New survey shows only 4% of retirees living the dream.

Old 05-11-2024, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,004 Times in 2,500 Posts

Sometimes dream turns into nightmare?
Old 05-12-2024, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,771 Times in 1,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Sometimes dream turns into nightmare?
Well, that's life. Starts out alright. Then you have to go to school. Then you have to work for a living, raise a family, and deal with ever increasing pressures and age related issues. Finally you retire, but the years have taken their toll. Still, there is time (for some) to enjoy life a bit between the doctors visits and trying to adjust to the ever increasing pace of life with ever increasing costs, new tech, expanding populations, diminishing resources, all while getting older and more frail and expanding concerns about the ones you leave behind. You are faced with your mortality. Waking up in the morning is less a blessing then a surprise. And then you hear Peggy Lee singing, "Is that all there is?"
😏🤔🫣🫠🙃
Old 05-13-2024, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,523 Posts

If you can't retire at a comfortable or secure income level in America then it's not our country's fault. You just retire at a later age, period. History is full of failed persons that started over at a late age and then became successful.
Personally, I can't count how many different jobs/occupations that I have held, supported a family of six and put a couple of my kids through college, not having my own lower degree until after they obtained theirs. Of course, I had the support of a fantastic spouse that made the impossible, possible. I learned the hard way, to be careful with credit, sacrifice by driving old vehicles and eating cheaply. I also took jobs that I was NOT qualified for, but convinced those hiring me that I could work hard and become an asset. Many folks read a description of a job ad and think they don't or can't qualify. I took jobs that required college when my resume' stated that I did not have a degree (yet). I am not special. Many folks have done this, but today many do not have the confidence to attempt something that they fear they will fail. America is so full of opportunity that the only excuse for failure is a lack of motivation. How many successful millionaires/billionaires have failed multiple times before succeeding? The only/ONLY reason that I am not wealthy (as in rich) is that I was not willing to sacrifice more to get to the higher level. I am satisfied and comfortable living in The Villages at a middle income retirement level. In my opinion, it is at least 90% motivation and 10% ability.
"Living the Dream?" Never had much time to "dream" of my future. I just refused to stay down after being knocked down, many times. I never dreamed that I would be able to live in a nice home in some place like The Villages. Actually, I never dreamed of retirement.
Praise GOD! I have been blessed to live in the greatest country in the world.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
A lot of people are in the bottom tiers because they didn’t save for retirement. I know people that was making really good money while they were working but they spent everything they made and some even went into debt to compete with the Jone’s.
We are very comfortable because we saved and invested everything we could. Have any of you calculated what you make per hour while you are retired? You should. For the last 6 months, my total income from investments and social security, we made $130 an hour, 24 hours a day, while we were sleeping, playing golf, playing in the pool, etc..

This is called Passive Income, what can you make on your investments while not doing anything.
Yet you're living the same lifestyle as those of us making $10 an hour. Your heirs will appreciate your accumulating such wealth for them.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
If you can't retire at a comfortable or secure income level in America then it's not our country's fault. You just retire at a later age, period. History is full of failed persons that started over at a late age and then became successful.
Personally, I can't count how many different jobs/occupations that I have held, supported a family of six and put a couple of my kids through college, not having my own lower degree until after they obtained theirs. Of course, I had the support of a fantastic spouse that made the impossible, possible. I learned the hard way, to be careful with credit, sacrifice by driving old vehicles and eating cheaply. I also took jobs that I was NOT qualified for, but convinced those hiring me that I could work hard and become an asset. Many folks read a description of a job ad and think they don't or can't qualify. I took jobs that required college when my resume' stated that I did not have a degree (yet). I am not special. Many folks have done this, but today many do not have the confidence to attempt something that they fear they will fail. America is so full of opportunity that the only excuse for failure is a lack of motivation. How many successful millionaires/billionaires have failed multiple times before succeeding? The only/ONLY reason that I am not wealthy (as in rich) is that I was not willing to sacrifice more to get to the higher level. I am satisfied and comfortable living in The Villages at a middle income retirement level. In my opinion, it is at least 90% motivation and 10% ability.
"Living the Dream?" Never had much time to "dream" of my future. I just refused to stay down after being knocked down, many times. I never dreamed that I would be able to live in a nice home in some place like The Villages. Actually, I never dreamed of retirement.
Praise GOD! I have been blessed to live in the greatest country in the world.

