No more Entertainment at the Squares

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2020, 09:55 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts
Default No more Entertainment at the Squares

It appears that we could lose our entertainment on the squares.
I just read a post from someone running for commissioner (not an incumbent) that he would not agree to use to use the hotel tax (this is the money that is currently used to fund entertainment at the Brownwood and Lake Sumter squares).
So, essentially, entertainment could be gone on Brownwood and Lake Sumter squares.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:49 PM
Veteran member

I thought the business owners paid for the nightly entertainment. No?

kathy
Old 08-14-2020, 03:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

10 out of 10 Pinocchios!

File with Duke Golf Cart Path and Historical Bridge being ripped down thread. Another no go.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Squares entertainment sell houses.
They will continue!
Old 08-14-2020, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I just read a post from someone running for commissioner (not an incumbent) that he would not agree to use to use the hotel tax (this is the money that is currently used to fund entertainment at the Brownwood and Lake Sumter squares).
So, essentially, entertainment could be gone on Brownwood and Lake Sumter squares.
I disagree. One of the huge selling points is 365 days live entertainment.

Think about it the concession stands, restaurants, various businesses, all rely on " Live Entertainment ".

Rocky, Studio 77, Valerie G, Scooter, etc. etc. will all be back once the Vaccine is out which will be pretty soon.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

The funding for the town squares entertainment comes from both the Sumter County Tourism Development Council and The Villages (the company not the CDDs, amenity fees, or any other resident funded source). Both have agreed to contribute $120,000 this year for the entertainment. The SCTDC collects about $600K annually with the 2% short term (<6 month) occupancy tax. It is estimated that 20,000+ room nights annually are contributed to hotel occupancy in Sumter County as a result of the town square entertainment investment. Sumter County benefits significantly from additional tax revenues collect from visitors' patronage of local businesses, including restaurants, gas stations, and shopping. The town square merchants, who contribute significantly to The Villages portion of the contribution, benefit by the increased business before and during the time the entertainment is provided.

Does it, the entertainment, help sell houses, absolutely. Selling houses keeps a significant segment of the workforce in Sumter and a dozen surrounding counties employed and is the primary economic engine of Sumter County. Thousands of jobs rely directly on the construction of homes in The Villages, and many thousands more off-site 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tier jobs supporting the construction industry also rely on this work. The construction of homes also drives a substantial secondary construction industry in the tri-county area - the companies you hire to do work on your home after you buy it - hundreds of small businesses employing a few thousand people. I'm not saying that the entertainment is responsible for all these jobs, but it does contribute positively to the overall economy of the area.

And, we as the residents, get to enjoy free entertainment every night (excluding the COVID period) at a safe and convenient location. Don't shoot the goose that lays the golden egg.

I would like to see the original poster site their reference for their post. If in fact some candidate is espousing such a position, then they are demonstrating a lack of understanding of the basic economics of Sumter County and calls into question what other areas of how the county works do they lack understanding. Their suitability for this leadership position would then be questionable. While I don't totally agree or like some of the positions of the current County Commissioner, the lack of understanding already demonstrated by some of the candidates running to replace them is even more scary and could lead us (Sumter County) down a self-destructive path. Perhaps the old adage "better the devil you know than the devil you don't" has some play here. Think long and hard before you vote.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776

Last edited by Goldwingnut; 08-14-2020 at 06:22 AM. Reason: clarification of room nights
Old 08-14-2020, 06:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
I have no idea if you are factual or not.

Provide a link to the alleged post or retract the claim.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Those trying to get onto the county commision have basically vowed to do everything anti-developer. How is this any different than doing everything pro-developer?
Old 08-14-2020, 06:36 AM

Wondering why the County Commission candidates would desire to damage the County that they want to represent?
The developer built a nice place here hence it grows exponentially. Yes he makes a nice profit from willing buyers of his product. Is that Bad?

Last edited by Neils; 08-14-2020 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 08-14-2020, 07:19 AM
Veteran member

Hopefully I've uploaded the file correctly. He's said it on multiple threads. He would not use the $120,000 for square entertainment. He would expect the developer to pay for it.
Here is a link...
Sumter County Politics Public Group | Facebook
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Sumter quote.JPG
Views:	9241
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	85755  
Old 08-14-2020, 07:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
The funding for the town squares entertainment comes from both the Sumter County Tourism Development Council and The Villages (the company not the CDDs, amenity fees, or any other resident funded source). Both have agreed to contribute $120,000 this year for the entertainment.

I would like to see the original poster site their reference for their post. If in fact some candidate is espousing such a position, then they are demonstrating a lack of understanding of the basic economics of Sumter County and calls into question what other areas of how the county works do they lack understanding. Their suitability for this leadership position would then be questionable. While I don't totally agree or like some of the positions of the current County Commissioner, the lack of understanding already demonstrated by some of the candidates running to replace them is even more scary and could lead us (Sumter County) down a self-destructive path. Perhaps the old adage "better the devil you know than the devil you don't" has some play here. Think long and hard before you vote.
Wise words Goldwingnut. Below is another thread (from a different Facebook group) where Oren Miller says again he would stop funding square entertainment.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Miller quote.JPG
Views:	9075
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	85757  
Old 08-14-2020, 07:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Hopefully I've uploaded the file correctly. He's said it on multiple threads. He would not use the $120,000 for square entertainment. He would expect the developer to pay for it.
Here is a link...
Sumter County Politics Public Group | Facebook
Thanks, Mr. Miller's comments just proved my point from above, he doesn't realize what the developer is actually already paying half, if not more, and demonstrating his lack of knowledge and understanding of even simple things in Sumter County.

Being anti-developer is not the same as being pro-resident. There are many win-win issues for the residents, the county, and the developer. Killing the cow today may put steak on the table tonight but you'll yearn for the milk and the cheese come tomorrow and all the days after.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 08-14-2020, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quite an extrapolation from "... heard from SOMEONE running for commissioner..."

Hence the extrapolation is the someone heard is elected.
The someone heard single handedly opposes spending of certain monies.

And everybody else would just fold and go along witht the newbie commissioner.

This definitely goes in the bridge be gone and build out files!!
Old 08-14-2020, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

Interesting information.

Now it has us thinking about whom to vote for.

I think that free entertainment will continue but if the county stops paying its share where will the funds needed to fund this come from?
Old 08-14-2020, 08:16 AM

Everyone needs to consider what and who affects your lifestyle and VALUE of your home!!
Trust me 20+ yrs as a Realtor.
Closed Thread

Tags
entertainment, squares, lake, brownwood, sumter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.