Newell AED Program- Different View

Old 03-17-2024, 09:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,613 Times in 586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptmcbriz View Post
We are in Hawkins and gladly donated to the program. Most of the retired nurses I know here are on the emergency response team in the neighborhood. Most likely they will get to your door two minutes before the EMTs arrive. If they save one life over the years, that will be the best $100 I ever spent. Most women spend that much on their nails in a month. Nails or saving a life? No brainer for me.
Experience says nobody is getting out of a sound sleep, answering call, grab clothes, run out the door find the house in two minutes.

Unless they are living in your house, or maybe next door you are asking way more than most can accomplish.

On call (so you know that call is coming) at 3am, call comes i was in my car in 90 seconds because I am sleeping in scrubs, my shoes are at the door. I know that because second call comes at 2 minute mark, asking if you are on your way, and eta. Third call comes at 10 minutes which I would be exiting my car heading in the door.

Why the 3 calls, because even experienced trauma people under the age of 50 have been known to answer first call and slip back to sleep.

Last edited by thelegges; 03-17-2024 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:26 AM

As for aggressively soliciting contributions - that may be a personal interpretation from someone who does not want to contribute for whatever reason. In St Catherine we had volunteers go door-to-door to collect, which is probably the standard method of collecting. If you don't want to contribute $100 for whatever reason, then don't, you will still be covered by the AED program. I know of people refusing to contribute for silly reasons such as not being here full-time or being of a younger than average age. That's okay because, like me, many people contributed much more than was asked.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired55 View Post
This is a different view on an AED program that a group on Facebook is implementing, for the Village of Newell. It is a view no one on Facebook in the Group will comment on for fear of being outcast or attacked. That’s why its being posted here. This is not meant to attack the organizers or anyone who supports or has donated to the program. The organizer has mentioned to the group that some people where opposed to the Program but they do not understand why.

The group wants to install 25 AED devices throughout the Village, and is asking $100 per household.

First, the AED devises are a great Lifesaving tool and I think they are wonderful as I am also certified to operate one. But the program itself is not the issue.

Simply said, a Facebook group should not be making decisions for the entire Village, no matter how good or well meaning the project is. It is just a Facebook group; no one voted anyone in for this. It has created a situation where you are making people uncomfortable and pitting one side against another. This should not happen. The group is aggressively collecting money by going door to door, setting up tables at the mail and rec centers and other ways. Some people do not appreciate that and shouldn't have to explain why they do not want to contribute.

The Village of Newell is a beautiful community, with friendly neighbors who look out for each other and enjoy each others company. While this program is very thoughtful and well meaning, please understand that there may be some neighbors who do not agree, for their own reasons.

I'm sure money can be an issue with some people, and they shouldn’t have to explain that to anyone, or be made uncomfortable because of it.

There are lots of questions about the program itself but that is for a different conversation and is not really relevant to this view.

Please, this is just a different view not an argument.

I am curios what others in the Villages have to say on the issue.

Retired
In Buttonwood we implemented AED's some years back but it was done in subunits of the whole village. The Buttonwood islanders was a group of about 50 homes and our social club held several meetings and agreed to move forward. The program included 2 AED's, posts and boxes to secure them and a slush fund to support them for 3 years. This was all done under the auspices of the Villages Fire and Rescue. Also required were 5 to 10 volunteers to get AED and CPR training who further agreed to be first responders. These people were signed up to receive telephone call outs in parallel to the EMS. First responders are usually able to respond within 2 minutes and provide AED and CPR and provide guidance to the house when EMS arrives. In the 5 years we were involved we received 2 call outs. The first was already deceased. In the second our response was 1 minute and we resuscitated the patient and applied CPR for 5 minutes until EMS arrived. The patient survived to the hospital but subsequently passed.

