New Troll Reporting Deed Violations in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2023, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,319 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
There should be a way to get a Deed Compliance inspection prior to purchase to certify that there are no external violations or a grandfathering of any violations that were present.

I have no idea if my shingles are the right color or if my paint is the right hue or if that shrub in my front yard was approved. All were there when I purchased the house. As much time as I've spent learning how this place works, I don't know where I would go today to learn if my home is completely in compliance. If the answer is Community Standards/Deed Compliance, if that is the office that can determine if my home has a violation, then there should be a way to get a certificated from them stating as much.
How about if you buy your house thru a Villages "sales agent" that they are responsible for identifying any infraction which exist at time of sale. A certificate of compliance should be issued by the ARC as part of the closing process. Include resolution in the usual 1% inspection correction clause.
Old 04-21-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
You had a landscape violation - you were wrong. If you feel violated, you can always move. The fewer Karens and Kens we have here, the better
So the name Ken is the counterpart to Karen? Hadn’t heard that. Not sure how this “Karen” thing started anyway. It’s such a nice name and there are plenty of lovely Karen’s around so why disparage the name?
Old 04-21-2023, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
You are not new to TV. No ifs ands or buts work at the meetings. 2005 is no defense !!! I don't like it either but you need a two front battle. The first one you already lost. The second one is up to you to rally the troops to amend the covenants.
aside from TV strongarm approach, you're acctually incorrect. While they may pay/influence/ whatever the courts around here, the reality is that none of this would stand in a federal court. IF those plants have been there since 2005 that is actually a defense, TV can not by pass (as in allow) an infraction and then call it back. That qualifies as selective enforcement, and all Florida courts (not controlled by TV) will side with the home owner for this. Once selective enforcement has been determined - all the "rules" are void.

There is a process to rectify the selective enforcement, but I don't see that mentioned here either. Personally I would have told the person to stick it and lawyer up. As a former HOA president our atty was both local and federal, learned a lot, just waiting to use it (yes I like a good fight)
Old 04-21-2023, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,640 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele201 View Post
So the name Ken is the counterpart to Karen? Hadn’t heard that. Not sure how this “Karen” thing started anyway. It’s such a nice name and there are plenty of lovely Karen’s around so why disparage the name?
From Live it’s Saturday Night
Old 04-21-2023, 07:02 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,089 Times in 547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Ours was one of 25, so far, submitted by the same individual. All anonymous via email, (the real cowards way). From Lady Lake to Fenny.
Seriously, the complainer is clearly mentally ill, it takes a lot of research to know which rules apply to which village. Lady Lake to Fenny? This is so out of hand, and how are flowers a problem anyway? I'm sorry you had to pull them up, it's ridiculous, and I'm sorry for some of the responses you have gotten.... TV is no longer the friendliest anything.
Old 04-21-2023, 07:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,228 Times in 774 Posts

Rules are here for a reason, if everybody did their own thing, this place wouldn't be what it is.... and that's what we all came here for.
Old 04-21-2023, 07:20 AM
Thanked 1,146 Times in 252 Posts

What is really disgusting is that TV makes these deed restrictions but then does no policing of properties themselves and expects the residents who pay their salaries to rat on our neighbors before they will do anything. I do not see why Community Watch personnel when cruising the neighborhoods could not jot down the addresses of violations they see and forward the info to the Community Standards dept. It might cut down on their hand waving time but I don't see it as a huge imposition to Community Watch. This "Neighbor vs. Neighbor" policy is really unbelievable in a community whose catchphrase is "Florida's Friendliest Hometown"!
Old 04-21-2023, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,075 Times in 1,775 Posts

Quote:
There should be a way to get a Deed Compliance inspection prior to purchase to certify that there are no external violations or a grandfathering of any violations that were present.

I have no idea if my shingles are the right color or if my paint is the right hue or if that shrub in my front yard was approved. All were there when I purchased the house. As much time as I've spent learning how this place works, I don't know where I would go today to learn if my home is completely in compliance. If the answer is Community Standards/Deed Compliance, if that is the office that can determine if my home has a violation, then there should be a way to get a certificated from them stating as much.
There is, get a home inspector like D’Angelo before you sign the final contract. You will know exactly what you’re getting.
Old 04-21-2023, 07:27 AM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV
Default Landscape Commissars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Representative from Community Standards advised us today we had a landscape violation. Flowers planted within the 13’ street right-a-way. Regardless that flowers have been there since 2005
Ours was one of 25, so far, submitted by the same individual. All anonymous via email, (the real cowards way). From Lady Lake to Fenny.

The flowers were removed before the Rep. had finished talking to a neighbor across the street….who also had a violation.
CDD 2 agreed last week to ignore anonymous "complaints." If a violation is serious enough to warrant a complaint, have the stones to identify yourself. Busy bodies need not apply.
Old 04-21-2023, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
There really ought to be rule that you can only file a complaint for the Unit (neighborhood) where you live. What someone has in their yard up near Lake Sumter Landing is of no concern to me. My property is of no concern to anyone but my neighbors who have to look at it.

There are enough activities in the Villages as it is. We don't need to add trolling for compliance issues.
Agreed. And, maybe only so many a year. Or, no action is taken unless there are two complaints about the same thing. I agree that we should all follow the rules, but this would help reduce the trolls that report because they don't have a life - and save the district from having to investigate the most petty complaints.
Old 04-21-2023, 07:35 AM

Silly question on my part, but I do not know the answer. How hard is it to have a group change the deed restrictions on flowers from 13 feet to 8 feet? Is that unrealistic?
Old 04-21-2023, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,941 Times in 930 Posts

current anonymous trolls are trying to beat the clock when anonymous complaints are not longer allowed, and then they will have to go find some other way of feeling superior or in charge of rules
Old 04-21-2023, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,106 Times in 4,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel200 View Post
Silly question on my part, but I do not know the answer. How hard is it to have a group change the deed restrictions on flowers from 13 feet to 8 feet? Is that unrealistic?
Good question. I believe the 13 feet is for utility easements---storm drains, water mains, power lines and sewers are all along the side of the street and may at some time have to be dug up for repairs, which is why they don't want anything a homeowner places there in their way. Why specifically 13 feet? I don't know, but perhaps community standards does.

Of course, in this case, it was just flowers. I'm sure there is lawn there, so the difference is marginal at best. I wonder if the troll brought a tape measure and stepped on his property. If I catch someone doing that at my house, I'll make a citizen's arrest for trespassing and wait for the police to come.
Old 04-21-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
The people "taking advantage" are the folks who ignore the Restrictions they signed up for, when they bought their homes.

What you *think* was intended, isn't relevant, what's in black & white on your contract is what it is.

Play by the rules or move. Simple.
Here's hoping you get a ticket every single time you are 1 mph over the speed limit, don't have your windshield wipers on the second it rains, or don't come to a complete stop in your golf cart at every stop sign. Cheers!
Old 04-21-2023, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,535 Times in 2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
There is, get a home inspector like D’Angelo before you sign the final contract. You will know exactly what you’re getting.
There are home inspectors (D'Angelo) that will check for violations of Villages Deed Restrictions? Given the number of violations we are hearing about that were present when the home was last sold, checking on those is not typically part of a home inspection.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
flowers, violation, individual, submitted, anonymous

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.