart with low or high beams and most are made to shine straight ahead. how about the add on led lights. They blind everybody facing them? How about People driving around with fog light on when there no fog. how about trucks jacked up with lift kits and big tires and the headlights blinding everyone in front of them. I avoid driving at night if possible, give me migraine pretty quick! O don't forget the person driving with their high beams on. Reason I mentioned this really hard to see in the diamond lanes from cars or carts.

I need to get me one of them freight train lights mount is right in the center. That way it will sweep from side to side lighting up area like day light. As long as I can see that's all that counts

Now that I think about it lighting does need some regulation
Old 03-16-2016, 07:59 PM
Default Speeding Golf Carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I read the article as saying that a legislative change to Chapter 316 of the Florida Statues would need to be made in order to enforce speed limits on the MMPs. I did not read anything that would indicate that this is actually being pursued. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.
First of all, I'm not in favor of more committees whose members will just feel like they have to do "something." It's in there very nature.

I also read the article that mentioned looking into a change to Fl statutes to enforce speed limits on MMPs. What a great idea! With that change we can divert law enforcement from the streets where cars routinely travel 20-30 mph over the speed limit to the MMPs where we can snag grandpa racing along at 2-3 miles an hour over the limit in his golf cart. By god, I know I'll sleep better at night knowing no one is going to pass me on that path as I head to my golf game.

I also read that driving a golf cart capable of exceeding 20 mph is a "criminal" offense requiring a court appearance yet, after checking the FL motor vehicle statues, I found that automobile speeding up to 29 mph is a "civil" offense not requiring a court appearance. Have we lost our minds?
Old 03-16-2016, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Haven't seen cart with low or high beams and most are made to shine straight ahead. how about the add on led lights. They blind everybody facing them? How about People driving around with fog light on when there no fog. how about trucks jacked up with lift kits and big tires and the headlights blinding everyone in front of them. I avoid driving at night if possible, give me migraine pretty quick! O don't forget the person driving with their high beams on. Reason I mentioned this really hard to see in the diamond lanes from cars or carts.

I need to get me one of them freight train lights mount is right in the center. That way it will sweep from side to side lighting up area like day light. As long as I can see that's all that counts

Now that I think about it lighting does need some regulation
Finally, someone willing to stand up and admit they have a problem driving at night in their cart and have taken the steps to not drive at night. Thank You.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-16-2016, 08:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Golfer View Post
First of all, I'm not in favor of more committees whose members will just feel like they have to do "something." It's in there very nature.

I also read the article that mentioned looking into a change to Fl statutes to enforce speed limits on MMPs. What a great idea! With that change we can divert law enforcement from the streets where cars routinely travel 20-30 mph over the speed limit to the MMPs where we can snag grandpa racing along at 2-3 miles an hour over the limit in his golf cart. By god, I know I'll sleep better at night knowing no one is going to pass me on that path as I head to my golf game.

I also read that driving a golf cart capable of exceeding 20 mph is a "criminal" offense requiring a court appearance yet, after checking the FL motor vehicle statues, I found that automobile speeding up to 29 mph is a "civil" offense not requiring a court appearance. Have we lost our minds?
Don't think so....

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-16-2016, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Yes. They are so much more dangerous than a 22 mph golf cart.
The legal speed limit for a non-street legal cart is 19.8 mph not 22 so get your facts straight. And yes, they are dangerous because those are the ones that tailgate and pass unsafely.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
So any non street legal cart capable of going 25 mph is driven by a bad driver?

Wow.

(Edit for benefit of the doubt): Or do you mean if a driver is a good, safe driver, then a 25 mph cart driven by him/her is also safe? If so, please disregard the previous portion of this post. )
The legal speed limit for a non street legal cart is 19.8 mph. Anyone going faster than that has the potential of doing something stupid and dangerous. Is your cart legal? Just wondering.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
The legal speed limit for a non street legal cart is 19.8 mph. Anyone going faster than that has the potential of doing something stupid and dangerous. Is your cart legal? Just wondering.
And nobody who goes 19.8 mph or slower has the potential of doing something stupid and dangerous? I'm really not sure where to go with that...it's wrong on so many levels.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
The legal speed limit for a non-street legal cart is 19.8 mph not 22 so get your facts straight. And yes, they are dangerous because those are the ones that tailgate and pass unsafely.
19.8 is fast enough for a golf cart. Why the quest for faster speed? We're retire, slow down and enjoy the scenery.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:38 PM
Sage

And 70 MPH is fast enough for a car. Do you really want Big Brother telling you that your car can't be capable of going faster than 70?
Old 03-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Interested in where you came up with 19.8 mph. My recollection is the legal speed limit is "not to exceed 20 mph".
Old 03-17-2016, 07:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Personally, I have found 22-23 mph to be quite safe. Really no difference in 20 mph wrt handling. I have experienced 26 mph in a golf carts a couple of times, and at that speed, the golf cart felt unsafe because of handling characteristics. Compare that to 30 mph in a roundabout, which to me, feels unsafe. And 100 mph on anything but a track feels unsafe to me.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:45 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Interested in where you came up with 19.8 mph. My recollection is the legal speed limit is "not to exceed 20 mph".
I think some get that number confused on the setting when a gas cart governer begins kickdown and resets back to speed up.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Don't know exactly but read it somewhere. For arguments sake let's go with 20 mph. Everything else I said still applies.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Personally, I have found 22-23 mph to be quite safe. Really no difference in 20 mph wrt handling. I have experienced 26 mph in a golf carts a couple of times, and at that speed, the golf cart felt unsafe because of handling characteristics. Compare that to 30 mph in a roundabout, which to me, feels unsafe. And 100 mph on anything but a track feels unsafe to me.
The speed limit in a roundabout is 20 mph not 30. I think to go 30 mph you would need some kind of sports car so no wonder you feel that 30 is unsafe. Try 20 mph and you will feel safer.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I think some get that number confused on the setting when a gas cart governer begins kickdown and resets back to speed up.
You may be right.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, discussion, safety, feel, clinic, vha, users, group, multi-modal, path, older, attend, newer, driver, paths, plays, practice, pb102, start, drivers, bp101, pickle, ball, required

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.