Newbie question about homeowner private information published

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2020, 06:13 AM
Default Newbie question about homeowner private information published

As a newbie I’m just starting to review different sources of local news and information. I ran across a local publication that published about a Villager arrest (I understand is normal) the odd aspect was the out of place last sentence “ The ****** purchased their home at **** Main Street in December 20** for $2**,***. They moved here from *****.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

That information may seen odd, but it is not private information, it is publc information.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTinaBruce View Post
As a newbie I’m just starting to review different sources of local news and information. I ran across a local publication that published about a Villager arrest (I understand is normal) the odd aspect was the out of place last sentence “ The ****** purchased their home at **** Main Street in December 20** for $2**,***. They moved here from *****.
You’ll find all of that information is available here, with just a few clicks of the keyboard... tax records, utility records, etc.

What makes no sense is why they feel the need to include that in certain news articles.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:49 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

It has nothing else to write about.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:05 AM

That's my point. I understand tax rolls, arrest, etc are public information. Just odd to see the last sentence ( The ****** purchased their home at **** Main Street in December 20** for $2**,***. They moved here from *****.) not relevant. Almost as if there is a motive.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:28 AM
Sage

I get what the OP is referring to. This "publication" tends to report stuff that's negative in content. The fact that they also put in the information of the people---ie. their address as well as what they spent on their house isn't relevant to their reporting. I too have been puzzled by that. My assumption of that "rag" is it's nothing but a tabloid.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:29 AM

There is...it's called sensationalism! They think it's journalism, but it's in the National Enquirer category.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

There are a few motives. One is specific to the "editor" of that news site.

She has a personal beef with the Villages, the history of her issues goes back quite a number of years. So now that she has her own online news site (which is actually just an affiliate site of a larger publisher) she likes taking pot-shots when she has the opportunity.

Pointing out that criminals live a) in the Villages and b) in really nice neighborhoods and c) have money to buy homes outright and d) can be doxxed and publicly humiliated makes her happy.

She has actually taken information from police scanners and published them, even things that are protected information. Such as DETAILS of a particular man who engaged in sexual activity with his minor granddaughter. Details. Fill in the blanks yourself. It's disgusting. Published on an online site where anyone, including children, have free access to it.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

We just had a very long thread about how we all should be looking at our neighbors tax bills now you want to criticize a stupid news site that most people go to gloat over bad things there neighbors might be doing
Old 12-07-2020, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Yep.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I agree with the above. That online “thing” (if you want to consider it a publication) should not be considered a reliable, unbiased news source. They follow none of the journalism rules that I learned, and I find it laughable that they consider the purchase price of a home to be relevant in most cases. Journalistic integrity aside, they apparently don’t know how to spell-check.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
There are a few motives. One is specific to the "editor" of that news site.

She has a personal beef with the Villages, the history of her issues goes back quite a number of years. So now that she has her own online news site (which is actually just an affiliate site of a larger publisher) she likes taking pot-shots when she has the opportunity.

Pointing out that criminals live a) in the Villages and b) in really nice neighborhoods and c) have money to buy homes outright and d) can be doxxed and publicly humiliated makes her happy.

She has actually taken information from police scanners and published them, even things that are protected information. Such as DETAILS of a particular man who engaged in sexual activity with his minor granddaughter. Details. Fill in the blanks yourself. It's disgusting. Published on an online site where anyone, including children, have free access to it.
I think you are incorrect about a "beef". Meta Minton was the Editor of The Daily Sun for many years and worked directly for the Morses. When they "sold" the paper or the running of it to a private entity for a few years, she decided to go out on her own with a digital news service.

I think she is successful and fills a need in the market. She is a very nice woman. I may not always agree with her slant on things but she does give the public what they want.

I know many people who look up where someone lives when they see they have been arrested or are from The Villages. That is just being curious or nosy if you wish. Or simply if their personality is a bit overwhelming. It is A venial, not a mortal. Sister said.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Virtually everything in Florida that is connected to State or Local government agency is public record thanks to the Sunshine Law including the police blotter. Every email you send to a state or local agency is public record as well and that includes emails to any of The Villages offices so even ones "anonymous" complaints can be requested. Big Brother is watching and reading! Florida Attorney General - The "Sunshine" Law
Old 12-07-2020, 06:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

I like to know as much as possible about a criminal, what they did, when, where they live, with who etc. The more information we have the better we can protect ourselves from a similar person or incident. Evil thrives in silence and darkness.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I like to know as much as possible about a criminal, what they did, when, where they live, with who etc. The more information we have the better we can protect ourselves from a similar person or incident. Evil thrives in silence and darkness.
I agree. And, what is the problem with a free press publishing information that is available on a public website?
Closed Thread

Tags
newbie, local, published, information, sentence

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.