New Verandas - prices from the $240s

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2018, 05:57 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Default New Verandas - prices from the $240s

While living in a Holley, I originally fell in love with the Bridgeport design. The Bridgeport is now called a Livingston in the new Verandas style of home. The prices for these new homes seem to be listed around 10% less than a traditional new Bridgeport. The floor plan is the same but with fewer tile areas and less expensive counter tops. The outside area as advertised is minimal.The Verandas offer less yard and frills for a lower price point. Their price pressure on the sale of pre-owned homes of the same design may be a challenge to overcome.

We who have been through the fixing up of a new home understand the value difference. As the spread between new and resale becomes even larger, it’s more difficult to make people understand the reasons.

This is not to chastise the Developer in anyway as they are free to do as they please. It’s a smart move by then as they say the Verandas have been requested. It’s another lower priced new home that may increase their sales. Good for them.

Yet, it would seem to have somewhat a negative effect on home resale pricing. The redeeming effect might be more people interested in moving to the Villages so more potential buyers for both old and new. That’s all of my ramblings as I am looking at a new Bridgeport Veranda overlooking a retention pond at a price far less than up north. I don’t know why I do this because my wife says we well will never again move.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:04 PM
Veteran member

Just to add to your post. Most Courtyard Villas have concrete wall. The Verandas have Vinyl Fencing and as you point out less space.

My opinion the existing Courtyard Villas will remain to be a very popular choice.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:29 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

The new Veranda builds do offer a larger home design than Villas, more living space on a smaller lot with fence. It’s another lower price point for the same design of homes usually found on a larger plot of land. Again, they are trying many new concepts down south.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

There are two words that drive many to the courtyard villas and will drive them to the Veranda homes now - Pets & Privacy.

We and several others I know with courtyard villas have pets and a dog door that allow our furry family members to go as they please. A huge help for a busy day and 2 AM outings are a thing of the past.

How many out there really love the kissing lanais that are prevalent throughout The Villages?

This appears to be the 4th stab at conventional homes with fenced yards (the previous being Nash Loop and 2 sections in the Fruitland Park developments). One has to give the developer credit where it is due, they do listen to their customers on what they want, this is just another example of this. It isn't for everyone but it does fill a market segment that is needed.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:49 AM

It seems that with a high inventory of new houses that someone purchasing a new home in The Villages should pay less than the asking price. For example, if the asking is $300,000, would an offer of $270,000 be appropriate? What is your experience?

Especially interested in recent experiences and the village of Fenney.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2018, 06:00 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

The Villages never negotiates on the price of a new home. The price is the price. They do reduce prices on some homes. There are no changes in what is offered and no offers on new homes. What you see is what you get and what you pay.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
While living in a Holley, I originally fell in love with the Bridgeport design. The Bridgeport is now called a Livingston in the new Verandas style of home. The prices for these new homes seem to be listed around 10% less than a traditional new Bridgeport. The floor plan is the same but with fewer tile areas and less expensive counter tops. The outside area as advertised is minimal.The Verandas offer less yard and frills for a lower price point. Their price pressure on the sale of pre-owned homes of the same design may be a challenge to overcome.

We who have been through the fixing up of a new home understand the value difference. As the spread between new and resale becomes even larger, it’s more difficult to make people understand the reasons.

This is not to chastise the Developer in anyway as they are free to do as they please. It’s a smart move by then as they say the Verandas have been requested. It’s another lower priced new home that may increase their sales. Good for them.

Yet, it would seem to have somewhat a negative effect on home resale pricing. The redeeming effect might be more people interested in moving to the Villages so more potential buyers for both old and new. That’s all of my ramblings as I am looking at a new Bridgeport Veranda overlooking a retention pond at a price far less than up north. I don’t know why I do this because my wife says we well will never again move.
I find only one Bridgeport for sale today on thevillages.com. It is listed at $529,000

Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale
Old 05-25-2018, 07:48 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I find only one Bridgeport for sale today on thevillages.com. It is listed at $529,000

Your are correct! Of the preowned houses listed on the Villages homefinder, only one Bridgeport, one Holly and no Boxwoods for sale. I have noticed a few others being sole by other agents. I guess many like this design of houses as much as we do so not many preowned on the market.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:23 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:

This home is a beauty!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-25-2018, 08:30 AM

