Newell AED Program- Different View

Old 03-25-2024, 09:00 PM
Default Sumter County PulsePoint AED program

An AED program can be done at no charge as it has been done in my Village of Buttonwood. Sumter County has a free AED program that will provide AED's, install AED cabinets and provide the emergency calling system to alert trained responders of AED emergencies. Contact Sumter County at (352)689-4400 and ask about the PulsePoint.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapX View Post
I have been trained on CPR and AED use many times through the years. Like many other have.
I performed CPR many times and have had saves as a result.
Have even been publicly recognized for it, although meeting with people I have saved was much more satisfying.

Shame on me for thinking people would want to live.
Shame on me for thinking people would chose to lay there (dead) while I stand by.
I'll wait for minutes to pass, then point the FD to your lifeless body with the message "she didn't want me to do CPR."

Was I an EMT? No, I had a different job.
Could I perform CPR as good as any EMT? Absolutely yes.

So share your address so I don't waste my time in case there is a call at your house.
Hope you know there are often multiple calls simultaneously. The nearest fire station might be out on one of those other calls, and the next nearest response could be 15 minutes away. You would not survive. How would you want that phrased on the tombstone?
Why are you so angry if someone chooses not to use you. Does it affect you if they don't use you, does it change your performance review, or don’t sleep well if the person chooses not to use you.

Sorry after 45 plus years in OR, not at any time was A YOU involved. We were a group of many, never did one person get in a snit if resuscitation was turned down by a family member (cause the one on the floor isn’t making any decisions, if they can talk they don’t need you)

It’s interesting you alone saved so many people without any assistance. I stopped counting at 100 events, but not at any time could I take credit for being the lone person who saved anyone.

But in return none of us were the sole reason why we called for a time of death. Although if it was an infant, child or young person, all involved attending end result meeting, could have input if something could have changed the outcome.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Why are you so angry if someone chooses not to use you. Does it affect you if they don't use you, does it change your performance review, or don’t sleep well if the person chooses not to use you.

Sorry after 45 plus years in OR, not at any time was A YOU involved. We were a group of many, never did one person get in a snit if resuscitation was turned down by a family member (cause the one on the floor isn’t making any decisions, if they can talk they don’t need you)

It’s interesting you alone saved so many people without any assistance. I stopped counting at 100 events, but not at any time could I take credit for being the lone person who saved anyone.

But in return none of us were the sole reason why we called for a time of death. Although if it was an infant, child or young person, all involved attending end result meeting, could have input if something could have changed the outcome.
Not defending the post in question nor challenging yours....however, the post in question was an individual stating that if all things are equal (ie; same training, certification etc) but, one is a paid professional and one is a volunteer, some whom are/were Army medics, EMTs, FF, nurses....she said she would decline services. The DNR was added by the rest of us in the scenario in that the yellow paper needs to be present. That’s insulting and as an OR professional, if you were on that volunteer team and were told that....because you’re an unpaid volunteer....no thanks....you’d be insulted as well. Again, she never brought up a DNR....just the paid/unpaid take...
Old 03-28-2024, 10:14 AM
Default Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoodman View Post
An AED program can be done at no charge as it has been done in my Village of Buttonwood. Sumter County has a free AED program that will provide AED's, install AED cabinets and provide the emergency calling system to alert trained responders of AED emergencies. Contact Sumter County at (352)689-4400 and ask about the PulsePoint.
Pulse point is the application used for notification of responders. Every AED program uses this application which is given free to them.

No such thing as free AED units! Buttonwood was installed about 15 years ago. They raised contributions from residents to fund this program. They may not have any reason or need to raise anymore funds.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
Pulse point is the application used for notification of responders. Every AED program uses this application which is given free to them.

