Newbie question re: Golf Carts

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2021, 08:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I use mine for haling stuff. Fold seat down. I build a "fence" around it that I can put on an off.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:30 AM

PRO. 4 seaters are ok if you have a lot of company
CON. After about a year your company will be fewer and fewer except in the winter
CON. Your friends will ask you to drive them places so they don’t have to drive. We had a big car and we always had to haul people around when going out with a couple so they didn’t have to drive. Gets old after awhile.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:41 AM

I live in Bonita — welcome !! We have 3 areas. Upper Bonita- Bonita lake and Bonita depending where you live. I’m upper Bonita ... baisley trail area
Old 05-13-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
No matter what you buy, get it from Carts and Clubs in Ocala; more standard equipment and better built for less money. 352-351-2278.
When we were buying our second (replacement) four-seater a year ago Carts and Clubs were not really interested in selling them claiming safety issues. We have had/driven a four-seat cart for 11 years without safety concerns, use the back seat regularly, have not had any parking issues and use it for golf multiple times per week. Agree with the seat belt recommendations.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moret5107 View Post
Who makes the four-seat with foldaway?
Club Car Onward, lithium battery 2 seater with fold down back seat. It’s perfect all around.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
When we were buying our second (replacement) four-seater a year ago Carts and Clubs were not really interested in selling them claiming safety issues. We have had/driven a four-seat cart for 11 years without safety concerns, use the back seat regularly, have not had any parking issues and use it for golf multiple times per week. Agree with the seat belt recommendations.
In addition...having the seat belts lowers your insurance on it, as well as unique key.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Consider how often you’ll actually use the four seats. The weight of the extra four seat structure will slow the top speed of your cart by about 2 mph, enough to get you passed by virtually every other golf cart you encounter while driving around TV.

When you really need the four seater, for the visit of family or grandchildren, four-seaters are readily available to rent at any of The Villages Golf Cart stores.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:09 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
The weight of the extra four seat structure will slow the top speed of your cart by about 2 mph, enough to get you passed by virtually every other golf cart you encounter while driving around TV.
Silly.
Just turn it up if that is a concern of yours.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:18 AM

When we moved here we went to the golf cart store with the intentions of buying a 4-seater. The salesman talked us out of it stating you can rent a lot of 4-seaters for the extra cost to buy one. So we bought a two-seater which is great most of the time. I still which we bought a 4 forward...and we might as a 2nd cart. The 4 seaters with two seats facing backwards don't feel as stable especially if you have 4 adults riding.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:42 AM

I wish I would have bought a 4 seater. When purchasing I was in the same position you are. The sales person told me to buy the 4 and then rent when people come to visit. I thought that what he said makes sense. The only problem is my family comes throughout the winter to visit. There are no golf carts for rent during snow bird season. Now I have a problem. I have guests that want to ride in a golf cart and I can't get a short term rental. In TV during snowbird season rentals are expensive and they do not do day rentals unless a cart happens to be in. So you have to show up first thing in the morning to see if any were brought back. I did this day after day this winter and one day out of the 12 or 13 I tried we got a 4 person cart and it ran very poorly. It was loud and the breaks didn't work well they were very soft. If I could do it over I would have paid extra and bought the 4 person cart to begin with.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:09 AM
Default I would add - forward facing seats

I've ridden in a 4 seater in the back. I don't like facing rearward - I feel a little ill plus I feel like I'm falling off the seat when the cart goes up hill. I would buy/rent one where the seats all face forward. In addition to what has already been said, some of the 4 seaters can be quite long and head in parking may leave the back end out in traffic.
we have two carts. So far, one would have been plenty, but this may be due to the pandemic. We had originally thought my wife and I would be going to different places.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
An Opinion:
Can NOT ALWAYS rent a four seater.
2 & 4 seaters are the same to drive.
Parking a 4 seater is not more difficult.

We have both and are glad we have both.
We purchased the four seater first.
Make sure you get seatbelts.

Some four seaters do not have a raised rear roof........recommend.
Would not recommend the flip-up four seater.

Good Luck.
Same here. We have one of each. Ditto the longer body on four seater. Front facing is better. We got our four seater first, used. It is a 2003 model gas Yamaha.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:22 PM

Thank you to everyone that has so kindly replied to my post!!
Old 05-13-2021, 03:03 PM

I think LuvtheVillages was referring to a forward facing 4 seaters which are longer than regular carts. Most of them stick out too far to be parked head on. They are more enjoyable for the extra visitors, but it all depends on your particular needs. If the occasional visitor will only be a couple , then a 4 seater is fine, but think of your needs. Will it be grandchildren also and if so you’ll need more than just a four seater anyway. Each of our kids have 2 kids so a four seater still wouldn’t work. You would have to borrow or rent. We have two, a 2 seater and an older 4 seater for company, but it’s the kind with rear facing fold down seats. In its stock version, it does get a little squirrelly with two extra adults on the back and brake a little more going down into a tunnel. Takes a bit more to stop. If you go with that kind, get the extended roof to keep guests out of the elements. Best of luck.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
An Opinion:
Can NOT ALWAYS rent a four seater.
2 & 4 seaters are the same to drive.
Parking a 4 seater is not more difficult.

We have both and are glad we have both.
We purchased the four seater first.
Make sure you get seatbelts.

Some four seaters do not have a raised rear roof........recommend.
Would not recommend the flip-up four seater.

Good Luck.
Yes, but if you can only have one, which would you choose? We deliberated this too when we bought. I wanted a 4-seater so when the kids came we could ride together. Hubby said, "and just how often will kids come? We can't live our lives on the "might". He won, his argument was more reasonable. We bought a 2-seater and rent another when the kids come. They love driving their own cart.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, extra, pros, cons, convenience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.