Newell AED Program- Different View

Old 03-16-2024, 07:25 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Last time I renewed my CPR certification the instructor clearly stated that CPR is the worst case scenario. AED's are more than twice as effective in saving lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgInLakeDenham View Post
You're CPR instructor clearly is a mass murderer. Please do call the American Heart Association and PLEASE GIVE THEM YOUR INSTRUCTOR'S NAME....so they can ban him. I will gladly give back all my certifications if CPR is not your immediate response
Medical and life saving advice on TOTV? It's unfortunate that Phife has passed away and can't join in. Perhaps Lil Durk will come offer some life-saving tips?
Old 03-16-2024, 07:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Medical and life saving advice on TOTV? It's unfortunate that Phife has passed away and can't join in. Perhaps Lil Durk will come offer some life-saving tips?
Yeah I’m only addressing the OP query about AED purchases and deployment. How it devolved into flexing about First Aid/CPR street cred.....I guess I missed a few posts!
Old 03-16-2024, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Yeah I’m only addressing the OP query about AED purchases and deployment. How it devolved into flexing about First Aid/CPR street cred.....I guess I missed a few posts!
Ha! You're funny and your posts are appreciated. The only flexing I want is if I go down and need CPR to have a chance. Don't want neighborhood thinking the AED is like Jesus and gonna rise me from the dead
Old 03-16-2024, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Ha! You're funny and your posts are appreciated. The only flexing I want is if I go down and need CPR to have a chance. Don't want neighborhood thinking the AED is like Jesus and gonna rise me from the dead
I haven’t heard that AED joke in years, but it’s still scary to think some are a believer.

Have seen in older neighborhoods that 2am call, groggy (2minutes get dressed) then over to the box, (1-2 minutes to unlock grab unit) then to the house, (1-2 minutes in the dark) carefully placing pads, Waiting for the warm up. Yet nobody has checked for a pulse, starting CPR.

After 45 years of training to resurrect the dead, I know my limits, of how long I can maintain compression depth and length of time before need of help. that limit used to be 20 minutes, now 10-12. But I expect that will dwindle as time goes on, and have zero issues admitting that fact. But after 45 years of trauma call, I still can be alert and fully functional at adrenaline rush in less than a minute.

Average TV response from EMS is around 3-8 minutes given experience in TV, since 2010. In our home we are good doing CPR, until EMS comes through front door. Just remember as you are calling 911, unlock front door, turn on lights that only takes less then 5 seconds. Then start CPR

It’s not hard to ask your highly trained coworker to step aside because they are in need of relief. But I found volunteers get a little testy when someone says time for switch.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

My wife and I left the bubble for dinner, the cost with tip was $98.00. The following day that enjoyment was just a memory, the day after it was gone and we moved on to the next expensive memory. For 100 bucks you might help someone live....and that is the better buy. Our neighborhood has 7 units. Not everyone contributed, and that was ok since there were enough of us that felt the benefit was worth it so we got it done. That was 7 years ago, and as people move in and move out we continue to get dontions from those moving in when they know we have the AED's in the neighborhood. And yes, 2 bucks a week is a lot of money

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-16-2024, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I haven’t heard that AED joke in years, but it’s still scary to think some are a believer.

Have seen in older neighborhoods that 2am call, groggy (2minutes get dressed) then over to the box, (1-2 minutes to unlock grab unit) then to the house, (1-2 minutes in the dark) carefully placing pads, Waiting for the warm up. Yet nobody has checked for a pulse, starting CPR.

After 45 years of training to resurrect the dead, I know my limits, of how long I can maintain compression depth and length of time before need of help. that limit used to be 20 minutes, now 10-12. But I expect that will dwindle as time goes on, and have zero issues admitting that fact. But after 45 years of trauma call, I still can be alert and fully functional at adrenaline rush in less than a minute.

Average TV response from EMS is around 3-8 minutes given experience in TV, since 2010. In our home we are good doing CPR, until EMS comes through front door. Just remember as you are calling 911, unlock front door, turn on lights that only takes less then 5 seconds. Then start CPR

It’s not hard to ask your highly trained coworker to step aside because they are in need of relief. But I found volunteers get a little testy when someone says time for switch.
Thank you all the years of caring you have given to people. CPR is exhausting and we all need help to back us. Guess that sums up my little campaign to encourage training for everyone that cares about people
Old 03-16-2024, 10:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
You're CPR instructor clearly is a mass murderer. Please do call the American Heart Association and PLEASE GIVE THEM YOUR INSTRUCTOR'S NAME....so they can ban him. I will gladly give back all my certifications if CPR is not your immediate response
From Harvard University:

“It’s theoretically better than CPR because it can restart the heart, whereas CPR is merely a stopgap.” One study found that a defibrillator-CPR combination improved the survival rate over CPR alone (23% versus 14%).
Old 03-16-2024, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
From Harvard University:

“It’s theoretically better than CPR because it can restart the heart, whereas CPR is merely a stopgap.” One study found that a defibrillator-CPR combination improved the survival rate over CPR alone (23% versus 14%).
I'll be nice and point out that's exactly what I said....but also you must in exact detail tell us what you will do, after waiting around the most precious moments in someone's life, when the AED says..."No Shock advised". I would appreciate it immensely if you would also explain why you waited for the AED to tell you what I've been saying all along. Tell us how you've contributed to a brain dead victim that you witheld CPR from? Lack of knowledge kills people. Also....you really want to represent Harvard?....

