No Lines waiting for Covid Shots in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2021, 05:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Governor Desantis is planning to have Publix administer shots and again he says our age group is next in line.

Here is what I hope; that we can fill out our forms and receive our shots somehow in a little tent in our local Publix Parking lot. We always get our seasonal flu shots at Publix, inside at the Pharmacy, but to me it seems safer with so many people having it outdoors somehow.

Maybe around the back with everyone in their cars single file.

I have the forms from online that question you as to your current state of health. Does anyone know if there are release forms to sign?
you were the very 1st person i thought of, & hoped you guys would have been the lucky few to get it--fingers crossed
Old 01-08-2021, 06:21 AM

With very few doses of the vaccine being available it does tend to limit the lines. Since it is almost impossible to get an appointment I guess that also keeps the lines down...right?
Old 01-08-2021, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

It is impressive that The Villages/Sumter County have been unable to get any quantity of significance.

It is also impressive the complete lack of of information regarding distribution intent.

Especially in light of the fact there is a private sector capability currently in place....plus The Villages has organized mass vaccinations for the flu in the past via the recreation centers......well communicated and executed.

So yes, some of us wonder what the real problem is....that defies communication.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
It is impressive that The Villages/Sumter County have been unable to get any quantity of significance.

It is also impressive the complete lack of of information regarding distribution intent.

Especially in light of the fact there is a private sector capability currently in place....plus The Villages has organized mass vaccinations for the flu in the past via the recreation centers......well communicated and executed.

So yes, some of us wonder what the real problem is....that defies communication.
Apples and Oranges.....flu vaccine distribution has had years to increase manufacturing and organize distribution. COVID is months into mass manufacturing and and the State is months into organizing distribution. The last mile is always the problem......331 million in the US, many trying to find the vaccine.....about 10 million doses have been distributed.....and every State believes they need it more than any other State......this will take awhile.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-08-2021, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,905 Times in 916 Posts

Mass Doctor I know said that his contacts in FL have said they they have never done anything like this, ie, the state didn't really exist in the 1940s and 50's like the northeastern states, so they have no experience, and therefore, no leadership.

When state public health tries to get too specific, and require too much documentation with poorly set up systems, and time limits on doses, you get these scenarios.

66% of New York City’s Vaccine Doses Sit Unused as Virus Numbers Soar - The New York Times

or this

Northern California city scrambles to set up emergency COVID-19 vaccine clinic after hospital freezer failure

The other problem, is the second shot, having the right information to make sure the second follow up shot is done on time, and there are facilities different than the initial shots which will be full for first shots. . .

So just keep in mind that to do two shots, and a continuous process all the way through, you need twice the people power and twice the facility spaces until the population is complete. . . not easy folks, especially with beaucrats with little to zero planning and execution processes

ie, keep reality in check and hope that you don't need to go to the hospital for an emergency anything else
Old 01-08-2021, 03:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
Online vaccination signup for Sumter County? It opened at 8 am. Couldn’t enter the site until 8am sharp. I entered at 8. I wasn’t allowed to make a request until 8:06. I did, in seconds, then waited until 8:14, when I was informed that there are no more appointment times available. Alas. I knew it was too good to be true.
I too loggen in a 8 only to find that the "ticket" page didn't work, tried a few minutes later and was looked out.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Michigan has the Fire Stations in neighborhoods giving vaccine. No lines, you are notified as to time and date. Makes sense with qualified personnel at every station
Old 01-08-2021, 08:25 PM

Just saw that Sumter County will have 340 doses for the week of January 11th. At that rate, Sumter County vaccinations won’t be complete for a little more than 7 years. After that, we can get our second dose. Pretty pathetic for the county with the highest average age in the U.S.

There may be a light at the end of the tunnel, but at this rate it is a very, very long tunnel.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan View Post
Just saw that Sumter County will have 340 doses for the week of January 11th. At that rate, Sumter County vaccinations won’t be complete for a little more than 7 years. After that, we can get our second dose. Pretty pathetic for the county with the highest average age in the U.S.

There may be a light at the end of the tunnel, but at this rate it is a very, very long tunnel.
I thought you were exaggerating, but you weren't. Seven Years.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:27 AM
Default You Were One of the Lucky Ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Why weren't you allowed to make a request until 8:06? I was online at 8:00 as well and immediately made an appointment. Was done by 8:03 (I used a form filler app to fill their form as I figured by the time I typed it in manually everything would be gone since I type slowly). The 280 appointments for tomorrow (Thurs) were taken in 8 minutes according to the person who called me to verify my information.
You were one of the lucky ones. I hit the button as soon as the computer ticked to 8:00am and was informed all the reservations were taken.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:51 AM
Sage

There are two incorrect assumptions in your prediction. First of all, not everyone will opt to take the vaccine. Secondly, there is no reason to believe the rate of vaccination won't increase over the next few months as production of Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines ramps up and the AstraZeneca and J and J vaccines receive emergency use authorization.

Quote:

Old 01-09-2021, 10:06 AM
Sage

Quote:

Or.....it could be a train!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2021, 10:55 AM
Gold member

Don't worry, this will all be gone when it warms up in the spring.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
Don't worry, this will all be gone when it warms up in the spring.
That is what was said last spring about the coming summer!!!!
Old 01-09-2021, 12:36 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
All those people will be vaccinated before I am anyway. I'm not in the "at risk" group. I'm not over 65, I have no illnesses that make me more at risk than anyone else, and now that I'm retired, I'm no longer an essential worker.

But when it's my "turn" - I'll want to know that people who SHOULD be vaccinated, AND WANT to be vaccinated, were able to get theirs - before I get mine.

Again - just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Having permission to get something doesn't require that I get ahead of someone else who needs it more than I do.

I am ALLOWED to take a seat on the train. But if I see someone who needs the seat more than I do, I'll stand so they can sit.

I am ENTITLED to eat every single apple in the bag of apples that I bought at the supermarket. But if I see someone in passing who appears hungry, I will give them one of my apples.

Because it's the right thing to do.

"Because it's the right thing to do."

All too many people, have either forgot this great advice on how to live their lives, or never believed in it in the first place. While there are lots of people who like to point to younger generations and lump them all together, claiming a supposed general selfishness and "me first" attitude, they're watching a lot of us older generation(s) and shaking their heads at the hypocrisy.
Closed Thread

Tags
lines, villages, shots, waiting, covid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.