News for New Areas South

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2016, 09:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Getting put in the FEMA flood zone is a disaster. After taking a big hit with Superstorm Sandy, FEMA decided to upgrade their flood plain maps, and added areas into the flood zone. If you want to buy a house with a mortgage backed by the federal government, you are required to purchase flood insurance. I experienced this when I tried to sell my parents' house in Connecticut. Buyers were required to purchase $2300 of additional flood insurance per year on a $200,000 house. Talk about a deal killer! Luckily, I had an elevation survey ($1000) done on the house to prove it was above the flood plain. After a load of paperwork and time with FEMA, it was removed from the insurance requirement,but not after a lot of good offers fell through. Don't know what the deal will be in the new Villages if they are in the 100-year FEMA flood plain. I'm sure few will be willing to add $$$$ flood insurance to their mortgage payments.

Retirement is supposed to be easy street, not flooded street. Maybe designer houses on stilts ? As an upside you could install real hardwood flooring. [emoji848]
Old 05-10-2016, 09:50 AM
Sage

That is why the zone designation you are in matters. I used to own a home in the AE10 flood zone. While I did not carry flood insurance, it wasn't nearly as high as your experience with your parent's home.

Quote:
Getting put in the FEMA flood zone is a disaster. After taking a big hit with Superstorm Sandy, FEMA decided to upgrade their flood plain maps, and added areas into the flood zone. If you want to buy a house with a mortgage backed by the federal government, you are required to purchase flood insurance. I experienced this when I tried to sell my parents' house in Connecticut. Buyers were required to purchase $2300 of additional flood insurance per year on a $200,000 house. Talk about a deal killer! Luckily, I had an elevation survey ($1000) done on the house to prove it was above the flood plain. After a load of paperwork and time with FEMA, it was removed from the insurance requirement,but not after a lot of good offers fell through. Don't know what the deal will be in the new Villages if they are in the 100-year FEMA flood plain. I'm sure few will be willing to add $$$$ flood insurance to their mortgage payments.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Veteran member

Maybe that's the selling point - potential "water views" for every lot!
Old 05-10-2016, 11:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duppa View Post
No news to share? Hmmm... I suppose TVs deep southeast (LaBelle and Osceola Hills) isn't on TOTV radar yet... Will try old-school way...discovering on own.

On that, I do have some good news!

A Publix grocery store and a Citizens Bank office are being built in the shopping area near the Rohan Center... so, the LaBelle-Osceola Hills folk do not have to travel far for essentials. Learned that new Burnsed Rec (and Moyer Rec) are classified as "under construction"... With Burnsed RUMORED to be open soon.

Heard that the postal stations in these areas are opened when residents hit 20% of build... not sure where mail goes...

While I hoped that others in-the-know could/would chime in, as I learn more, I will update information.

As to the suggestion placed about "rumors"... news is news...

Presuming to speak for the new TV South-Easterns, "we" are thrilled to be residents of what looks to be the most amazing retirement place on earth.
The developer has already announced two new small building projects up on the north end by hwy 42, and has received approval for a new village (1000 acres?) south of hwy 44. I estimate TV is about 50% built out.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I thought all mortgage companies required flood insurance if the house was in a flood zone?
Old 05-10-2016, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I noticed that The Village of Fenney will be located within the 100 Yr. FEMA flood zone. Are other areas of the Villages also located in a flood zone?

Every place in the country is located in a Fema Flood Zone.
Some are more prone to flooding than others.

Even small towns in Ohio are in Fema Flood Zones. Flood Plain Mapping Update Information

I think some folks are activists without a cause to support.

What are flood zones? - Floodsmart.gov

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-10-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:42 PM
Sage

Zone A
Zone A is the flood insurance rate zone that corresponds to the 100-
year floodplains that
are determined in the Flood Insurance St
udy (FIS) by approximate methods. Because
detailed hydraulic analyses
are not performed for such ar
eas, no BFEs or depths are
shown within this zone. Mandatory fl
ood insurance purchase requirements apply.

