New villas with carports

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2020, 07:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woderfulwendy1 View Post
Went to chitty chatty yesterday, could not find any homes with carports. What street were they on? Thanks
Before you reach the postal station, turn right on Akin, which goes along the lake.

Then turn left on Ellie, which I guess will be the main street into the new Ellie Villas.

Then turn right on Greg and look at the homes along Carmen. Some homes have garages, some have carports.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
I can tell you with 100% certainty that the number of homes with carports is ZERO.
You are wrong.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Goldwingnut could not find the carport home but at least posted plans of a home that may have solved the mystery. Now that directions have been posted one would hope a photo is forthcoming.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,590 Times in 568 Posts

A pic would solve problems
Old 04-22-2020, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Barn yard construction..Cheap Cheap Cheap
Old 04-22-2020, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Before you reach the postal station, turn right on Akin, which goes along the lake.

Then turn left on Ellie, which I guess will be the main street into the new Ellie Villas.

Then turn right on Greg and look at the homes along Carmen. Some homes have garages, some have carports.
Good call! Found them. These don't have the driveways yet, however others on the street do.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	BAA8CEF8-2E3C-408C-8D18-5EB5A6652002.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	83796   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	04B280C1-EC24-4BCB-8A91-60BC9962B92F.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	83797  

Last edited by photo1902; 04-22-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
I just spent an hour over at Chitty Chatty this morning filming and driving every street and cul de sac, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the number of homes with carports is ZERO. The floor plan is called an Emerald and it has a semi-detached golf cart garage with a lanai between it and the house. Yes, when looked at it from the side while it's under construction it might look like a carport, but it's not.
Thank you for the information. This model looks like and expanded Colony Villa. We owned one of these villas when we were seasonal. The kitchen has been redesigned which looks very nice. Having a golf cart garage is wonderful. We never owned a golf cart when we owned the Colony villa but I can see how tight it would have been with a golf cart in the garage.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
You are wrong.
He sure is
Old 04-22-2020, 02:30 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,530 Times in 715 Posts

Perhaps only half wrong, there are garages on these new floor plans, only big enough for a golf cart but a garage none the less. These "carports" are not what one typically thinks of as a carport and are under the full roof structure of the house, just like the front and rear lanais of other homes.

A final thought on this is that the developer knows their market and their customers and what they are looking for in a house. They obviously feel there is a market for such a house design. They've proven this time and again. For a rental unit these two new floor plans look to be ideal.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0344.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	83806  
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 04-22-2020, 02:38 PM
Sage

Good grief. It’s a friggjng carport It’s ok to be wrong
Old 04-22-2020, 03:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Personally I wouldn't buy one of these houses. I would imaging that it costs less to build this type of house and if the intended purpose is to build homes that people with smaller budgets can comfortably afford then I can live with it. If the intended purpose is to build rental units for investors I'm totally against it. We live in a patio villa neighborhood of 50 houses. A neighbor who knows what is going on in our area has stated that there are 22 rental houses here. After about 10 months living here I was seeing different people all the time. Now I know why. With that high of a rental ratio you loose that neighborhood feeling, too many people are transient and have no feelings towards their neighbors. I also realize that there standards that are supposedly enforced as far as maintenance of the home exterior and yard but, I think I can identify the rentals by the appearance of the yards. Most of the permanent residents have removed that nasty looking ground cover used in new homes with mulch, decorative rock or bricks, palms, flowers and other enhancements. Landlords only worry about the minimum standards they must abide by and view any enhancements as an unnecessary expense. I'm not saying the rental houses look trashy, they just don't show the pride of a permanent homeowner.
Maybe I'm a bit too intense in my view but in our former neighborhood, a nice neighborhood, the house next to us became a rental after the original owner defaulted on the loan. A real estate investment company bought the house and we went through some of the nicest and nastiest renters you can imagine. At times the grass got knee high with the nastiest renters but even with the good renters the yard never progressed beyond grass. No shrubbery, flowers or decorative works. There needs to be codes or whatever established that restrict the percentage of rentals vs owner occupied. 22 our of 50 is too big of a percentage. I prefer no rentals.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Good call! Found them. These don't have the driveways yet, however others on the street do.
Photo, thanks a lot for the pictures.