For the AED program to be effective, IMHO, it must be combined with local, trained, neighborhood response.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:33 AM
Default Villages supplied AEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robojo View Post
I say LET THE MORSE FAMILY foot the bill. You don't build the biggest senior community in the world and not include these life saving gadgets!
There are Villages supplied AEDs at the rec centers and on some Villages owned property. A neighborhood needs committed residents to form a response team and The Villages cannot dictate that.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robojo View Post
I say LET THE MORSE FAMILY foot the bill. You don't build the biggest senior community in the world and not include these life saving gadgets!
Will you add to your list….
Haircuts
Groceries
Lawn cutting
Hand holding
Etc.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
More googlage:

Using An AED - FAQ'''s

"How much of the victim's clothing should be removed to carry out defibrillation?

The victim’s chest should be exposed to allow correct placement of the electrode pads. For women this usually means the bra must be removed. Clothes may need to be cut off."

Has that been part of the training? Just watched a Doc Martin episode where the lady's bra was left on for the AED shock. Wondered about that. . .

"Is it okay to place the electrode pads directly on a hairy chest?

Electrode pads are required to make direct skin contact in order for successful defibrillation to occur. In an emergency situation where the chest hair is so excessive as to prevent good adhesion of the electrode pad, the hair must be removed quickly."

Hmmm. . .

I wonder how many folks are prepared to do either, especially when I've heard little in this thread related to decision making even to the level of checking for airway, breathing, and circulation. I sorta kinda know a lot of this stuff, but I'm not at all sure that I could perform properly in all the various possible scenarios. I think I could get the compressions going and keep it up until the Fire Department arrives with *their* AED and the other "right stuff". Pulling an old lady's bra off in public? I don't know. . .
Maybe you should take the AED training to find out how it’s really done.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:49 AM

There was a cardiac arrest on a pickelball court in St Catherine. An AED was retrieved from the rec center and the man was shocked and came around. He apparently said it had happened to him before. The paramedic doing our training said he would have loved to have seen that because in all his years he has never seen someone regain consciousness. It's great that we have this AED technology available to us to augment. Everyone should be trained in CPR, it could be a loved one's life you save.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:05 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,107 Times in 303 Posts

It just strikes me as a scam to sell AED's. But when the AED guy down the street showed up at my door a month after I moved in, $100 seemed cheap to avoid becoming an outcast in my new neighborhood. I paid it and that's the last I ever heard from the guy again. He doesn't even wave if he's in his yard when I walk my dog past his house . Oh, well... I guess that's the price we monkey's pay to live in the troupe.

I don't doubt the noble intentions of the the guy with the AED in his yard. I just can't imagine the scenario where it would save anyone's life but his own. So, what are we saying? I grab my shoulder one morning while trimming the shrubs, and some guy in a golf cart happens by who just happens to know CPR, and the phone number for the guy with the key to the AED just happens to be one of the "favorites" in his phone? Luckily, the AED guy two blocks away happens to be home, and moments later, here he comes screaming down the street with the gadget to save my life? And while the gadget is shocking me back to life, he pulls out his phone and dials 911 to fetch the EMT's from the fire station three blocks away?

I dunno. Seems like a stretch. But never accuse me of challenging monkey customs! Just pay it and quityerbichen!
Old 03-17-2024, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,446 Times in 2,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
It just strikes me as a scam to sell AED's. But when the AED guy down the street showed up at my door a month after I moved in, $100 seemed cheap to avoid becoming an outcast in my new neighborhood. I paid it and that's the last I ever heard from the guy again. He doesn't even wave if he's in his yard when I walk my dog past his house . Oh, well... I guess that's the price we monkey's pay to live in the troupe.

I don't doubt the noble intentions of the the guy with the AED in his yard. I just can't imagine the scenario where it would save anyone's life but his own. So, what are we saying? I grab my shoulder one morning while trimming the shrubs, and some guy in a golf cart happens by who just happens to know CPR, and the phone number for the guy with the key to the AED just happens to be one of the "favorites" in his phone? Luckily, the AED guy two blocks away happens to be home, and moments later, here he comes screaming down the street with the gadget to save my life? And while the gadget is shocking me back to life, he pulls out his phone and dials 911 to fetch the EMT's from the fire station three blocks away?