No such thing as free AED units! Buttonwood was installed about 15 years ago. They raised contributions from residents to fund this program. They may not have any reason or need to raise anymore funds.
Not true. Several villages use Ready Alert for their notifications.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-28-2024, 11:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Xxxx
Old 03-28-2024, 11:57 AM
Default Complications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
That sent me googling. Interesting. https://www.**************.com/2021/...-the-villages/
Old 03-28-2024, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Xxxx
Does this mean the same as ////?
Old 03-28-2024, 03:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Not defending the post in question nor challenging yours....however, the post in question was an individual stating that if all things are equal (ie; same training, certification etc) but, one is a paid professional and one is a volunteer, some whom are/were Army medics, EMTs, FF, nurses....she said she would decline services. The DNR was added by the rest of us in the scenario in that the yellow paper needs to be present. That’s insulting and as an OR professional, if you were on that volunteer team and were told that....because you’re an unpaid volunteer....no thanks....you’d be insulted as well. Again, she never brought up a DNR....just the paid/unpaid take...
You are very mistaken on how most professionals would feel.
First professionals are taught to respect the voice in the room. Even if you think it’s right or wrong you are taught never to overstep your bounds to respect their wishes and do as they ask. If there is no voice in the room you do everything you can to save that human.

It is not about you. It is about that family member who is making decisions since the person laying on the floor doesn’t have a voice. Outside of the hospital and inside. I have seen more than once that a DNR paperwork can be stuffed in a pocket while family members plead with you to save the life, or ask that you step back.

As a professional, I personally involved in CPR on more than 10 occasions alone, outside of A facility. I have also been asked more than five times to step back and not perform CPR.

If you are going into a home or a public area you identify yourself then respect the wishes of the person who is either asking for help or asking you not to help.

It is not in your teaching, to question, burden, or make them feel guilty of their wishes. After all, you are not walking in their shoes. I have personally witnessed within family members that CPR not be started. You have no idea the reason, however background one can guess.

Sometime that 911 call and refusal to first volunteer is allowing more time before first responders arrive. That spouse may have wanted to let them go, but it’s a hard decision to make, being alone with your loved one. By waiting for EMS you are not alone, yet time is making decisions for you.

My best friend ED physician age 27 with stage four Mets stopped breathing while I was at his house. Both his parents were MDAs. It was in my brain to start CPR, and I approached, his spouse said NO. It’s hard to do, when it’s a friend but I had to respect wishes. I knew it was the right decision, but my heart had different ideas.

The one memory that sticks in my mind is at a resort Hotel 3yo was found face in the pool. We were 11 anesthesiologist and anesthetist who were just few feet away.
The father refused us to help, picked up his child ran past us, the lifeguards, into the lobby.
We as professionals went into the lobby again said you have doctors available. Please let us help. The father refused. Was it hard, sure but again you have to respect the person with the voice.

Am I insulted, when someone refuses CPR in a public setting. NOT even once.

I sleep well at night knowing I asked and was answered, by the voice of that spouse, family member, who wants to wait for EMS. Then it’s up to you to offer support and kindness to that voice, and definitely not make them suffer anymore than they already are.

So again no I am not in anyway made to feel angry, hurt feels or insulted to the word NO
Old 03-28-2024, 04:07 PM
Default Maybe because they are in a different county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
The Villages Fire Safety Department along with Sumpter County fully support Pulse Point.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
The Villages Fire Safety Department along with Sumpter County fully support Pulse Point.
That's well and good. I wasn't comparing them. I was just correcting an incorrect statement. Not EVERY program uses Pulse Point.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
You are very mistaken on how most professionals would feel.
First professionals are taught to respect the voice in the room. Even if you think it’s right or wrong you are taught never to overstep your bounds to respect their wishes and do as they ask. If there is no voice in the room you do everything you can to save that human.

It is not about you. It is about that family member who is making decisions since the person laying on the floor doesn’t have a voice. Outside of the hospital and inside. I have seen more than once that a DNR paperwork can be stuffed in a pocket while family members plead with you to save the life, or ask that you step back.

As a professional, I personally involved in CPR on more than 10 occasions alone, outside of A facility. I have also been asked more than five times to step back and not perform CPR.

If you are going into a home or a public area you identify yourself then respect the wishes of the person who is either asking for help or asking you not to help.

It is not in your teaching, to question, burden, or make them feel guilty of their wishes. After all, you are not walking in their shoes. I have personally witnessed within family members that CPR not be started. You have no idea the reason, however background one can guess.