Zone AE and A1-A30
Zones AE and A1-A30 are the flood insurance rate zones that correspond to the
100-year floodplains that are determined in the FIS by detailed methods. In most
instances, BFEs derived from the detailed
hydraulic analyses are shown at selected
intervals within this zone. Mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements apply.

Zone AH
Zone AH is the flood insurance rate zone that corresponds to the areas of 100-year
shallow flooding with a constant water-surface elevation (usually areas of ponding)
where average depths are between 1 and 3 feet. The BFEs derived from the detailed
hydraulic analyses are shown at selected intervals within this zone. Mandatory flood
insurance purchase requirements apply.

Zone AO
Zone AO is the flood insurance rate zone that corresponds to the areas of 100-year
shallow flooding (usually sheet flow on sloping terrain) where average depths are
between 1 and 3 feet. The depth should be averaged along the cross section and
then along the direction of flow to determine the extent of the zone. Average flood
depths derived from the detailed hydraulic analyses are shown within this zone. In
addition, alluvial fan flood hazards are shown as Zone AO on the FIRM. Mandatory
flood insurance purchase requirements apply.

Zone AR
Zone AR is the flood insurance rate zone used to depict areas protected from flood
hazards by flood control structures, such as a levee, that are being restored. FEMA
will consider using the Zone AR designation
for a community if the flood protection
system has been deemed restorable by a Feder
al agency in consultation with a local
project sponsor; a minimum level of flood protection is still provided to the
community by the system; and restoration
of the flood protection system is
scheduled to begin within a designated time period and in accordance with a
progress plan negotiated between the community and FEMA. Mandatory purchase
requirements for flood insurance will apply in Zone AR, but the rate will not exceed
the rate for unnumbered A zones if the structure is built in compliance with Zone AR
floodplain management regulations.
For floodplain management in Zone AR areas, elevation is not required for
improvements to existing structures. However, for new construction, the structure
must be elevated (or floodproofed for non-residential structures) such that the lowest
floor, including basement, is a maximum of 3 feet above the highest adjacent
existing grade if the depth of the base flood elevation (BFE) does not exceed 5 feet
at the proposed development site. For infill si
tes, rehabilitation of existing structures,
or redevelopment of previously developed areas, there is a 3 foot elevation
requirement regardless of the depth of the BFE at the project site.
The Zone AR designation will be removed and the restored flood control system
shown as providing protection from the 1% annual chance flood on the NFIP map
upon completion of the restoration project and submittal of all the necessary data to
FEMA.

Zone A99
Zone A99 is the flood insurance rate zone that corresponds to areas of the 100-year
floodplains that will be protected by
a Federal flood protection system where
construction has reached specified statutory milestones. No BFEs or depths are
shown within this zone. Mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements apply.

Zone D
The Zone D designation on NFIP maps is used for areas where there are possible
but undetermined flood hazards. In areas designated as Zone D, no analysis of flood
hazards has been conducted. Mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements do
not apply, but coverage is available. The flood insurance rates for properties in Zone
D are commensurate with the uncertainty of the flood risk.

Zone V
Zone V is the flood insurance rate zone that corresponds to the 100-year coastal
floodplains that have additional hazards associated with storm waves. Because
approximate hydraulic analyses are performed for such areas, no BFEs are shown
within this zone. Mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements apply.

Zone VE
Zone VE is the flood insurance rate zone that corresponds to the 100-year coastal
floodplains that have additional hazards associated with storm waves. BFEs derived
from the detailed hydraulic analyses are shown at selected intervals within this zone.
Mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements apply.