I hope you didn't get too many punctures in your tires when driving through the areas under construction.

You know, the idea of a carport is kind of appealing. Patio villas, like the one we rented four years ago, did not have a nice lanai for sitting. With a carport, I can imagine people will enjoy sitting in the shade, watching people walk by, and conversing with them. Just like the 1950's before the TV generation.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,590 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Personally I wouldn't buy one of these houses. I would imaging that it costs less to build this type of house and if the intended purpose is to build homes that people with smaller budgets can comfortably afford then I can live with it. If the intended purpose is to build rental units for investors I'm totally against it. We live in a patio villa neighborhood of 50 houses. A neighbor who knows what is going on in our area has stated that there are 22 rental houses here. After about 10 months living here I was seeing different people all the time. Now I know why. With that high of a rental ratio you loose that neighborhood feeling, too many people are transient and have no feelings towards their neighbors. I also realize that there standards that are supposedly enforced as far as maintenance of the home exterior and yard but, I think I can identify the rentals by the appearance of the yards. Most of the permanent residents have removed that nasty looking ground cover used in new homes with mulch, decorative rock or bricks, palms, flowers and other enhancements. Landlords only worry about the minimum standards they must abide by and view any enhancements as an unnecessary expense. I'm not saying the rental houses look trashy, they just don't show the pride of a permanent homeowner.
Maybe I'm a bit too intense in my view but in our former neighborhood, a nice neighborhood, the house next to us became a rental after the original owner defaulted on the loan. A real estate investment company bought the house and we went through some of the nicest and nastiest renters you can imagine. At times the grass got knee high with the nastiest renters but even with the good renters the yard never progressed beyond grass. No shrubbery, flowers or decorative works. There needs to be codes or whatever established that restrict the percentage of rentals vs owner occupied. 22 our of 50 is too big of a percentage. I prefer no rentals.
I am surprised that you think because someone doesn’t landscape their home the way you think, it’s a rental, and owner doesn’t care. If you read the thread on helpful hints for new owners. One is don’t make immediate changes to interior and landscaping until you have lived there awhile. One reason you will change your mind more than once about what should you invest in, and now you really love what the neighbor did. Plus there are many here who just can’t keep up with extensive weeding.

We have owned more than one home, and waited more than a year before we changed things, so by your standards we are lumped into the we don’t give a crap. Since you don’t pay my mortgage, you don’t get a vote on if I plant flowers
Old 04-22-2020, 06:11 PM
Veteran member

I think they look nice. I prefer the floor plan for the tan house with the front door in front. Having to walk through the carport area to get to the entrance is less desirable, imo.

I'm curious what kind of double, rolling, or sliding doors will be on the sheds. Why would they need such a large opening?

Tangent: Our manufactured home has a front entrance, complete with a walkway from the street. Not one person in our 8+ years of living here has used it -- for some reason everyone goes to the side door under the carport, which leads to the kitchen.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:18 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
I am surprised that you think because someone doesn’t landscape their home the way you think, it’s a rental, and owner doesn’t care. If you read the thread on helpful hints for new owners. One is don’t make immediate changes to interior and landscaping until you have lived there awhile. One reason you will change your mind more than once about what should you invest in, and now you really love what the neighbor did. Plus there are many here who just can’t keep up with extensive weeding.

We have owned more than one home, and waited more than a year before we changed things, so by your standards we are lumped into the we don’t give a crap. Since you don’t pay my mortgage, you don’t get a vote on if I plant flowers
The homes in my neighborhood are 17 months old, not 17 days. You need 17 months to make a decision on what to do to your yard? The pine ground cover has dried up and much of it has blown away leaving exposed dirt. The ground cover when it is that old looks like dried up dead weeds, very appealing. This isn't the first or even the 5th house we have owned so I think we've done that rodeo already and don't really need your advice. If people can't keep up with weeding maybe they need to live in an apartment, a condo or hire someone to do the weeding. Poor excuse for having a weedy yard. I'll admit I don't pay your mortgage but I do have a say in how your yard looks if it degrades the appearance of the neighborhood and affects the value of my property. We put up with that at our last home and didn't have a community standards office to correct the problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
mmp, bridge, houses, interesting, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.