Sometime that 911 call and refusal to first volunteer is allowing more time before first responders arrive. That spouse may have wanted to let them go, but it’s a hard decision to make, being alone with your loved one. By waiting for EMS you are not alone, yet time is making decisions for you.

My best friend ED physician age 27 with stage four Mets stopped breathing while I was at his house. Both his parents were MDAs. It was in my brain to start CPR, and I approached, his spouse said NO. It’s hard to do, when it’s a friend but I had to respect wishes. I knew it was the right decision, but my heart had different ideas.

The one memory that sticks in my mind is at a resort Hotel 3yo was found face in the pool. We were 11 anesthesiologist and anesthetist who were just few feet away.
The father refused us to help, picked up his child ran past us, the lifeguards, into the lobby.
We as professionals went into the lobby again said you have doctors available. Please let us help. The father refused. Was it hard, sure but again you have to respect the person with the voice.

Am I insulted, when someone refuses CPR in a public setting. NOT even once.

I sleep well at night knowing I asked and was answered, by the voice of that spouse, family member, who wants to wait for EMS. Then it’s up to you to offer support and kindness to that voice, and definitely not make them suffer anymore than they already are.

So again no I am not in anyway made to feel angry, hurt feels or insulted to the word NO
I'm not going to challenge you or compare resumes. You don't know me and I dont know you. You missed the point. This is a forum...we're not in the theater of our professions on TOTV. The poster said.....and my point in challenging ...is that if all things are equal (please assume there is no DNR in place because she never mentioned one) she would refuse the services of unpaid professionals or volunteers. Even with the same resume and background that someone like yourself posts often. Obviously those wishes would be respected but the premise of paid vs unpaid is ridiculous. Again, we're not in the theater of our work....just the theater of the absurd.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
I'm not going to challenge you or compare resumes. You don't know me and I dont know you. You missed the point. This is a forum...we're not in the theater of our professions on TOTV. The poster said.....and my point in challenging ...is that if all things are equal (please assume there is no DNR in place because she never mentioned one) she would refuse the services of unpaid professionals or volunteers. Even with the same resume and background that someone like yourself posts often. Obviously those wishes would be respected but the premise of paid vs unpaid is ridiculous. Again, we're not in the theater of our work....just the theater of the absurd.
Your post is I would be insulted if I was told they wanted to wait for EMS. My answer is still no, not in the least. If they asked me to leave I would, if they asked to sit and wait with them I would. Either way still wouldn’t be insulted. Most volunteers don’t need an ego trip, that I am as good as any _____________
It goes along the line if you are a male volunteer and the female is on the ground, you are asked to step back. One would never be insulted.

Why does bother some is first volunteer can’t get on their knees to do a assessment that is a disservice to the program.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Your post is I would be insulted if I was told they wanted to wait for EMS. My answer is still no, not in the least. If they asked me to leave I would, if they asked to sit and wait with them I would. Either way still wouldn’t be insulted. Most volunteers don’t need an ego trip, that I am as good as any _____________
It goes along the line if you are a male volunteer and the female is on the ground, you are asked to step back. One would never be insulted.

Why does bother some is first volunteer can’t get on their knees to do a assessment that is a disservice to the program.
Why are you changing the parameters?

No one mentioned someone who is "physically unable" to assist.

If someone can't "get on their knees" to do an assessment, they shouldn't be a volunteer in the program. Period...

The same applies if someone is unable to perform CPR...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-29-2024, 05:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Why are you changing the parameters?

No one mentioned someone who is "physically unable" to assist.

If someone can't "get on their knees" to do an assessment, they shouldn't be a volunteer in the program. Period...

The same applies if someone is unable to perform CPR...
I agree, but have you had an event at your house? In older neighborhood our friends at our house had 3 events. Two different events with two different people, arrived the volunteer was unable to physically help.

Should they be removed from the roster? Probably, but sometimes the lead has difficulty with that process. Friends were later informed that that volunteer could still offer comfort, until other help arrived. Bonus for our friends was first responders were at the house before AED group.

Tags
group, program, view, people, aed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.