Not everybody born with silver spoon in they’re mouth. Lots have NO opportunity or have no change of getting out of rut.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,480 Times in 2,557 Posts

So many people sit on their butts, blaming the world for their problems, when getting up off it is the simple solution.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:46 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,661 Times in 1,776 Posts

Quote:
Not everybody born with silver spoon in they’re mouth. Lots have NO opportunity or have no change of getting out of rut.
No silver spoon for me. I started from scratch as have most of us. I agree with Charlie Munger's observation and recommendation. Obtaining the first $100K is difficult and making sacrifices is inevitably necessary. At that point one then has some capital to invest and compound.

Many if not most people are simply unwilling to work hard and make enough sacrifices when starting out to accumulate adequate working capital. That is why they end up economically stressed later in life. Some sadly suffer misfortune through no fault of their own.

"Former Berkshire Hathaway co-chairman Charlie Munger, who passed away in November 2023, once told his shareholders that the secret to building wealth is amassing that first $100,000.

“I don’t care what you have to do,” he said. “If it means walking everywhere and not eating anything that wasn’t purchased with a coupon, find a way to get your hands on $100,000.”"

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/charlie-munger-said-you-must-save-$100k-to-build-wealth:-10-tips-to-do-so#

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-15-2024, 08:52 AM

So, the question is, why are they not living a comfortable lifestyle in retirement?
Poor planning is the answer for most. Sure, there could be other things that can derail your retirement plan but for the vast majority it will be that they did not enter retirement debt free.
Hard to imagine folks living in retirement with a mortgage or car payments or other bills that are not the normal day to day living expenses.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:14 AM

Quote:
The vast majority of today's millionaires (like 85 to 90 percent) are self made. It only unsuccessful people that blame others for their lot.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,523 Posts

Quote:
I wasn't "born with a silver spoon in...." At one period of time in my life (supporting a wife and four children) I worked THREE jobs and was lucky to see home for a couple hours a day between those jobs. Maybe there is a very small minority of folks that "have no chance of getting out of a rut" but most of it is really just a matter of motivation, rather than ability. I've known guys that had little or no education that have made a good living. I know one friend that never made it past 7th grade and is doing better than me. Some folks get so used to gov. handouts that they are comfortable living off the "system" rather than enjoying the pride of making it on their own.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,767 Posts

Depends on your definition of “living the dream”. Mine is being happy. Yep, I’m living the dream.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,970 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
So, the question is, why are they not living a comfortable lifestyle in retirement?
Poor planning is the answer for most. Sure, there could be other things that can derail your retirement plan but for the vast majority it will be that they did not enter retirement debt free.
Hard to imagine folks living in retirement with a mortgage or car payments or other bills that are not the normal day to day living expenses.
you would be surprised how many retired people have mortgages including myself , I’ve owned a lot of homes including 6 in the villages ,all mortgaged , I do pay cash for my cars though
Old 05-17-2024, 08:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
I wasn't "born with a silver spoon in...." At one period of time in my life (supporting a wife and four children) I worked THREE jobs and was lucky to see home for a couple hours a day between those jobs. Maybe there is a very small minority of folks that "have no chance of getting out of a rut" but most of it is really just a matter of motivation, rather than ability. I've known guys that had little or no education that have made a good living. I know one friend that never made it past 7th grade and is doing better than me. Some folks get so used to gov. handouts that they are comfortable living off the "system" rather than enjoying the pride of making it on their own.
////

Last edited by Topspinmo; 05-17-2024 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
No silver spoon for me. I started from scratch as have most of us. I agree with Charlie Munger's observation and recommendation. Obtaining the first $100K is difficult and making sacrifices is inevitably necessary. At that point one then has some capital to invest and compound.

Many if not most people are simply unwilling to work hard and make enough sacrifices when starting out to accumulate adequate working capital. That is why they end up economically stressed later in life. Some sadly suffer misfortune through no fault of their own.

"Former Berkshire Hathaway co-chairman Charlie Munger, who passed away in November 2023, once told his shareholders that the secret to building wealth is amassing that first $100,000.

“I don’t care what you have to do,” he said. “If it means walking everywhere and not eating anything that wasn’t purchased with a coupon, find a way to get your hands on $100,000.”"

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/charlie-munger-said-you-must-save-$100k-to-build-wealth:-10-tips-to-do-so#
Just cause you got 100K plus don’t mean somebody not going to steal it? Most have inside information when trading stocks. Several examples high levels that set on committees.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,771 Times in 1,545 Posts

😃 Living the dream over here! More Kool Aid, anyone? 😎

Tags
living, survey, retirees, shows, dream

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.