I dunno. Seems like a stretch. But never accuse me of challenging monkey customs! Just pay it and quityerbichen!
A little understanding of the program can go a long way. There’s no calling the guy with the combo to the AED. As soon as someone calls 911 and reports a cardiac arrest, the AED responders are sent an alert simultaneously to the fire department being toned out.
Our village is broken into zones. When the call goes out the trained responders in the zone where the incident is gets a text alert along with an automated phone message. In most cases the two adjacent zones to the incident will also be activated just to ensure an adequate number of people respond.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-17-2024, 10:30 AM

I wanted to add some info to this. I've been in the fire service and ems since the mid 80's.

Most importantly the chance of survival diminishes by 10% for every minute it takes to get an AED physically on the patient. The fire dept has a goal of a firehouse within 2.5 miles of a home. With the 911 call, getting on the engine, and driving to the call its 5 minutes. 50% chance. The neighborhood groups add 20% to 30% to the chance of survival.

Absolutely early CPR is the key BUT imagine you rearranged your spark plug wires on your car in the wrong order. You can try to start that car all day and it will never run. A heart rhythm is like those spark plug wires. You can do CPR until the cows come home BUT if the heart is in the wrong rhythm the cpr isn't going to help. Shock the heart into the right rhythm and you are ready to have cpr start than engine.

I read a lot in this thread about the fire dept arriving first. The Villages Fire Rescue is BUSY. They do tons of medical calls every day. You don't need to believe me. Download the pulsepoint app to your phone. Choose sumter county and watch the calls. The unit numbers for the vehicles are shown for each call. Look how many do call after call. While the villlages wants firehouses every 2.5 miles to each home realize your unit can easily be on another call and now your waiting for the one 5 miles or 7.5 miles away. It is what it is. Look at the app and see how busy they are. You will be surprised.

Someone said "AED's run on batteries and in some cases are $2,000" I think they meant the brand new AED is $2,000. The unit the FD recommends now is a little under $2,000 which includes the battery which often is good for several years.

Someone said "what prevents these from being stolen?" many have padlocks and are keyed the same for the AED program and the rescuers are issued padlock keys.

Someone said "Actually the fire department has a program that a box holding a key can be placed on your home to gain entry" this is called a knox box and the villages fire rescue has keys which open the knox box. All of the knox boxes in the village are keyed alike so they can open it in an emergency and pull out your home key. I installed one, it was easy. With sales tax and shipping it was under $230. The vendor is VSC Fire & Security in Orlando 407-679-3332. You want the residential one. here is a short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N-xXB2510o

Last edited by jayteadunn; 03-17-2024 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:42 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteadunn View Post
I wanted to add some info to this. I've been in the fire service and ems since the mid 80's.

Most importantly the chance of survival diminishes by 10% for every minute it takes to get an AED physically on the patient. The fire dept has a goal of a firehouse within 2.5 miles of a home. With the 911 call, getting on the engine, and driving to the call its 5 minutes. 50% chance. The neighborhood groups add 20% to 30% to the chance of survival.

Absolutely early CPR is the key BUT imagine you rearranged your spark plug wires on your car in the wrong order. You can try to start that car all day and it will never run. A heart rhythm is like those spark plug wires. You can do CPR until the cows come home BUT if the heart is in the wrong rhythm the cpr isn't going to help. Shock the heart into the right rhythm and you are ready to have cpr start than engine.

I read a lot in this thread about the fire dept arriving first. The Villages Fire Rescue is BUSY. They do tons of medical calls every day. You don't need to believe me. Download the pulsepoint app to your phone. Choose sumter county and watch the calls. The unit numbers for the vehicles are shown for each call. Look how many do call after call. While the villlages wants firehouses every 2.5 miles to each home realize your unit can easily be on another call and now your waiting for the one 5 miles or 7.5 miles away. It is what it is. Look at the app and see how busy they are. You will be surprised.

Someone said "AED's run on batteries and in some cases are $2,000" I think they meant the brand new AED is $2,000. The unit the FD recommends now is a little under $2,000 which includes the battery which often is good for several years.

Someone said "what prevents these from being stolen?" many have padlocks and are keyed the same for the AED program and the rescuers are issued padlocks.

