No campaign signs allowed ???

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Sage
Default Getting my fix

I was thinking that when I feel the need to see campaign signs... I can go to Ocala!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
What's more important to me than your distain for our political process is that our men and women are fighting, being wounded and are dying, not only to protect our political process but also to allow other countries the opportunity to have this precious freedom.

If they are so objectionable to you, I suggest that it should be you who moves to a country where they are not allowed. I see that you don't even like my right to post my opinion because it differs from yours. Do you see a pattern developing here?
just because i dont agree with you i should move???? i never did like your opinions.!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=CaliforniaGirl;393615]Unfortunately, we don't know who the good guys and the bad guys are based on advertising. We just know who has the most money to spend on advertising.

My sentiments exactly.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
just because i dont agree with you i should move???? i never did like your opinions.!
I see now. You are not only annoyed by the American political system, you are also annoyed by those who defend it. Hmmmmmm!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I see now. You are not only annoyed by the American political system, you are also annoyed by those who defend it. Hmmmmmm!
What do our brave soldiers have to do with restrictions that are in place before you buy your house?
AS a veteran I do not like someone using them as some pawn for your argument. . You can do it because of our free country.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

The tone of this thread is beginning to sound like the political forum. No?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
The tone of this thread is beginning to sound like the political forum. No?
Yes it is and I am sorry that I took Talk Host's bait.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
What's more important to me than your distain for our political process is that our men and women are fighting, being wounded and are dying, not only to protect our political process but also to allow other countries the opportunity to have this precious freedom.

If they are so objectionable to you, I suggest that it should be you who moves to a country where they are not allowed. I see that you don't even like my right to post my opinion because it differs from yours. Do you see a pattern developing here?
Political process, huh?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Platinum member

It's about trashin up the place, take your politics to the ballot box or send in your letter to the editor. IMHO sign restriction is not violating peoples rights.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Gold member

The phrase, Tempest In A Teapot, comes to mind.

How big of an issue/concern is this? If it were a big deal to a sizeable number of residents and perspective residents wouldn't we have heard about it before now and wouldn't there be all sorts of outcry etc.?

Interesting to note that the OP hasn't weighed in since posting his/her concern.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Sage

"Homeowner, condo associations: different situation

Although cities and other government entities are constrained by the First Amendment in regulating political yard signs, there is no similar restraint imposed on private homeowner and condominium associations.

Cities are considered state actors subject to the provisions of the U.S. Constitution. Homeowner associations are private parties that do not qualify as state actors. The First Amendment generally protects people only from government interference with speech.

For example, a Pennsylvania state court ruled in Midlake on Big Boulder Lake, Condominium Association v. Cappuccio (1996) that a condominium association did not violate the First Amendment by removing political yard signs in accordance with a section of the association’s declaration of rules prohibiting the posting of signs at individual units. The court reasoned that there was no state action, because the association was a private party...."

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.com/...pic=yard_signs
Old 09-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:

Wow,I remember this line of reasoning back in the Viet Nam war era. Here's the flashback... 'America, love it or leave it'.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:05 AM
Gold member

just wondering if the talk host (founder) has left the villages - i thought i read this in a prior post - maybe - too much noise -
'the villages', love it or leave it'.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
Unfortunately, we don't know who the good guys and the bad guys are based on advertising. We just know who has the most money to spend on advertising. And, generally speaking, the more money to spend, the more "favors" they are going to owe if elected. Which is why we get "bridges to nowhere", and why Medicare will approve $70,000/yr nursing home care for someone who doesn't need full-time care but will not approve $8,000/yr for a part-time home health care worker. Until lobbyists are outlawed and we have serious campaign contribution reform, when election time comes we get to choose between the very corrupt and the not-quite-so corrupt. Unfortunately, the not-yet-corrupt generally doesn't have the funds to make it past the primaries.
Well said...get rid of the lobbyists. Our so called representatives are supposed to represent we the people! I never pay attention to political ads, signs, buttons, etc. they don't sway me but I really don't like to see them littering neighborhoods, streets, etc. (I have beautiful yard art that I will have to keep in my backyard...but that is ok with me!) I chose to move to TV because I love the lifestyle, the beauty of it, and the wonderful, happy people I have met both here on TOTV and while I was visiting! If there are rules to follow so be it.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I personally can put up with it for 90 days every two or four years. I feel it's my investment in our country.
When is it ever 90 days? More like 8-10 months in a prez year.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.