Zones B, C, and X
Zones B, C, and X are the flood insurance rate zones that correspond to areas
outside the 100-year floodplains, areas of 100-year sheet flow flooding where
average depths are less than 1 foot, areas of 100-year stream flooding where the
contributing drainage area is less than 1 square mile, or areas protected from the
100-year flood by levees. No BFEs or depths are shown within this zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
That is why the zone designation you are in matters. I used to own a home in the AE10 flood zone. While I did not carry flood insurance, it wasn't nearly as high as your experience with your parent's home.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
The developer has already announced two new small building projects up on the north end by hwy 42, and has received approval for a new village (1000 acres?) south of hwy 44. I estimate TV is about 50% built out.
That would be a rolling 50%!
Old 05-10-2016, 02:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Zone A
Zone A is the flood insurance rate zone that corresponds to the 100-
year floodplains that
are determined in the Flood Insurance St
udy (FIS) by approximate methods. Because
detailed hydraulic analyses
are not performed for such ar
eas, no BFEs or depths are
shown within this zone. Mandatory fl
ood insurance purchase requirements apply.

Zone AE and A1-A30
Zones AE and A1-A30 are the flood insurance rate zones that correspond to the
100-year floodplains that are determined in the FIS by detailed methods. In most
instances, BFEs derived from the detailed
hydraulic analyses are shown at selected
intervals within this zone. Mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements apply.

Zone AH
Zone AH is the flood insurance rate zone that corresponds to the areas of 100-year
shallow flooding with a constant water-surface elevation (usually areas of ponding)
where average depths are between 1 and 3 feet. The BFEs derived from the detailed
hydraulic analyses are shown at selected intervals within this zone. Mandatory flood
insurance purchase requirements apply.

Zone AO
Zone AO is the flood insurance rate zone that corresponds to the areas of 100-year
shallow flooding (usually sheet flow on sloping terrain) where average depths are
between 1 and 3 feet. The depth should be averaged along the cross section and
then along the direction of flow to determine the extent of the zone. Average flood
depths derived from the detailed hydraulic analyses are shown within this zone. In
addition, alluvial fan flood hazards are shown as Zone AO on the FIRM. Mandatory
flood insurance purchase requirements apply.

Zone AR
Zone AR is the flood insurance rate zone used to depict areas protected from flood
hazards by flood control structures, such as a levee, that are being restored. FEMA
will consider using the Zone AR designation
for a community if the flood protection
system has been deemed restorable by a Feder
al agency in consultation with a local
project sponsor; a minimum level of flood protection is still provided to the
community by the system; and restoration
of the flood protection system is
scheduled to begin within a designated time period and in accordance with a
progress plan negotiated between the community and FEMA. Mandatory purchase
requirements for flood insurance will apply in Zone AR, but the rate will not exceed
the rate for unnumbered A zones if the structure is built in compliance with Zone AR
floodplain management regulations.
For floodplain management in Zone AR areas, elevation is not required for
improvements to existing structures. However, for new construction, the structure
must be elevated (or floodproofed for non-residential structures) such that the lowest
floor, including basement, is a maximum of 3 feet above the highest adjacent
existing grade if the depth of the base flood elevation (BFE) does not exceed 5 feet
at the proposed development site. For infill si
tes, rehabilitation of existing structures,
or redevelopment of previously developed areas, there is a 3 foot elevation
requirement regardless of the depth of the BFE at the project site.
The Zone AR designation will be removed and the restored flood control system
shown as providing protection from the 1% annual chance flood on the NFIP map
upon completion of the restoration project and submittal of all the necessary data to
FEMA.

Zone A99
Zone A99 is the flood insurance rate zone that corresponds to areas of the 100-year
floodplains that will be protected by
a Federal flood protection system where
construction has reached specified statutory milestones. No BFEs or depths are
shown within this zone. Mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements apply.

Zone D
The Zone D designation on NFIP maps is used for areas where there are possible
but undetermined flood hazards. In areas designated as Zone D, no analysis of flood
hazards has been conducted. Mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements do
not apply, but coverage is available. The flood insurance rates for properties in Zone
D are commensurate with the uncertainty of the flood risk.

