New Roundabout Signs

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Veteran member

Who can read a sign going 50 mph? Or can't see over the stearing wheel?

Chuckinca please tell me you live here with your number of posts... So many people have "visited" here a few times at best and have 5 times as many posts as I do.....I only jump in when I feel it neccessary but others, who don't live here for some period of time each year, can't see the things that are changing....just sayin

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 02-09-2012, 05:50 AM
Default Single Lane Roundabouts the only answer.

Having lived in Europe for over four decades I have seen, during the last ten years, the popularity of roundabouts increase significantly, I suspect because it cuts down on energy costs associated with traffic lights, etc...
In Germany ( unlike in France where the multi-lane roundabouts are a nightmare) I have yet to see a multiple lane roundabout being built. They function very well following the rule that cars on the roundabout have right of way, those entering must yield, and the car exiting the roundabout must signal his exit. Functions very well! I recently drove the roundabouts in TV and can't believe what a disorganized mess it was. Why would anyone want an inner lane, serves no purpose that I can see except to confuse drivers entering and exiting. Maybe some creative re-working of the painted traffic lines in the roundabout could reduce the flow to single lane and eliminate the confusion and danger. Just my thoughts on the "every man for himself" situation we seem to be enduring now.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default Two lane roundabouts are the only answer

They really are simple to use and if the rules are followed work extremely well.

They work exactly the same as a traffic light. If you want to turn right at a light, you use the right hand lane. If you want to turn left at a light you use the left hand lane. If you want to go straight through you use either lane. And you always yield to someone already in the intersection. Roundabouts work exactly the same way. Those that can't follow those simple rules are probably a problem any where they drive.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
they really are simple to use and if the rules are followed work extremely well.

They work exactly the same as a traffic light. If you want to turn right at a light, you use the right hand lane. If you want to turn left at a light you use the left hand lane. If you want to go straight through you use either lane. And you always yield to someone already in the intersection. Roundabouts work exactly the same way. Those that can't follow those simple rules are probably a problem any where they drive.
yuuuuuup!!

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Not yielding to traffic and makin a right turn from the left lane is stupid!

Chuck. It may sound stupid, but that is how you are SUPPOSED to navigate the roundabouts. And Bogie was right. If you are going around the entire circle in the right lane, the guy to your left has the right to turn right.

ooooboy. No wonder we have problems with the directives in the circles.

Please. All newbies and oldies and golden oldies read the directives one more time. There will be a test. Can someone take a picture of those new signs and post it on here. I think they are great! And Bicyclists....o never mind.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
They really are simple to use and if the rules are followed work extremely well.

It couldn't be put any simpler than it's put here. And... as a bonus you don't have to wait for your lane to turn green!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

Quote:

At the risk of sounding totally uninformed, I need to ask when you might need to" make a left hand turn" at any roundabout and when might you be able to "go straight through" at any roundabout. Since both of these sound impossible, it would seem that the right hand lane is the only one to be in????
Old 02-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

These roundabouts are to small to use the way they were designed the only safe place is in the right lane.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Really, you should treat a roundabout like any other intersection, just with a circle in the middle. Don't over analyze it...

Don't look at the circle and you'll see it's very easy to navigate.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	roundabout.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	1809  
Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
These roundabouts are to small to use the way they were designed the only safe place is in the right lane.
IF you stay in the right lane all the way around you are in danger of having your left side of your car smacked by people directed to turn right in left lane. It is NOT safe. If you are going to the third outlet you should be in left lane where you can turn right. If you are going to the first or second outlet then the right hand lane is safe.

So in essence if you plan to make a left on the intersection. Get in the left hand lane where you will make a right to go left. Simple.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Really, you should treat a roundabout like any other intersection, just with a circle in the middle. Don't over analyze it...

Don't look at the circle and you'll see it's very easy to navigate.
bump

Note...there are red lines and blue lines. Study UP!!

Mike would you please repost your picture. It didn't come up in my post. Sorry.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
IF you stay in the right lane all the way around you are in danger of having your left side of your car smacked by people directed to turn right in left lane. It is NOT safe. If you are going to the third outlet you should be in left lane where you can turn right. If you are going to the first or second outlet then the right hand lane is safe.

So in essence if you plan to make a left on the intersection. Get in the left hand lane where you will make a right to go left. Simple.
Gracie-ask me if I"m still confused!!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy and al View Post
Gracie-ask me if I"m still confused!!
As a start to understanding.....please read this brochure.

Go to www.districtgov.org
Near the middle of the page is Sumter County Roundabout brochure.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Sage
Default No more 2 lane round a bouts

I know I'm a little confused. We only have 1, that's right, 1 round about in my town where I live now and it's one lane. (Thank God) In a round a bout, the idea is to exit somewhere and an exit is always to the right. (correct me if I'm wrong.) How can it be safe being in the left hand lane at anytime if you are going to exit right? The traffic is going so fast that your chance of making the lane change to exit right is daunting. You'd probably have to sit there almost stopped in the L lane to get into the R land due to traffic not letting you over. Yes, I'm one who doesn't live there yet but I get the picture. I think I'll put rubber bumpers on the side of my SUV before I get there! Perhaps what TV should do for future round a bouts is construct one lane. It may slow the flow of traffic (which is needed) but at least it would flow more smoothly. For what it's worth..........
Old 02-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I know I'm a little confused. We only have 1, that's right, 1 round about in my town where I live now and it's one lane. (Thank God) In a round a bout, the idea is to exit somewhere and an exit is always to the right. (correct me if I'm wrong.) How can it be safe being in the left hand lane at anytime if you are going to exit right? The traffic is going so fast that your chance of making the lane change to exit right is daunting. You'd probably have to sit there almost stopped in the L lane to get into the R land due to traffic not letting you over. Yes, I'm one who doesn't live there yet but I get the picture. I think I'll put rubber bumpers on the side of my SUV before I get there! Perhaps what TV should do for future round a bouts is construct one lane. It may slow the flow of traffic (which is needed) but at least it would flow more smoothly. For what it's worth..........
I don't understand how you could even write a post like this, if you looked at the previous posts [right above yours] with photos or followed Bogies link to the roundabout instructions. Neither of those (photos or instructions) say anything about turning RIGHT from the LEFT lane.

Sorry, not trying to be mean, but I don't get it ????
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.