We bought, and recently moved into one of the Garden Verandas. Ours happens to be on a view site, as well, but is called a Hillsdale which is the same floor plan as the Mossy Oak (3/3) with one of the windows on the side of the house "deleted". Our home wasn't stripped down at all, and best I can tell, most of the homes still for sale on our street are significantly upgraded. Solid surface counters, tile or non-carpet everywhere but bedrooms, nicer cabinets and fixtures. Not to say there may not be some verandas that are more basic, but from the ones we looked at in person and online, they appeared to be just the opposite.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:58 AM
Default Comp

Quote:

Please advise the price point for a similar home less the upgrades and view, such as same basic floor plan, new in the Fenny area? Thank you
Old 05-25-2018, 09:19 AM
Gold member

Ther is a Bridgeport in fenny we have been looking at for $366. Backs to the road....nice house all white inside with tile floors.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post

These arguments seem to keep coming up here, and the answers are always sort of the same. First, new homes always seem to be a bit less than the used ones. they were in 2013 when we bought (we bought a new one). They were in 2017 when we bought a FSBO used home too. In that case though, I could not get a place in Fernandina that was new, and I got a great deal and yes, the landscaping was done and a few other things. However, the main determinant of price in TV seems to be the location and what it backs on to. You pay 200,000 or so for a view vs a kissing Lanai. You pay a lot to be right next to a town square too. Reality these days is that if you don't want to be in Fenney or way up north, you have to buy resale. Period. If you have been watching resales, you know the prices are WAY up. I would say the house I bought in 2013 is worth at least 20% more today.

Second, the value of the upgrades. The value of the upgrades is in the eye of the beholder. If the place is decorated like I like it, it has value. A lot of the homes I see online are NOT and I see a big bill to redo stuff. Also, not everyone LIKES granite countertops and hardwood floors. To be honest, I am not a big fan of Granite, I have had them and prefer the hi res laminate. When Granite goes out of style in 10 years (and it will), you might regret paying 10,000 for the granite countertops you know (don't believe me? Remember Harvest gold and Avacado green appliances?, Gold Fixtures?). Granite scratches to and costs a fortune. An acrylic enclosed Lanai? Nope. That wallpaper the last owner thought was cute? Really? I think you get my point.

Last, the Verandas are for people who love privacy or have pets. That is maybe 30% of people. My two rentals which are designers and have kissing Lanais are rented almost year round no problem, and we don't allow pets.

Last thing, the reason there are not many resales on Bridgeports is they did not build as many to begin with, they are not that popular of a floorplan compare with Begonias, Lantanas, Gardenias, Jasmines, etc.

Ed
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 05-25-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Second, the value of the upgrades. The value of the upgrades is in the eye of the beholder. If the place is decorated like I like it, it has value. A lot of the homes I see online are NOT and I see a big bill to redo stuff. Also, not everyone LIKES granite countertops and hardwood floors.
Agree with these points. Pre-owned homes can carry a lot of value to a buyer, but only if the upgrades are to their tastes. Otherwise, it feels like you are buying something and then will just throw it away and pay even more for what you do want. We didn't really care about granite, specifically, but wanted solid surface - wound up with quartz. Many do like the hardwood floors, we specifically did not want hardwood or carpet (except in bedrooms), so we have tile. We looked into several pre-owned homes that were beautiful homes in great locations. They were priced well for the upgrades they had. But most had upgrades we didn't want. We looked at least 3 that we would have made offers on if they had had tile instead of hardwood, but I didn't want to pay for their hardwood floor upgrade and then pay again to tear it out and put tile in.

I disagree, however, on the granite. Granite and solid surface counters have been in demand for a while now. Much longer than the harvest gold and ugly greens of the past were. And usually things go out of style because of the next great thing that comes out. So far, I haven't seen that next great thing in countertops. For a long time, stainless steel appliances were king. They are still desirable. But now they have the fingerprint proof stainless look and even the black stainless stuff, etc. and some are going to that. Time will tell, but people want what they want NOW.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post

Last thing, the reason there are not many resales on Bridgeports is they did not build as many to begin with, they are not that popular of a floorplan compare with Begonias, Lantanas, Gardenias, Jasmines, etc.

Ed
My biggest objections to the Bridgeport floor plan are:

1) You have a view of the master bedroom while standing at the sink in the kitchen. Honestly, I don't want to look at my bed as I'm washing pots and pans. I spend quite a bit of time at the kitchen sink during the day.

2) The kitchen is quite large with a beautiful island BUT, that does not make up for the fact that the dining room is large enough only for a table. The table is also locked into the space so it can not be expanded with table leaves. I have a China cabinet and a server that I had to fit in my TV home.

Tags
home, verandas, bridgeport, it’s, price

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.