Newbie Question - Water Filtration System

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2022, 04:09 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts
Default Newbie Question - Water Filtration System

Hi —
Down to just a little two more weeks to closing and moving to TV! I understand water isn’t so good in Florida, and that many have some sort of filtration system. This is something I know nothing about. What is it? Where is it situated? What type of maintenance/upkeep would be required of me? This is something I would like to get the ball rolling with now - any referrals? Anything else I should know about the drinking water in TV? Thanks as usual for your helpful replies and suggestions. 😀
Old 11-18-2022, 04:16 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Lots of threads on this topic.

Lots have Nova..............I don't.

I (and others) use Pelican.
A bit more pricey than Nova, but you know what they say........getting what you pay for.

Lots of people have no filtration.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Hi —
Down to just a little two more weeks to closing and moving to TV! I understand water isn’t so good in Florida, and that many have some sort of filtration system. This is something I know nothing about. What is it? Where is it situated? What type of maintenance/upkeep would be required of me? This is something I would like to get the ball rolling with now - any referrals? Anything else I should know about the drinking water in TV? Thanks as usual for your helpful replies and suggestions. 😀
We have NOVA and are 100 per cent satisfied our water is great.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Lots of threads on this topic.

Lots have Nova..............I don't.

I (and others) use Pelican.
A bit more pricey than Nova, but you know what they say........getting what you pay for.

Lots of people have no filtration.
I have several customers who said Pelican went out of biz in this area? They can’t get anyone on the phone? Are they still in biz at least in this area?

Wilson can you still get service or you do it yourself??
Old 11-18-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
We have NOVA and are 100 per cent satisfied our water is great.
..,,,,10,000 plus customers in the Villages

www.novafiters.com

Last edited by Brad-tv; 11-19-2022 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:53 PM

Nova systems. Water filter and water softener. Filter contains 3 large separate filters (2 for sediment and 1 for organics/chlorine which is activated carbon). They probably should be changed once a year if you are full time or home is occupied year round (rented). You will need to add salt every couple of months. You can use sodium chloride or potassium chloride. Sodium is about $8-9 a bag and potassium is about $35 a bag. This is used to regenerate the softener and the flush water usually is piped through the garage wall. Then it runs either into a landscaped area or the yard. Sodium can & will kill grass and plants. Potassium will not harm plants. In fact it is a component of fertilizer.

Check out their website: Nova Filters | Water Softeners | The Villages Fl

And when you get it installed, remove the filter in your refrigerator. It is no longer needed but will grow bacteria over time if left in place. When you remove the filter, you may need a bypass plug - depends on the refrigerator.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:44 AM

We have Nova Water Filtation and love it! The drinking water tastes great and we drink a lot of it. Also I have long hair and was having a hard time getting it rinsed in the shower -The filtration helped. Also thinking about getting a softener. Welcome to The Villages 😁
Old 11-19-2022, 04:47 AM
Default Water System https://pegasuswaterllc.com/

Quote:
Hi —
When we came here, we shopped around and chose Pegasus water systems as we wanted to be able to drink the water right out of the tap, and we do snd it’s quite the miracle (for the past 3 years) it just depends what you are looking for but call Adam at Pegasus as he’s super knowledgeable and a good guy! Good luck and welcome 🙏
Old 11-19-2022, 04:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,734 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Hi —
I would suggest that you live in the house for awhile before investing in a water filter and/or softener system. A lot of people, including me, are satisfied with the water without any treatment. There is no need to rush into buying something. The system is installed in the garage, and it can be purchased at any time.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:23 AM

Why don’t you move in and see what YOU think of the water. I drink from the filtered fridge spout and think it’s just fine.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:43 AM

Michael. My hometown is Lodi CA. Been in The Villages FL since 2015. Water in The Villages the same as Lodi water from my experience.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:02 AM
Veteran member

You don’t need any system, Florida water is fine.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Hi —
We recently put in a Nova system and what a difference. It’s installed in our garage and takes up a small amount of area near where the main water turn off is. We no longer buy water filters ($$$) and water tastes great. Filters get changed approximately once per year.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:49 AM
Veteran member
Default Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
You don’t need any system, Florida water is fine.
I don't know much about water systems except they do work. I would replace the water filter on my refrigerator twice a year and if I procrastinated the flow of the water would slow down to a trickle. I had a water filter installed in my garage and haven't change the filter in the frig in over two years. novice
Old 11-19-2022, 07:14 AM

Bought a filter/softener from sears. With instal was $1100. They gave 5 year Warrenty and annual Maintenace. All I need to do is dump 1 bag of salt in every 2 months. Very happy with the Maintenace end and the water is softer and better taste then without. Cheaper than Nova or Pelican but some will complain you have to put the salt in. It takes about 5 minutes to do.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, filtration, system, required, suggestions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.