A nice gesture

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
Hopefully the cars you mentioned that were backed up did not have their fannies hanging out into oncoming traffic.
I like considerate people as much as the next fellow does, but the traffic coming off a roadway should not be stopped to let golf cars pass.

Seeing this type of thing confuses those not familiar with gate or roundabout safety (rules of thumb) and they sometimes end up trying to be nice, but causing a hazard.
SO, I humbly post this note to TV auto drivers:

Please:
If I am crossing in my golf car where there is no gate arm..... your moving auto ALWAYS has the right of way. I am prepared to wait my turn.
DON'T hesitate and wave me to cross! (especially when you aren't using your rear view mirror and don't know what your action may trigger behind you!)

When your auto IS at a gate with an arm, and the arm goes up... PROCEED through. You have the right of way.
DO NOT hesitate or stop and wave at my golf car to pass in front of you.. the car(s) behind you are not prepared.
You may be trying to be nice, but it's a bad habit to get into. If you want to be nice, keep both you and I and cars behind you safe.

If I have to wait in a caravan of golf cars before I can cross, SO BE IT.
Being aware and following the proper etiquette is safer, more considerate to all and will provide the best opportunity to teach others by demonstrating the correct way to do this.
Thanks, everyone.
Right on- I usually sit back 10 or 12 feet on the path when crossing or turning onto a road. I refuse offers to pull out.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

The left turn by the gate at Morse is my one exception to wave a car on. If a car is kind enough to let me cross, I accept. If the gate attendants did their job properly, this would not be an issue. They're supposed to lower the gate between each and every car. They don't. Therefore, golf cart drivers hold their breath and cross at gaps that really aren't safe or sit for up to 30 minutes. Simply put, something needs to be done so carts can safely cross (a tunnel would be nice).

I'm not convinced the gentleman who stopped the cars was safe but I'm sure he was greatly appreciated. It is just as dangerous for the golf carts to be backed up into traffic going south on Morse as it is for the cars being backed up going north.

The one thing I found to be in true TV spirit was that not a single car honked to get moving. How nice that they were patient and let the carts safely cross.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-04-2013, 05:51 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyCrocked View Post
Thanks for the story and clarification. Sadly, your clarification won't stop people from picking your post apart.
I agree,People here do that a lot.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 AM
Veteran member

Betty, I hope you'll reconsider. Yes, we occasionally have posters with attitude but most folks here really are so friendly and helpful. If you ever come visit you'll be very impressed by the time you leave. "The friendliest hometown" isn't just a slogan!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:10 AM

Cars keep going. Golf carts wait. Live with it.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,320 Times in 829 Posts

I posted this Feb 23rd

Yesterday I was at the Morse gate in my cart waiting to turn onto the cart bridge from the center of the road. A nice lady is at the resident gate in her car. She proceeds through moves to center lane then stops and waves me across. I refuse because the gate guard keeps waving cars through on the visitor's side. Sure enough a car doesn't want to wait for her and weaves around on her right. Would have nailed me if I would have gone. This happens very often there. It is a very nice jesture to stop but please don't. It creates a very dangerous situation for all.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.