No Access for a Week

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2016, 11:38 PM
Platinum member
Question No Access for a Week

I was in the process of posting a message last Monday when suddenly I lost connection with TOTV.

Since that time I have attempted repeatedly every day to get on the site without success. It times out with no response from the web site.

Then today (Saturday morning at 12:30AM) access is restored.

Did anyone else have this problem, and is there any explanation for why it happened to me (or us?)
Old 04-23-2016, 05:20 AM
Sage

did you try clearing your cashe?
Old 04-23-2016, 05:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Many had problems about ten days ago but they seemed to have fixed that. It was a phisher/spoofer targeting the Internet Service Provider with some kind of involvement with the domain host.

I am sure there are still these phishers/spoofers around like those damn "Nigerians" they seem to be an ever present threat on the Internet. They pop up on my Facebook page a few times a week with creative scams. They pretend to be running a Facebook Lottery and if you send them some money they will give you your winnings-- blah, blah, blah.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-23-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:40 AM
Sage

In the future, try rebooting your router and your computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
I was in the process of posting a message last Monday when suddenly I lost connection with TOTV.

Since that time I have attempted repeatedly every day to get on the site without success. It times out with no response from the web site.

Did anyone else have this problem, and is there any explanation for why it happened to me (or us?)
Old 04-23-2016, 06:57 AM

Yes, I had the same problem for a week and it suddenly came back. I did report the problem.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:

Didn't you get this e-mail?

Dear Talk of The Villages User,

At the beginning of this week we started to get reports from some (not every) user(s) that when they tried to access TOTV they were redirected to other websites other than TOTV. We've been diligently working on this and wanted to give a follow up for those users that were impacted by this.

1) TOTV software was NOT hacked or compromised.
2) Not all users were impacted - so you may not even realize there was an issue.
3) The company that hosts the server that TOTV is on had the issue.
4) Any website on that server was being redirected.
5) We didn't have available updates sooner as we were waiting on the hosting company to fix and report back facts.
6) No user account or password was compromised as the TOTV software was secure and had no virus, malware, or corrupt files on it.
7) After the issue was fixed your ISP would be refreshing their data and this propagation time will vary in the amount of time to update. Century Link users seem to have been the most affected by this.

We want to apologize 1) for the delay in updating those users impacted but we were trying to get all the facts together on the issue and 2) want to thank you for your patience during this frustrating period over these days!

Thanks for all your patience and suppport!

TOTV Team
Old 04-23-2016, 05:26 PM
Platinum member
Smile Back at last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
did you try clearing your cashe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
In the future, try rebooting your router and your computer.
I might have tried these things if the problem involved more than one web site. It was only TOTV. And of course, the computer was turned on and off daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Many had problems about ten days ago but they seemed to have fixed that. It was a phisher/spoofer targeting the Internet Service Provider with some kind of involvement with the domain host.
Yes, I was aware of the former problem, but I received a message from TOTV that said that issue had been resolved before it began to happen to me.

Anyway............ I'm glad to be back.

Missed you guys.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
I might have tried these things if the problem involved more than one web site. It was only TOTV. And of course, the computer was turned on and off daily.

Yes, I was aware of the former problem, but I received a message from TOTV that said that issue had been resolved before it began to happen to me.

Anyway............ I'm glad to be back.

Missed you guys.
We need a voice of reason. Glad your back to!
Closed Thread

Tags
site, access, 1230am, morning, today, web, response, saturday, explanation, happened, problem, restored, message, monday, suddenly, posting, week, process, lost, connection, day, success, repeatedly, attempted, totv

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.