Last edited by BigDawgInLakeDenham; 03-16-2024 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:55 PM
Default A simple question:

What prevents these from being stolen?
Old 03-17-2024, 04:25 AM

One more perspective: our village has had AEDs for around 20 years. I believe not a single one has been used in 20 years. But batteries must be replaced every few years and maintained etc and a plan of action must be in place to use and find the AED and who is the main person, who is the backup etc etc. Are they really worth it? CPR= fast and no cost and is the most effective way to revive a person. This actually just happened to one of our fellow villagers who stopped breathing on a pickleball court. CPR saved his life, not an AED. I am not seeing the value of the AED. It’s not a perfect world and we are all going to die at some point. Maybe it’s better to have a village CPR class instead of buying a bunch of AEDs?
Old 03-17-2024, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtherock View Post
...snipped... Are they really worth it? CPR= fast and no cost and is the most effective way to revive a person. This actually just happened to one of our fellow villagers who stopped breathing on a pickleball court. CPR saved his life, not an AED. I am not seeing the value of the AED. ...snipped...
There's a need for both because they treat two different conditions. (I'm not a medical professional, but have received training in both CPR and AED use.) A very common condition is when the heart is weakened, but still beating, by a "heart attack." It can't pump enough blood and CPR is essential to maintaining life. The other condition is when the heart has lost the electrical signal which keeps it beating. An AED shocks it back into action.

Yes, CPR is more often an effective remedy. But there are rare times when an AED is really needed to resume the heartbeat. In BOTH cases, CPR is essential and should be started immediately while someone else fetches an AED.

BTW, the AED can also do the diagnosis to determine if a shock is needed, but DON'T wait for that. Always start CPR immediately.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired55 View Post
This is a different view on an AED program that a group on Facebook is implementing, for the Village of Newell. It is a view no one on Facebook in the Group will comment on for fear of being outcast or attacked. That’s why its being posted here. This is not meant to attack the organizers or anyone who supports or has donated to the program. The organizer has mentioned to the group that some people where opposed to the Program but they do not understand why.

The group wants to install 25 AED devices throughout the Village, and is asking $100 per household.

First, the AED devises are a great Lifesaving tool and I think they are wonderful as I am also certified to operate one. But the program itself is not the issue.

Simply said, a Facebook group should not be making decisions for the entire Village, no matter how good or well meaning the project is. It is just a Facebook group; no one voted anyone in for this. It has created a situation where you are making people uncomfortable and pitting one side against another. This should not happen. The group is aggressively collecting money by going door to door, setting up tables at the mail and rec centers and other ways. Some people do not appreciate that and shouldn't have to explain why they do not want to contribute.

The Village of Newell is a beautiful community, with friendly neighbors who look out for each other and enjoy each others company. While this program is very thoughtful and well meaning, please understand that there may be some neighbors who do not agree, for their own reasons.

I'm sure money can be an issue with some people, and they shouldn’t have to explain that to anyone, or be made uncomfortable because of it.

There are lots of questions about the program itself but that is for a different conversation and is not really relevant to this view.

Please, this is just a different view not an argument.

I am curios what others in the Villages have to say on the issue.

Retired
I can only say that a similar effort was conducted in Monarch Grove several years ago. Those who contributed were asked for $85. I’m not sure how many AED’s were purchased but they are in every neighborhood here and if myself or my husband ever need it, I’m glad it’s there. It’s a small investment to try to save a neighbors’ life.

By the time new batteries are needed there will undoubtedly be some new people that will have the opportunity to contribute then if they choose to.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:33 AM

My previous post focused on the very different conditions that CPR and AED devices serve. CPR is needed in all cases and is frequently enough to save a life. But there are those rare cases where CPR won't restart a heartbeat. That's when the AEDs make a real difference.

The REAL VALUE of the AED programs hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread. That value is the building of a team of responders in your own neighborhood, along with making available an alerting system for those responders. When a 911 operator alerts EMS teams, a "PulsePoint" alert system is notified at the same time. It sends "CPR Needed" alerts to all trained responders within 1/2 mile of the person who needs attention. That alert system, and a network of trained and willing neighbors is very often able to get to the victim before the EMS teams.

In neighborhoods some distance from a fire station, this makes a huge difference. I live in Chitty Chatty and we have a fire station literally "across the street." I've responded to several alerts and in every case there have been multiple neighbors responding and in every case someone has been there to start CPR before the EMS team arrived. Every second counts and the earliest possible CPR is the best remedy.

THAT, in my mind, is the value of the program. Without those neighbors, a victim is left waiting ... and probably not spending their fading moments whining about a $100 contribution.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:51 AM

Just curious…. Where is the closest fire/rescue station to the area of Newell, Dabney & Lake Denham?

I’ve heard Don (GoldWingNut) mention on his videos about the TV’s goal of having a station within 2 miles (I believe) of every home.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Very ballpark figure would be $2,000 to purchase, some amount to install, then about $500 after three years for batteries and pads.

For 25 devices that comes close to $63,000 or 630 homes each contributing $100. By 2027 you would need to collect again for the next set of batteries and pads. Are there than many homes in the neighborhood?

We don't have any in our area. I'm told it was discussed some time before I bought here but with the great response times of the VPSD it was determined to be a lot of money, training, and coordination for possibly no return.
There has been more than one life saved by these devices in the Villages. So are you saying $100 isn’t worth a life except maybe unless it yours. Pretty shorted sighted for so little money. I am sure if they go ahead with this and you need it they won’t ask if you contributed or not.

Tags
group, program, view, people, aed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.