Someone said "Actually the fire department has a program that a box holding a key can be placed on your home to gain entry" this is called a knox box and the villages fire rescue has keys which open the knox box. All of the knox boxes in the village are keyed alike so they can open it in an emergency and pull out your home key. I installed one, it was easy. With sales tax and shipping it was under $230. The vendor is VSC Fire & Security in Orlando 407-679-3332. You want the residential one. here is a short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N-xXB2510o

All great points and very topical/germane to TV. Thank your for your public safety service sir
Old 03-17-2024, 10:54 AM
Default Resuscitation Algorithms

I am taken aback by the years of public education and the lack of understanding of the general public for the whole issue of initial response and why it is set up the way it is.

The overlying idea of 'CPR' and 'AED' programs is to educate the public to recognize an emergency and activate the rest of the system. They work hand in hand. Then, you go through what you learned in your classes. Here is an outline of initial response and further steps:

https://cpr.heart.org/en/resuscitati...nes/algorithms

Pretty complicated, isn't it? But would not happen if you did not activate the system. The percentage survival drops off greatly if you do not have a shockable rhythm. So you do that as soon as you can. The heart pumping itself is much better than even the most efficient CPR. Doing compressions without breaths was added in the algorithm to remove hesitancy of rescuers to start, so at least something is done and more people taught to activate the rest of the system. This did not replace the 'older' methods of compressions and breaths. There is BLS, ACLS, PALS, and many others... CPR and AED is only a small part.

So at least go out and take one of the classes so you know something about EMS and initial medical response. It does not take much time. Guess that more public education is still needed to get the word out.

Finally, go out and live life. There are many people, actities and places to go here. This is only a small if rare event in our groups. We have a great community here and need to be thankful for families and neighbors. Especially those neighbors willing to organize for public service and learn new things.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:03 AM
Sage

We have a village coordinator who sends emails of things going on.
When we started our AED program an email was sent to everyone indicating the cost. We were asked to drop off at one of the residents. (THERE WAS NO DOOR TO DOOR REQUESTING DONE) Those that wanted to did, there was enough to start the program. There are no scarlet letters on anyone’s house OF THOSE that may have not paid (nobody knows) all are responded to if needed.
Recently monies were requested for maintenance and full filled.
This has been a successful program in The Villages by all accounts.
Be thankful there are neighbors willing to include your village!
Old 03-17-2024, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgInLakeDenham View Post
Thanks for posting this perspective on Facebook groups. I have wondered "who appointed them boss?"....obviously themselves. It's wonderful that people take initiative to do stuff, but your ideas are valid. I along with you am not chastising any group and I believe them to have good intentions.

That being said, the same thing is happening in Lake Denham and I believe my neighbors want AED's but the only thing I know is.....they're collecting money.

Why I don't know more is purely my fault because:
1. I don't use Facebook
2. I'm a Snow Flake and I'm rarely at my TV home at this point,
but soon to be there full time
3. I haven't sought out the person spearheading the initiative
4. I can't commit to do anything at this time

Here are my thoughts on an AED program:
1. The best why to give an unresponsive person with no pulse is
IMMEDIATE INITIATION OF CPR...so teach everyone CPR
2. There is a good chance that the pulseless victim is in an
UNSHOCKABLE RYHTHM AND THE AED DOESN'T HELP SO
TEACH EVERYONE CPR
3. AED's do not provide CPR
4. AED's run on batteries and in some cases are $2,000
disposable equipment. Are you purchasing replacement
batteries and who is funding that over the years? Who is
routinely checking for proper functionality? A dead AED is
worthless

I would think that someone wanting AED's would first talk to the entire neighborhood and rally the troops. Find out who knows ACLS and CPR. Who has done CPR. Who has used defibrillators to shock people into a survivable rhythm. Get a team of folks that are in the know and not afraid to help in an emergency. Have a phone list of folks that can and will help. An AED looking nice in a weatherproof box may give you warm and fuzziness but is worthless until properly utilized.

Again I'm not being mean.....I'm being realistic
I also don't use Facebook because I hate Zucherdork.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:54 AM

Sounds like another Newbee, I have been here many, many years, second home. Both times residents of the Village organized and had the AED’s installed and monies collected. Whether a house hold contributed or not, all were included! Up keep is also done the same way. Watch What You Wish For!

Tags
group, program, view, people, aed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.