Zone V
Zone V is the flood insurance rate zone that corresponds to the 100-year coastal
floodplains that have additional hazards associated with storm waves. Because
approximate hydraulic analyses are performed for such areas, no BFEs are shown
within this zone. Mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements apply.

Zone VE
Zone VE is the flood insurance rate zone that corresponds to the 100-year coastal
floodplains that have additional hazards associated with storm waves. BFEs derived
from the detailed hydraulic analyses are shown at selected intervals within this zone.
Mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements apply.

Zones B, C, and X
Zones B, C, and X are the flood insurance rate zones that correspond to areas
outside the 100-year floodplains, areas of 100-year sheet flow flooding where
average depths are less than 1 foot, areas of 100-year stream flooding where the
contributing drainage area is less than 1 square mile, or areas protected from the
100-year flood by levees. No BFEs or depths are shown within this zone.
Is it possible for you to ascertain from the page displayed by Two Plane just what Zone the new area called Finney is in? As I said before, it appears that every place in the United States is in "The Fema 100 year Flood Plane" but that doesn't mean that all are in elevated danger of flooding.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:25 PM
Sage

The maps are probably out there somewhere on the FEMA site, or elsewhere. I believe it will also show up once the lots are platted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Is it possible for you to ascertain from the page displayed by Two Plane just what Zone the new area called Finney is in? As I said before, it appears that every place in the United States is in "The Fema 100 year Flood Plane" but that doesn't mean that all are in elevated danger of flooding.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

Every place in the country is located in a Fema Flood Zone.
That's simply not true.

FEMA 100 (and 500) year flood zones for the entire country are available from a number of sources (some require payment), or you can look just at Sumter County if you have a Shapefile (SHP) program on your computer.

Downloadable Maps | Sumter County, FL - Official Website
Old 05-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
That's simply not true.

FEMA 100 (and 500) year flood zones for the entire country are available from a number of sources (some require payment), or you can look just at Sumter County if you have a Shapefile (SHP) program on your computer.

Downloadable Maps | Sumter County, FL - Official Website
How do you interpret this?

Copied and pasted directly from the government flood insurance site;

Floodsmart.gov The official site of the National Flood Insurance Program

Call toll free: 1-888-379-9531 or have us call you

Enter Search Term(s):

Home

About The National Insurance Program

Residential Coverage

Commercial Coverage

PolicyHolder Resources

Preparation & Recovery

dotted line

Resources

Agent Site

Agent Locator

Community Rating System

Community Resources

File Your Claim

Frequently Asked Questions

Flood Facts

Media Resources

Toolkits

Email Updates Email Updates

Homeowners insurance typically does not cover flood damage.

Resources

What are flood zones?

Flood zones are land areas identified by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Each flood zone describes that land area in terms of its risk of flooding. Everyone lives in a flood zone–it's just a question of whether you live in a low, moderate, or high risk area.

Back to Frequently Asked Questions: Flood Zone

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-10-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

LOL

I suppose if you go back to the Noah story, then yeah maybe.

Otherwise

http://www.townofmarshfield.org/Coll...signations.pdf

Quote:
C and X (unshaded)

Area of minimal flood hazard, usually depicted on FIRMs as above the 500 year flood level.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
LOL

I suppose if you go back to the Noah story, then yeah maybe.

Otherwise

http://www.townofmarshfield.org/Coll...signations.pdf
That was cut and pasted from the national government flood insurance site. What are flood zones? - Floodsmart.gov

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-10-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:56 AM
Sage

For a majority of people, what really matters is whether you are in a "lettered" zone that requires you to carry flood insurance if you have a mortgage.

Quote:
That was cut and pasted from the national government flood insurance site. What are flood zones? - Floodsmart.gov
Closed Thread

Tags
south, tvs, news, areas, talk, east, open, rec, belle, lands, leesburg, river, hidden, glade, northern, month, moving, closing, developed, brownwood, claims, wait, land, seek, universe

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.