New vs established

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2020, 08:41 AM
Default New vs established

What is the difference in living in a new area of TV than in a already established one?
Old 05-11-2020, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Established one has shopping and other immenities, new build might have to wait some time
Old 05-11-2020, 08:59 AM
Sage

The established ones are older.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Lots of differences, but by far the biggest difference is Championship golf. If a variety of easily accessible Championship golf is important to you, go North. If walking trails are your thing, and you don’t care much about golf, you might prefer the new southern Villages.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,930 Posts

The established homes are closer to the 441/27 corridor which has popular restaurants and shopping. We live between 466 and 466A, which IMHO, is the best place to be for the 441/27 corridor of retail and restaurants. 466 also has a great corridor of restaurants too. I prefer to be closer to the many retail stores and restaurants but others can do without the proximity to retail and restaurants. The 441/27 corridor is also dotted with plenty of medical facilities.

You have to decide what is important to you. The new areas in the Southern Villages have lots to offer, just not the same as the established areas.

Retail stores in the 441/27 corridor include:
Home Depot
Bed Bath and Beyond
Kohl's
Best Buy
Pet Smart
Target
Pier One
Michael's
Jo Ann's
Staples
Belk
Bealls
Lowes
Marshalls/HomeGoods
Ace Hardware
at least 2 Car Washes
and many more

Restaurants in the 441/27 corridor include:
Applebees
Bamboo Bistro
Carrabbas
Texas Roadhouse
Miller's Ale House
Chilis
and many more

The 466 corridor of restaurants include:
Bone Fish Grill
Red Lobster
Olive Garden
and many more

Last edited by coffeebean; 05-11-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:51 AM
Veteran member

The new builds are all in the furthest south areas of the Villages. If you are interested in the entertainment offered at The Savannah Center or The Sharon Morse theater, it's a solid 30 minutes drive by car. Since most of those performances are in the evening, some people might not be comfortable driving that far in the dark after a show. For some people that won't be a big deal. We that a 30 minute drive is longer than it used to be.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:33 AM

All new builds are across 44 and the turnpike from the rest of the villages. Golf cart bridges are up, but the paths aren't there yet so getting to the rest of TV by cart isn't possible yet. Dining, groceries, doctors, dentists, etc mean at least 15 minutes each way in a car.

Established homes have more of these things nearby, and they are golf cart accessible. The further north you buy, the denser the infrastructure. Older homes frequently have the bond paid off, and can have improvements made by the previous owner. Landscaping is more mature to the north. For entertainment, The Studio at Tierra del Sol, Sharon Morse Performing Arts Center and The Savannah Center are all north of 466.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:41 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

One that was big for me was mature landscaping and beautiful live oaks. If you have a western facing lanai and no shade tree around, you won't be using that lanai in the afternoon.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:47 AM
Gold member

Many, but not all, established home have a paid Bond. Big Savings.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 05-11-2020, 10:56 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpygreens View Post
All new builds are across 44 and the turnpike from the rest of the villages. Golf cart bridges are up, but the paths aren't there yet so getting to the rest of TV by cart isn't possible yet. Dining, groceries, doctors, dentists, etc mean at least 15 minutes each way in a car.

Established homes have more of these things nearby, and they are golf cart accessible. The further north you buy, the denser the infrastructure. Older homes frequently have the bond paid off, and can have improvements made by the previous owner. Landscaping is more mature to the north. For entertainment, The Studio at Tierra del Sol, Sharon Morse Performing Arts Center and The Savannah Center are all north of 466.
Not entirely true. New builds are on both sides of the turnpike, Paddock Square, dining, groceries, doctors, dentists, etc. are 10 minutes or less from any of the villages south of 44 as is the new 24 hour emergency room and the new Brownwood Health Center, in addition it's only 15 minutes from the UF Leesburg Hospital. Some older homes have the bond paid off but it is reflected in higher asking prices, they also will be nearer to the time when you will need a new HVAC system or roof and you get no warranty as on a newly built home. The new builds have more up to date windows, insulation, electrical, smart features, etc. and most of all the new homes cost less than the used ones when comparing apples to apples. Big box shopping is 20 minutes away and the Savannah Center, etc. are a good 30 minutes if you're into that. All in all it boils down to what you do and what you like, have to look at them all. We came down 3 years ago to look at used homes which we did, but when we were shown Fenney, it was a done deal buying a new spec home on the spot. Almost everyone south of 44 likes it here but there are as in all areas a handful that are not happy. Most of the complaints you see on here about the southern villages for some reason are from people that do not live down here, not all, but most. Take your time and enjoy looking at as much as you can.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I guess who haven't been here. You should try a Lifestyle Visit. The info on the The Villages website, it's $99 a night and you'll stay in a courtyard villa with a golf cart near Brownwood Square. You could fill a book between the differences.

I live in a nine year old CYV that I bought new, so it's fairly established. We are 3-1/2 miles from LSL (Lake Sumter Landing) and 4 miles from Brownwood and 20 minutes from SS (Spanish Springs). If you like live entertainment at the squares, the movie theaters, restaurants, MVP at Brownwood or at SS (Spanish Springs), then right now those areas are not near the new areas and and cannot reached by your own golf cart until the bridges are finished.

The 12 championship golf courses, 10 of which are 27 hole layouts are in the established areas only, I can reach 8 of them in my own golf cart with my clubs on the back in 25 minutes or less.

The landscaping, the homeowners individual landscaping has all grown in and the homes appear like an established neighborhood.

As mentioned earlier, resales will have a lower bond or a paid in full bond. In fact the bond started at a much lower rate, my CYV bond was $14,000 when it started. I pay $1100 a year or there is a payoff of about $12,000 if I desired to do so.

Shopping and restaurant areas on the southside are Colony and Trailwinds. In the center part the entire 466 highway, which is only 20 minutes from my area. The SS area is 441/27 which is only 20 minutes from my area, and the north end is Mulberry Plaza. Plus these areas are all accessible by golf cart if I desired.

Essentially the new areas lack the shopping, championship golf and the nearness to the squares, and the connection via golf cart trails.

Brownwood Square

The Villages Florida

Lake Sumter Landing

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 05-11-2020, 11:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayerose View Post
What is the difference in living in a new area of TV than in a already established one?
So, looks like you have been looking at TV for six years now. You have asked some great questions. Did you visit in 2014? Either way, you really need to come down and see the new areas for yourself.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Other reason for us is as we get older who wants to be so far from the 27/441 corridor.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:57 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
Other reason for us is as we get older who wants to be so far from the 27/441 corridor.
Or who want's to be near to it? I go there once, maybe twice a year if Belk's has a good sale otherwise I have no need to fight the traffic on 441/27, I don't like driving on that road at all. I would rather take the back roads to Ocala.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:41 PM
Gold member

Considering the massive size of The Villages it will be warmer on the south end in the winter.
Closed Thread

Tags
established, difference, living, area

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.