New watering hours

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2017, 09:56 AM
Gold member
Default In reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Are you sure ? Do they actually have somebody walk door to door reading water meters once a month ? About 5 years ago at my house in Cary NC they installed a system where they don't have to send anybody to read meters anymore. I have a website I can go to and see my water usage by the hour if I want to. There is about a 3 or 4 hour delay from usage to updating the website. It is actually useful as you can setup alerts when your water usage exceeds x gallons in a day etc.
I believe there are several different systems as well as water being supplied. Our home is three years old and on the south side of the villages. Our irrigation water is recycled water-not fit to drink. In the northern sections at least according to a friend that I have confidence in, they are using potable water, drinking water and they pay less for it. I try to only worry about things I CAN CHANGE.
I would expect, reclaimed water is going to cause more issues with the valves and heads used in your irrigation system. I have wondered how safe it is to eat fruit and vegetables we might be growing. For that matter how consistent the quality is

As to meter reading. Again not sure what system you have and I am no expert. In our system they do have a meter reader person. The meter is undeer one of those green plastic covers, we have all over the place. He does not even need to remove the cover to read it. He has a handheld device that reads right through the cover
Old 05-30-2017, 10:22 AM
Gold member
Default You want to read the notice at the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditka41 View Post
I am disappointed that we are ordered to cut back on our already limited lawn watering, while at the same time pretending it's fantastic to just continue building thousands more new houses. All those new places will require MUCH more water for their newly installed sod, to say nothing of all the other requirements for water at each new home. Does anyone else think enough is enough and we should stop our seemingly endless expansion? Or, is it more important to penalize current residents in order to keep the developer's almighty money machine producing? At some point the overbuilding is going to backfire and we'll see property values plummet when we don't have the natural resources to support it. Since the greed will not evaporate, we'll just have to pray for sufficient rains or be content with rock landscaping as seen in developments in desert areas "out West". Enjoy the golf courses while we still have them.
You seem to be a bit stressed.
First if you read the bill posted at the start of this thread you will find they have exceptions for new lawns.

RE: Overbuilding
I was shocked to discover since I was born the population of the US has doubled. In other parts of the world it is even higher.

RE: Greedy builder
This place does so well because they offer what people want. WHAT YOU WANTED WHEN YOU BOUGHT. Fortunately, if you feel you made the wrong choice you can easily sell your place and move. My view is you can be happy or miserable anywhere. No place is perfect.

ASIDE: I just heard on the radio that due to ocean temperatures they expect eight hurricanes this year that is far more than we have gotten used to in recent years.
We may shortly find posts complaining about too much water..
Old 05-30-2017, 10:33 AM
Gold member
Default That is not a surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt4Dough View Post
saw this in the online news

The approved rate structures for the Village Center Service Area, Little Sumter Service Area, the North Sumter County Utility Dependent District, Sumter Water Conservation Authority, and Fenney Water Conservation Authority include an Environmental Protection Rate Surcharge in the event a water shortage is declared by SWFWMD. In accordance with the rate structure, a 10 percent surcharge will be added to water usage beginning June 5 as a result of SWFWMD’s declaration of a Phase III Water Shortage.

I can imagine this conversation taking place.

Beancounter 1 "if we institute watering restrictions, revenues will go down by 10%"

Beancounter 2. "No problem, we will institute a 10% surcharge, call it something like Environmental Protection, yeah, that's the ticket!"
Water,electricity and gas are UTILITIES. They are set up as MONOPOLIES. They are guaranteed to make a profit.
It becomes interesting, and we mostly do not object or are even aware but, they are actually better off spending MORE as if they spend an extra million they are guaranteed a return on that expense-needed or not.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:12 AM
Veteran member

We still have yet to receive official notification (no mail or e-mail).
Old 05-30-2017, 12:47 PM
Gold member
Default If it helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
That didn't sound right, as far as allowable times, so, I went to wattermatters.org and it said after 6pm and before 8am.

Year-round water conservation measures limit lawn watering to twice per week.

Modified Phase III Water Shortage Restrictions

Always refer to your city or county regulations first.

Effective Date and Areas
The District’s Modified Phase III water shortage restrictions are in effect June 5, 2017 through August 1, 2017, except where stricter measures have been imposed by local governments.
These measures currently apply to all of Citrus, DeSoto, Hardee, Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas and Sarasota counties; the portions of Charlotte, Highlands, Lake, Levy, Marion, Polk, and Sumter, within the District’s jurisdiction; and Gasparilla Island (including the portion in Lee County) except as noted below.
Some local governments, such as St. Petersburg, have local ordinances with special watering times.
Some local governments, such as Sarasota County and Dunedin, have local ordinances with special one-day-per-week schedules.
Ocala and most of unincorporated Marion County follows the St. Johns River Water Management District’s water restrictions; however, the City of Dunnellon and The Villages remain under the Southwest Florida Water Management District’s water restrictions.
Unincorporated Levy County follows the Suwannee River Water Management District.
These restrictions apply to the use of wells and surface sources such as ponds, rivers and canals, in addition to utility-supplied water.
Lawn Watering Schedule and Times
Lawn watering is limited to a once-per-week schedule. Follow this schedule unless your city or county has a different once-per-week schedule or more stringent restrictions.

