Cart Driver who hit bicylist Cited

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts
Default Cart Driver who hit bicylist Cited

Reported in Daily Sun today that the cart driver who hit the bicycle rider near Ternberry and Buena Vista on the cart path was cited for careless driving.
The driver, from Oxford, told deputies he was under doctors orders not to operate a motor vehicle after receiving care for a brain injury. He said he didn't consider a golf cart a motor vehicle. According to the report he was wearing a headset and listening to music at the time of the collision.
The bicylist was listed in stable condition at an Orlando hospital.

I guess one never knows what is coming down the cart path towards you!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 AM
Gold member

Unbelieveable.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Beyond my comprehension.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Sage

Horrible for sure.

Reminds me of a story where a man was golfing as a "single". Asked the folks he was put with to tell him where his ball went as he was 'legally blind'. After the game was done he was observed putting his clubs in a car (not a cart) and drove off!!!!!!! THAT too is what we're up againest here!!!

Ever wonder why the fence is out on the multi-model path over by the hospice on 466?? It's on one of the curves.... Someone going too fast could have done it but that too is scarey!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Sage

Sheesh! Thanks for the update, Bogie - - -

Bill
Old 03-22-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Horrible for sure.

Reminds me of a story where a man was golfing as a "single". Asked the folks he was put with to tell him where his ball went as he was 'legally blind'. After the game was done he was observed putting his clubs in a car (not a cart) and drove off!!!!!!! THAT too is what we're up againest here!!!

Ever wonder why the fence is out on the multi-model path over by the hospice on 466?? It's on one of the curves.... Someone going too fast could have done it but that too is scarey!
There is much more of this than what you know. My better half is a local optician and has made mention that there are many patients driving themselves in to eye appointments who should not be driving anything,....cars or golf carts, so yes, this is exactly what you're up against every time you venture out. Be careful out there!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Sage

The driver is from Oxford? Who's cart was he driving?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Reported in Daily Sun today that the cart driver who hit the bicycle rider near Ternberry and Buena Vista on the cart path was cited for careless driving.
The driver, from Oxford, told deputies he was under doctors orders not to operate a motor vehicle after receiving care for a brain injury. He said he didn't consider a golf cart a motor vehicle. According to the report he was wearing a headset and listening to music at the time of the collision.

I just read this Bogey and I was gonna type the whole article. Your summary is much better. The man who was driving the golf cart is 47 and from Oxford? That isn't in The Villages. And the article also states that when he came back on the path and drove over the bicylist lying on the ground that he was "unaware of what he drove over". The cart had to be lifted off of the bicylist who is a villager and is 68 years old.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

OMG Realy????? This guy isn't playin with a Full deck North of his ears
Old 03-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

The Oxford address did raise a question in my mind too. But it could just as well have been somebody from Orlando just visiting. Then again, I don't think it would be too difficult to drive a golf cart from Oxford into the Villages.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Your Right

Quote:
The Oxford address did raise a question in my mind too. But it could just as well have been somebody from Orlando just visiting. Then again, I don't think it would be too difficult to drive a golf cart from Oxford into the Villages.
Isn't the family section N/O 466 in Oxford. Their GC trails are accesable to TV thru the tunnel system.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Isn't the family section N/O 466 in Oxford. Their GC trails are accesable to TV thru the tunnel system.
Parkwood is in Oxford, but I believe Buffalo Ridge is in The Villages. Buffalo Ridge can easily access the cart paths, but isn't Parkwood down the road a bit...making it just a tad less easy to get to the cart paths?

The accident was terrible and I do hope the person injured continues to improve.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Veteran member

Bison Valley is in Oxford,, does have cart access, and the Village of Parkwood use the sidewalks to drive down thru Bison Valley to use their cart access to The Villages...
Old 03-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryW View Post
Bison Valley is in Oxford,, does have cart access, and the Village of Parkwood use the sidewalks to drive down thru Bison Valley to use their cart access to The Villages...
Bison Valley,,,,,thank you, not Buffalo, my bad.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Sage

Also, the paper said the cart was an LSV, so, it might have been tagged for street legal, which would open it up to Parkwood, Lakeside Landings and some other adjacent neighborhoods.

Regardless, it was a awful set of circumstances.

I see lots of folks wearing headphones while driving. I can't imagine operating a car or cart and being totally tuned out to emergency vehicles and other roadside noises.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.