Addresses with “house numbers” …May only irrigate on …
Ending in 0 or 1 Monday
Ending in 2 or 3 Tuesday
Ending in 4 or 5 Wednesday
Ending in 6 or 7 Thursday
Ending in 8 or 9 Friday
No address (community common areas, etc.) Friday
Unless your city or county already has stricter hours in effect, the allowable watering hours are before 8 a.m. or after 6 p.m., regardless of property size.
Landscape Watering Schedule and Times
Handwatering and micro-irrigation of plants (other than lawns) can be done on any day at any time, if needed.
New Lawns & Plants
New lawns and plants have a 60-day establishment period. On days 1-30, they may be watered any day of the week.
During days 31-60, they may be watered approximately every other day. Even-numbered addresses may water on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Odd-numbered addresses may be watered on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. See also “Deed Restrictions” below.
Reclaimed Water
Reclaimed water remains subject to voluntary watering hours, unless blended with another water source or restricted by the local government or utility.
Car Washing
Car washing is limited to once-per-week on the designated watering day for the location.
Commercial car washes, including mobile detailing businesses, may still operate on any day.
Emergency and other first responder vehicles may still be washed on any day as needed.
Fundraising events are prohibited unless they were scheduled prior to enactment of this order.
Pressure Washing
Pressure washing is allowed once a year and for necessary purposes, such as prior to painting or sealing, in order to maintain a paint or material warranty, to address a health or safety hazard and to comply with health laws. See also “Deed Restrictions” below.
Fountains
Fountains and other aesthetic water features may only operate eight hours per day. The regular hours of operation can be selected by the owner, but must be posted (see fact sheet for list of exemptions, such as water features that also provide aerification to koi ponds).
Other Water Uses
Sprinkler-like devices used on a lawn for recreational purposes shall be limited to the lawn and landscape restrictions.
The lawn and landscape of agricultural operations, commercial establishments, golf courses, athletic fields, and industrial facilities are subject to the lawn and landscape restrictions listed in the Water Shortage Order.
Additional restrictions apply to water uses specific to agricultural operations, commercial establishments, golf courses, athletic fields, and industrial facilities.
Deed Restrictions & Community Standards Enforcement
Homeowners associations and other entities must suspend any requirement to replace lawns, pressure wash, or engage in other activity which increases water use during this water shortage declaration.
Water Utilities and Other Essential Services
Water use necessary for fire suppression, maintaining safe drinking water quality, and other essential services is not restricted.
Water utilities, in conjunction with local government agencies, must enforce restrictions and provide a monthly enforcement report (see new fact sheet for details).
Water utilities must continue implementing customer messaging and other water conservation efforts (see new fact sheet for details).
Report Watering Violations

Use this service to report a water use violation, or you may call us at 1-800-848-0499 (FL only) and leave a detailed message.

Go to form
Contact Us

If you have additional water restriction questions, please contact us by sending an email to Water.Restrictions@WaterMatters.org (anytime) or by calling our water restrictions hotline at 1-800-848-0499 (FL only) or 1-800-836-0797 (FL only), ext. 2298 (during business hours).

Mailing Address

Demand Management Program
SWFWMD
7601 U.S. Hwy. 301 North
Tampa, FL 33637

A petition for variance pdf from year-round water conservation measures or water shortage restrictions is available for qualified circumstances. To confirm that a variance is needed or for assistance when filling out an application form, check with our staff during normal business hours at 1-800-848-0499 (FL only) or email Water.Variances@WaterMatters.org.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just called the water company.
The above previously supplied by a fellow villager is correct. So our house which ends in a 4 and our previous water days was tues thurs it is now weds. We can water 6pm to 8 am.

I was told, for enforcement they expect neighbors to report neighbors. Personally, I find that offensive but, that is what I was told.

We are on the south end of the villages and use a separate water source to water the lawn. I asked if that effects our watering rules. TYPICAL of government. There is reclaimed and recycled water. I don't know the difference
but whichever we have it does not change the watering dictate. So we on the southside get to pay more for dirty water than they do in the north for drinking quality water.
I had heard that what we are using to water our lawns is minamally processed water from the lakes, ponds-esentially drainage ditches around here.

I also called the UCF group that does the gardening lectures. June 27th they have scheduled a lecture on water use at the Savannah center.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:59 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
The above previously supplied by a fellow villager is correct. So our house which ends in a 4 and our previous water days was tues thurs it is now weds. We can water 6pm to 8 am.

I was told, for enforcement they expect neighbors to report neighbors. Personally, I find that offensive but, that is what I was told.

We are on the south end of the villages and use a separate water source to water the lawn. I asked if that effects our watering rules. TYPICAL of government. There is reclaimed and recycled water. I don't know the difference
but whichever we have it does not change the watering dictate. So we on the southside get to pay more for dirty water than they do in the north for drinking quality water.
I had heard that what we are using to water our lawns is minamally processed water from the lakes, ponds-esentially drainage ditches around here.

I also called the UCF group that does the gardening lectures. June 27th they have scheduled a lecture on water use at the Savannah center.
Love thy neighbor.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:24 PM

When I attended the residents academy, I was told that there are three kinds of water in the Villages. Potable, non-potable and reclaimed. Potable comes from wells, is treated, and is used in houses, rec centers, and businesses. Non-potable comes from deep wells, not lakes, and is used to irrigate residential lawns and flower beds. This water is not treated and should not be consumed. Reclaimed is processed sewer water and is stored in golf course lakes and is only used to irrigate golf courses. Therefore, the watering of residential lawns and flower beds is restricted starting June 5th.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:

What a great idea!!. Personally, I plan to stay up until 3:30 AM and then walk up and down the street and note on a calendar who is watering when. Hopefully I won't get attacked by a coyote or step in dog poop.

Normally, I would expect 0 residents getting "reported", but I'm sure there are a few clowns out there that will do just what I stated above, in the tradition of the 8 inch gnome policewoman
Old 05-30-2017, 06:09 PM
Veteran member
Talking

[QUOTE=villages07;1402874]That didn't sound right, as far as allowable times, so, I went to wattermatters.org and it said after 6pm and before 8am.

Year-round water conservation measures limit lawn watering to twice per week.

Modified Phase III Water Shortage Restrictions

Always refer to your city or county regulations first.

Effective Date and Areas
The District’s Modified Phase III water shortage restrictions are in effect June 5, 2017 through August 1, 2017, except where stricter measures have been imposed by local governments.

The lawn and landscape of agricultural operations, commercial establishments, golf courses, athletic fields, and industrial facilities are subject to the lawn and landscape restrictions listed in the Water Shortage Order.

Golf courses here in TV can only water once a week?

Once a week in TV? What a joke!
And who is going to police that??!?
Old 05-30-2017, 09:48 PM
Sage

The irrigation water south of 466 is actually rain water collected in the retention ponds and augmented with other sources. See post #91.

Quote:
I believe there are several different systems as well as water being supplied. Our home is three years old and on the south side of the villages. Our irrigation water is recycled water-not fit to drink. In the northern sections at least according to a friend that I have confidence in, they are using potable water, drinking water and they pay less for it. I try to only worry about things I CAN CHANGE.
I would expect, reclaimed water is going to cause more issues with the valves and heads used in your irrigation system. I have wondered how safe it is to eat fruit and vegetables we might be growing. For that matter how consistent the quality is

As to meter reading. Again not sure what system you have and I am no expert. In our system they do have a meter reader person. The meter is undeer one of those green plastic covers, we have all over the place. He does not even need to remove the cover to read it. He has a handheld device that reads right through the cover

Last edited by biker1; 05-30-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:53 PM
Sage

The restriction is in terms of the number of days per week that you can water, not the amount of water that you use. Water is sold in units of gallons not cubic feet. This is easily seen on your monthly bill.

Quote:
It is not at all difficult. Your water use is metered.
If, you are not aware, as you use more water your price per??? gallon actually it is more likely per cubic foot, goes up dramatically.

FAIR? We can and we will argue. You must deal with what is not what you think it should be.

You can use less water by using LESS fertilizer so your lawn will grow slower and need less water. You can also raise the cutting height. You can also switch to organic fertilizer.

Your grass-grass has the ability do go dormant when water is lacking. It will/IT SHOULD, recover. You other plants and trees can be damaged and may die long after the drought has ended.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:46 PM
Veteran member
Thumbs up Mulching Helps to Retain Moisture

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
This is what we used to do at Lake Michigan, where everything is built on sand. The water drains right through into the sand and nothing is retained, so more frequent watering for shorter periods is the way to go. I plan to try this, because our lawn looks like the Sahara Desert with two days per week.
This is exactly why homeowners should be doing things to enrich the "sand" that we call soil.
Add peat moss, Black Kow and/or compost; put down layers of newspaper with mulch on top.
Over time, the mulch and newspaper disintegrates and actually helps to become soil.
These things are what will help retain moisture in planted areas.

Anyone who has stones as opposed to some type of mulch, isn't doing anything to benefit the sand or anything planted in it.
Stones actually do more harm than anything good and fertilizer over the stones doesn't do much good in this case either.

Last edited by Mrs. Robinson; 05-31-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
...Anyone who has stones as opposed to some type of mulch, isn't doing anything to benefit the sand or anything planted in it.
Stones actually do more harm than anything good and fertilizer over the stones doesn't do much good in this case either...
Our stone planting areas do just fine with near zero maintenance.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

In what season do they drop their seed pods? [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-31-2017, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I was going to say the same thing. My plants and flowers are thriving in our landscaped area, in which we replaced the pine straw with stone. I can say the same about all of my neighbors who have done the same. The mulch theory is BS.
Closed Thread

Tags
day, allowed, water, week, watering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.